• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF & Tampa Light Rail

RickUSF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  0

Regarding another vote. Probably not very likely. There is a bit of talk about a 'regional' (multi-county) transit solution, but I think it will be some time before we see the 'light rail' topic brought up for another vote any time soon.

I'd really like to see a well thought-out and presented transit solution brought to the table sometime in the foreseeable future. Hopefully, it's one that focuses on lightrail moreso than the bus system.

Yea I agree, I think people will feel more comfortable voting for something that has a concrete plan.  Interesting read from todays paper:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/nov/18/business-leaders-build-light-rail-leg-to-tampa-air/news-money/

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,642

very nice

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,747
  • Days Won:  3

"It would be manageable to build a bare-bones light rail line between the airport and downtown if it did not have all the bells and whistles some might have wanted at first," Weaver said

Now that's a common sense approach. Start small, show some progress/success and go from there. This is not the economic environment in which to trot out the 'create jobs, millions of dollars' mantra that people have heard so many times before (only to hear 'oops! my bad! after the reality does not equal the hype).  And the airport-to-downtown-hub makes sense for now. Later on...if you want to aleviate road congestion, then look at enhancing the route.

You don't want a glorified monorail stopping at every roadside souvenir stand (applies more to highspeed rail than lite-rail in urban areas).

• Content Count:  521

"It would be manageable to build a bare-bones light rail line between the airport and downtown if it did not have all the bells and whistles some might have wanted at first," Weaver said

Now that's a common sense approach. Start small, show some progress/success and go from there. This is not the economic environment in which to trot out the 'create jobs, millions of dollars' mantra that people have heard so many times before (only to hear 'oops! my bad! after the reality does not equal the hype).  And the airport-to-downtown-hub makes sense for now. Later on...if you want to aleviate road congestion, then look at enhancing the route.

You don't want a glorified monorail stopping at every roadside souvenir stand (applies more to highspeed rail than lite-rail in urban areas).

I can live with that for now.. but we definitely need SOMETHING to relieve the anticipated traffic.  a simple line running from the Airport, along Columbus headed east, then south on Tampa Street, ending at St. Pete Times Forum.. get rid of that stupid ass Ybor/Downtown Trolley Car and use the tracks to continue the light Rail into Ybor

Stops could be at:

Airport (obviously)

International Mall

Dale Mabry (serving RJS)

Tampa Heights

Cass St or Kennedy (serving Tampa Theatre, Children's Museum, Univ of Tampa)

Convention Center

St Pete Times Forum/Channelside District

Ybor City

tracks from Downtown to Ybor are already laid down (from that stupid trolley)..  so basically a connection from Airport to Downtown just to start it off

as long as we are a destination for Super Bowls and college bowl games as home of the Bucs/Bulls, ridership for RJS it will generate tons of money on gamedays.

visiting fans will start staying at hotels in downtown along Columbus ave/Downtown/Ybor, take the train to the game, and take the train from/to the airport.

a good amt of entertainment would be served with this line for toursits also-- Ybor City, Channelside, and Bay Street International Mall

Archived