• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF & Tampa Light Rail

RickUSF

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,747
  • Days Won:  3

I don't think anyone was really shocked that it didn't pass. Now is not the time to honestly expect the under / un employed to cough up a non-sunsetting tax for a 'jewel' in the city crown.  Unfortunately, years ago, Tampa/Hillsborough decided to follow a for-the-car template of development, and now they want to shift that. There was an interesting map in the trib showing where support was heaviest (post voting) and - as expected - it was along the proposed route. Good comments from both Steve Otto (sour grapes) and Pam Iorio in today's trib about the issue.

I've used public transport in San Francisco and throughout Germany and Austria. Would I like to park the car? Sure. But I'm not about to walk a mile to a bus stop that gets serviced every hour. There's a reason why buses dont cut through Carrollwood.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  521
  • Days Won:  0

so sad it got rejected.  I know we will never be new york city, but I do think a light rail can survive in a southern city (see Houston, Charlotte, and phoenix is a good example).  In Phoenix, there's a stop at Arizona State University, and a lot of students/faculty/workers use the light rail in Phoenix to get to school.  and Arizona State is very much like USF.  I'm not saying we will be completely without our cars, we are a southern city for crying out loud and are built on urban sprawl, but having a light rail will cut down on traffic tremendously.

people who voted no, don't complain about traffic for the next 10 years.  my only hang up was the poor planning by the committee, especially not incorporating a stop on columbus, between himes/dale mabry, that services distance to RJS.  let's be honest, I'm not gonna hop on the light rail just to get to the mall, but majority of the usage of the locals would be used for sporting events/gamedays at RJS.  for crying out loud, we are a Super Bowl destination, the ridership on those dates (as well as the bowl games that we host at RJS) would generate tons of money.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,747
  • Days Won:  3

Let's talk about Charlotte, as that's home.

The same pitch used here was used in Charlotte about the plethora of jobs it would create and the desire to develop along the route. Well...let's just say that ridership is 'light' and the projected development is 'somewhat lagging projections'. If you want to blame the economy, you need to distance yourself from the position that the mere existence of a rail-stop is necessarily an attraction. Granted, the parking garages are fantastic and safe, and the rail is so much nicer to get from point-x to downtown (vice driving and parkin)....because Charlotte developed downtown. Downtown Charlotte today is absolutely NOTHING like it was 30 years ago. It is a destination weekday and weekend (and was prior to the light rail). Can we honestly say the same of Tampa?

Charlotte has admitted that there is a discrepancy between 'ridership' and 'paid ridership'. It's very easy to hop on to get out of the cold or the heat. A quick look at the ticketing system shows that in the future, access to the train will probably be similar to the monorail in Vegas or BART in San Francisco (e.g. purchase a ticket, insert into reader, turnstile operates). As it is now it's pretty much an 'honor system' that you bought a ticket from one of the vending machines.

Could Tampa benefit from the light rail? Yeah, to a degree, as it has the potential to be an effective people mover - assuming it operates where people (and to a great extent, tourists) see as a destination.  It's just really bad timing and I think people are numb to hearing that every project, be it a new stadium, Curtis Hixon Park, some athletic facility way out in the sticks, or light rail is going to generate jobs and really dump truckloads of cash into the economy. 'Cause there's some very heavyweight research out that that refutes the optimistic bias of proponents. But...light rail is another jewel in the crown, like being a member of the NFL city fraternity. I personally may never attend a Bucs game, but I understand the value to the area (which may not necessarily be tallied in dollars). 

Also, Charlotte wants to expand the route up to the Concord/Kannapolis (gee...what could possibly be up there?) area.

• Content Count:  4,642

any chance this comes back to life in another vote?

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I think that's possible. This won't be the last time we'll see this issue pop up.

• Content Count:  225

I think that's possible. This won't be the last time we'll see this issue pop up.

As much as I want this to happen, I doubt it will.  Tampa is too conservative.  It seems like Orlando is the city that continues to move forward on issues like these.  They already have approval for a commuter rail or light rail.  They alredy have the New Magic Arena that is going to make their downtown even more hopping than what it already is.  I will note, Orlando has the luxury of making ALOT more money from the bed tax than what Tampa can...But still Tampa seems a bit stagnant when it comes to development to help revive the city.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

They should go for a monorail.  LA was offered one for free in 1963 but turned it down.

LA's Worst Transit Decision

• Content Count:  684

As much as I want this to happen, I doubt it will.  Tampa is too conservative.  It seems like Orlando is the city that continues to move forward on issues like these.   They already have approval for a commuter rail or light rail.   They alredy have the New Magic Arena that is going to make their downtown even more hopping than what it already is.   I will note, Orlando has the luxury of making ALOT more money from the bed tax than what Tampa can...But still Tampa seems a bit stagnant when it comes to development to help revive the city.

Hey Goose... Orlando says you can get off your knees now.... I'm calling UCiF Troll on you.... all your posts have some sort of passive aggressive anti USF slander to them and it sounds like you think very highly of UCF and Orlando in your posts... Stop trolling.  Downtown Orlando has been miserable for years and sure their new arena will help revitalize the Parramore area but we both now thats not the heart of downtown.  Orlando got a rotten deal on their commuter rail (insurance and CSX) and their road transportation is a tourist infested cluster-phuck.

• Content Count:  225

As much as I want this to happen, I doubt it will.  Tampa is too conservative.  It seems like Orlando is the city that continues to move forward on issues like these.   They already have approval for a commuter rail or light rail.   They alredy have the New Magic Arena that is going to make their downtown even more hopping than what it already is.   I will note, Orlando has the luxury of making ALOT more money from the bed tax than what Tampa can...But still Tampa seems a bit stagnant when it comes to development to help revive the city.

Hey Goose... Orlando says you can get off your knees now.... I'm calling UCiF Troll on you.... all your posts have some sort of passive aggressive anti USF slander to them and it sounds like you think very highly of UCF and Orlando in your posts... Stop trolling.  Downtown Orlando has been miserable for years and sure their new arena will help revitalize the Parramore area but we both now thats not the heart of downtown.  Orlando got a rotten deal on their commuter rail (insurance and CSX) and their road transportation is a tourist infested cluster-phuck.

LOL.  Wow.  No.  I just been there enough to compare the two cities.  I'm not some Coolaid drinking redneck who blindly supports a city no matter how bad it is.  The politicians want Tampa to be Alabama with palm trees.  I've been in both cities enough to compare the two.  It's fair to say.  If you want to go out in Tampa you pretty much have a few spots you can go to that are spread out (outside of Hyde Park and Westchase)..there isn't that much in Tampa to do (Y-bor = ghetto..Channelside = boring) Orlando, their entertainment is in dense spots (Downtown Orlando, Winter Park, Tourist Area - International Drive, and the bars by UCF).  Have you ever traveled outside Tampa.? 

And the arena is not in the heart of downtown?  You obviously haven't even drove there yet.  You can walk from Church Street, Orange Street, and Wall Street to the new arena.    Just because I'm able to admit when something outside my hometown is good, doesn't mean I'm a UCF/Orlando homer.  I've just been in Tampa long enough to stop defending it.  They can't get a light rail.  I bet you money, they will lose the Rays because they can't build a new Ball Park.  The Trump Towers...well Tampa couldn't even get that done...So I'm just tired ..Tampa is just a stagnant city.  If it wasn't for Hyde Park or WestChase.. I would jump ship in a heartbeath. 

So Redneck, actually take the time to actually take a look at Tampa from an un-biased eye. 

Their arena is walkable from Church St.  I think you are just talking out of your a**

• Content Count:  1,757

Anyone, please go to Gooses posted topics. Every single one is in relation to UCF/Orlando. Doesnt take a genius. You could have even graduated from UCF to see the pattern.

Archived