• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Teddy Bridgewater- QB- Miami Northwestern.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

I can't believe it sounds like you're arguing against having Bridgewater in this recruiting class. You've never seen him play, so you don't know if he is a good passer or not (sounds like he's better than average). Across the board, it seems as though he is a much better (higher) recruit than BJ, Carnes or Grothe ever were. Yes, Carnes and BJ were 4-star recruits on Rivals, but they both had average rankings at best on Scout and ESPN. Bridgewater is ranked 4 and 5 stars on every recruiting webpage. This guy is special, if he wasn't, Holtz wouldn't have invited him on campus for an OV. Holtz knows what's up.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

does he fit Holtz's offense? he's listed as a dual threat. I thought Holtz was trying to get away from that. doesn't seem like his offense would fit this kid's strength.

I bet Holtz and co. could figure out a way to use what could possibly the highest rated USF recruit ever.  Especially considering our extremely limited options at QB.

they didn't really figure out how to use the rivals #8 rated dual threat from 3 years ago(BJ Daniels) so i'm not sure the #2 rated this year is any better suited to their offense.

Ideally you want a dual threat QB because they are so dangerous when on the field. Holtz always had big mobile QB's with a pocket presence. If BJ was bigger and could stand in the pocket and deliver with accuracy while still being able to run like he does then we would be set at QB, but he can't so gotta find a QB who does both.

Pickney averaged less than 4 carries per game his last year with Holtz.

He averaged a total of 5.8 yards rushing per game.

that's not a dual threat. that's a QB that runs a few times on broken pass plays.

this kids game isn't suited for Holtz's offense. just like carnes last year.

Dual Threat doesn't mean you have to run all the time and because they don't doesn't mean they don't fit Holtz system! It's the threat of the athleticism the QB posses to take off whenever he needs to and gash the defense is what were talking about.

Everyone in the country knows Daniels can take off running gaining huge yards and even though he didn't do it much this year teams still have to game plan for it! Thats the point of a dual threat QB.

Holtz wants a dual threat QB, but also wants them to have the skills to stand in the pocket and deliver like a pro set QB. Bridgewater has this!

no he doesn't want a dual threat. he wants a pro set QB.

sure if he can get Cam Newton he's all over it but these "dual" threat QBs are listed this way because they are usually much better runners than they are passers.

that doesn't fit his system. Carnes last year was a highly rated dual threat. he was a terrible passer and that's why i think Holtz blew him off.

Where have you read that Bridgewater is a horrible passer? If he was a horrible passer he wouldn't be a 5-star; he would be rated similar to what Carnes was rated last year. The threat to run is helpful in any offense. Just because he is athletic, that doesn't mean that he cannot pass.

I have no idea what kind of passer he is. perhaps he is a great passer but generally the great passers are listed as pro style qbs.

Carnes was a rivals 4 star. same as bridgewater. carnes was rated #7 overall. bridgewater is rated #2.

like I said maybe he is the next cam newton. i have no idea. but I do know that holtz's system is not suited for a running qb.

BTW BJ Daniels was a 4 star rated the #8 dual threat the year he came out. he is not suited for Holtz's system at all.

I guess maybe you just don't appreciate the meaning of the word "dual" in the phrase "dual threat" If a quarterback can throw and also run a 4.5, they are going to list him as a dual threat quarterback because he can both throw and run. They won't label him a pro style quarterback if he can run a 4.5.

I don't believe 40 times have anything to do with listing them as a dual threat(rivals has him at 4.6 seconds-not sure how reliable these times are). I believe it has to do with how much they actually run the ball in high school. option quarterbacks(generally terrible passers) are listed as dual threats.

Both Carnes and BJ Daniels were listed as top 8 dual threats and both of them are below average passers.

You obviously don't understand "dual threat".

It just means they can beat you with their legs or arm, nothing more or less. They can fit into a pro or option system if they have the passing skills. So stop saying he doesn't fit the system. If he can run good, pass better, make good decisions and stand in the pocket with accuracy on his throws HE FITS ANY ******* SYSTEM.

btw here is a rivals thing on Bridgewater - "Bridgewater has excellent arm strength, but can also put touch on the ball when needed. He has great pocket presence and the ability to make yards with his feet. He is most dangerous buying time in the pocket while the coverage breaks down."

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I can't believe it sounds like you're arguing against having Bridgewater in this recruiting class. You've never seen him play, so you don't know if he is a good passer or not (sounds like he's better than average). Across the board, it seems as though he is a much better (higher) recruit than BJ, Carnes or Grothe ever were. Yes, Carnes and BJ were 4-star recruits on Rivals, but they both had average rankings at best on Scout and ESPN. Bridgewater is ranked 4 and 5 stars on every recruiting webpage. This guy is special, if he wasn't, Holtz wouldn't have invited him on campus for an OV. Holtz knows what's up.

when did i say we shouldn't sign him? perhaps he is the next great QB. perhaps not.

on this board the backup qb is always better than the starter and the next recruit is always our savior. it's laughable.we go through this every year .

how many were excited when we signed the #8 dual threat who ran the 40 in 4.55? he also had the 5th best rated arm strength in that class just below terrel pryor. now we can't wait to get rid of him.

it's fantastic if the guy is a dual threat but holtz's system is not designed for a running qb.

look at daniels numbers compared to last year. they are way off and it's because Holtz limits his running.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

He specifically said he didn't want to run as much as last year, he wanted to throw more. Who knows how many games he wasn't 100% for because of nagging injuries. He lost a lot of weapons that he had last year, WR's. It's a really tired debate. We'll see what happens with Bridgewater.

does he fit Holtz's offense? he's listed as a dual threat. I thought Holtz was trying to get away from that. doesn't seem like his offense would fit this kid's strength.

I bet Holtz and co. could figure out a way to use what could possibly the highest rated USF recruit ever.  Especially considering our extremely limited options at QB.

they didn't really figure out how to use the rivals #8 rated dual threat from 3 years ago(BJ Daniels) so i'm not sure the #2 rated this year is any better suited to their offense.

Ideally you want a dual threat QB because they are so dangerous when on the field. Holtz always had big mobile QB's with a pocket presence. If BJ was bigger and could stand in the pocket and deliver with accuracy while still being able to run like he does then we would be set at QB, but he can't so gotta find a QB who does both.

Pickney averaged less than 4 carries per game his last year with Holtz.

He averaged a total of 5.8 yards rushing per game.

that's not a dual threat. that's a QB that runs a few times on broken pass plays.

this kids game isn't suited for Holtz's offense. just like carnes last year.

Dual Threat doesn't mean you have to run all the time and because they don't doesn't mean they don't fit Holtz system! It's the threat of the athleticism the QB posses to take off whenever he needs to and gash the defense is what were talking about.

Everyone in the country knows Daniels can take off running gaining huge yards and even though he didn't do it much this year teams still have to game plan for it! Thats the point of a dual threat QB.

Holtz wants a dual threat QB, but also wants them to have the skills to stand in the pocket and deliver like a pro set QB. Bridgewater has this!

no he doesn't want a dual threat. he wants a pro set QB.

sure if he can get Cam Newton he's all over it but these "dual" threat QBs are listed this way because they are usually much better runners than they are passers.

that doesn't fit his system. Carnes last year was a highly rated dual threat. he was a terrible passer and that's why i think Holtz blew him off.

Where have you read that Bridgewater is a horrible passer? If he was a horrible passer he wouldn't be a 5-star; he would be rated similar to what Carnes was rated last year. The threat to run is helpful in any offense. Just because he is athletic, that doesn't mean that he cannot pass.

I have no idea what kind of passer he is. perhaps he is a great passer but generally the great passers are listed as pro style qbs.

Carnes was a rivals 4 star. same as bridgewater. carnes was rated #7 overall. bridgewater is rated #2.

like I said maybe he is the next cam newton. i have no idea. but I do know that holtz's system is not suited for a running qb.

BTW BJ Daniels was a 4 star rated the #8 dual threat the year he came out. he is not suited for Holtz's system at all.

I guess maybe you just don't appreciate the meaning of the word "dual" in the phrase "dual threat" If a quarterback can throw and also run a 4.5, they are going to list him as a dual threat quarterback because he can both throw and run. They won't label him a pro style quarterback if he can run a 4.5.

I don't believe 40 times have anything to do with listing them as a dual threat(rivals has him at 4.6 seconds-not sure how reliable these times are). I believe it has to do with how much they actually run the ball in high school. option quarterbacks(generally terrible passers) are listed as dual threats.

Both Carnes and BJ Daniels were listed as top 8 dual threats and both of them are below average passers.

You obviously don't understand "dual threat".

It just means they can beat you with their legs or arm, nothing more or less. They can fit into a pro or option system if they have the passing skills. So stop saying he doesn't fit the system. If he can run good, pass better, make good decisions and stand in the pocket with accuracy on his throws HE FITS ANY ******* SYSTEM.

btw here is a rivals thing on Bridgewater - "Bridgewater has excellent arm strength, but can also put touch on the ball when needed. He has great pocket presence and the ability to make yards with his feet. He is most dangerous buying time in the pocket while the coverage breaks down."

I understand dual threat.

do you understand the type of system we run? we need a QB that can pass the ball. he doesn't need to be a dual threat. Holtz doesn't run his QBs.

dual threat QBs don't fit every system. not all "dual" threat QBs are great passers.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  104
  • Days Won:  0

when did i say we shouldn't sign him? perhaps he is the next great QB. perhaps not.

on this board the backup qb is always better than the starter and the next recruit is always our savior. it's laughable.we go through this every year .

how many were excited when we signed the #8 dual threat who ran the 40 in 4.55? he also had the 5th best rated arm strength in that class just below terrel pryor. now we can't wait to get rid of him.

it's fantastic if the guy is a dual threat but holtz's system is not designed for a running qb.

look at daniels numbers compared to last year. they are way off and it's because Holtz limits his running.

Or it could have something to do with the fact that he makes bad decisions, he's an inaccurate passer and he has to learn a new system. Besides that, you can't say that just because BJ Daniels isn't performing very well and he was labeled a "dual-threat" that every dual threat quarterback that we ever get is going to put up the same numbers a BJ. They are completely different players.  You act like BJ was this Blue Chip prospect. Teddy is much more highly regarded on the recruiting sites than BJ.

He specifically said he didn't want to run as much as last year, he wanted to throw more. Who knows how many games he wasn't 100% for because of nagging injuries. He lost a lot of weapons that he had last year, WR's. It's a really tired debate. We'll see what happens with Bridgewater.

Leavitt ran a spread where it was essential to have a dual threat at QB.

Daniels excelled at it (31st rated passer + 772 yards rushing and 9 rushing TDs).

holtz runs a pro set where it's essential to have a pro set QB who is pass first.

Daniels regressed. 91st rated passer + 87 yards rushing and 4 TDs.

sure some of his passing woes have to do with his missing receivers but take the run away and he is a below average pro set qb.

i hope we sign Bridgewater. I'm sure he is a hell of an athlete and possibly QB but he is better suited for a spread offense.

Or it could have something to do with the fact that he makes bad decisions, he's an inaccurate passer and he has to learn a new system. Besides that, you can't say that just because BJ Daniels isn't performing very well and he was labeled a "dual-threat" that every dual threat quarterback that we ever get is going to put up the same numbers a BJ. They are completely different players.  You act like BJ was this Blue Chip prospect. Teddy is much more highly regarded on the recruiting sites than BJ.

if 6 spots higher on a national level is much more highly regarded then i guess I agree. BJ daniels was a 4 star. he was timed faster and rated the 5th strongest arm in his class just behind pryor from ohio state.

do you know what kind of decisions bridgewater makes? how accurate he is? I believe he has to learn a new system (one that is not designed to take advantage of his running abilities) as well.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

if 6 spots higher on a national level is much more highly regarded then i guess I agree. BJ daniels was a 4 star. he was timed faster and rated the 5th strongest arm in his class just behind pryor from ohio state.

I get that BJ was the #8 dual threat quarterback in the country when we got him. Bridgewater is the #2 quaterback in the country according to Scout. Not dual threat, but QB overall. It's amazing the #2 guy overall in the country could be in our class and on our field. I don't believe BJ even cracked the top 20 as an overall quarterback prospect.

To answer your question, yes he's in a different level than our previous QB recruits.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

Would be a pretty good get ... looks like he has some GREAT mobility, doesn't have the strongest arm but he's accurate and hits the open guys. 

Here's a cool Youtube:

He has an awkward throwing motion. 

I'm sure Holtz will put into consideration that Bridgewater is a dual-threat QB who would probably thrive far better in a spread offense.  Do you really think Holtz is looking for that kind of player?