• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Question for those of you that think BJ should keep his starting job

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  37,664
  • Days Won:  29

Does BJ get a FREE PASS this entire season to be the starter simply because we don't have an "expirienced" back-up to replace him with? What if he has another 3 INT 0TD game against Cincy on Friday (Cincy btw has the worst...I repeat WORST statistical pass defense in the entire Big East) should he still get another yet another chance to prove himself?

Personally I think this game is where BJ HAS TO breakout, like I said earlier Cincy is awful defending the pass, if he can't make positive plays happen against them then we really have to give someone else a chance.

I don't think it's a free pass as much as it's that we don't have another viable option on the roster, or at least that's how i look at it.  Eveld is the guy listed as the #2 and a walk on true Frosh with no mobility behind our offensive line doesn't sound like a decent proposition to me.  I'm not a fan of change just for the sake of change and i feel there is not a more viable realistic option on the roster at the moment.  I also think the fact that we have not seen Eveld outside of obvious garbage time, even with how terrible BJ has played, says a lot about where he is as a QB right now and the staff's confidence in him.     

+1

I don't think we have another option. Eveld's numbers in 2A high school football last year weren't as good as bj daniels were in BCS football. I'm not sure why anybody is clamoring for him as if he is the answer.

We really don't KNOW !

My point has been get Eveld in there, can't do worse. IF no bette, back to BJ and hopefully he comes back more motivated.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

At this point I'm just in "Wait until next year" mode hoping that Stephen Weatherford is our savior.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/recruiting/os-recruting-steve-weatherford-commits-to-usf,0,3977413.story

Edit...

Funny thing is, I posted that before I read this thread: http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=75350.0

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,656
  • Days Won:  424

Does BJ get a FREE PASS this entire season to be the starter simply because we don't have an "expirienced" back-up to replace him with? What if he has another 3 INT 0TD game against Cincy on Friday (Cincy btw has the worst...I repeat WORST statistical pass defense in the entire Big East) should he still get another yet another chance to prove himself?

Personally I think this game is where BJ HAS TO breakout, like I said earlier Cincy is awful defending the pass, if he can't make positive plays happen against them then we really have to give someone else a chance.

I don't think it's a free pass as much as it's that we don't have another viable option on the roster, or at least that's how i look at it.  Eveld is the guy listed as the #2 and a walk on true Frosh with no mobility behind our offensive line doesn't sound like a decent proposition to me.  I'm not a fan of change just for the sake of change and i feel there is not a more viable realistic option on the roster at the moment.  I also think the fact that we have not seen Eveld outside of obvious garbage time, even with how terrible BJ has played, says a lot about where he is as a QB right now and the staff's confidence in him.     

+1

I don't think we have another option. Eveld's numbers in 2A high school football last year weren't as good as bj daniels were in BCS football. I'm not sure why anybody is clamoring for him as if he is the answer.

We really don't KNOW !

My point has been get Eveld in there, can't do worse.

Yes .... he can. As "horrible" as BJ and the offense has played, neither game was out that far out of reach ...

• Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

+1

We really don't KNOW !

Yes .... he can. As "horrible" as BJ and the offense has played, neither game was out that far out of reach ...

But but but but but he lost to Syracuse  :-[

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

He'll certainly be in as long as there is a chance for a bowl game.

winner winner, chicken dinner!

• Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Who says it has to be Eveld that takes command? What about Gunsby...I know the whole redshirt deal but at this point Holtz should reconsider.

Honestly we should've seen this **** coming since the scrimmages reading Greg's articles:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/defense-gunsby-highlight-first-scrimmage

"Daniels, running the No. 1 offense and coming back from offseason surgery on his non-throwing shoulder, was off the mark early, hitting just one of his first 12 passes for 13 yards. He finished 7-for-22 for 70 yards, with a 20-yard run on his first play of the scrimmage."

"In the battle for the No. 2 quarterback job, freshman Jamius Gunsby looked sharp, going 12-for-17 for 169 yards, including a 58-yard bomb to receiver Faron Hornes that set up the only touchdown"

Gunsby didn't struggled with Holtz's system the way BJ has. If its seriously taking this long to understand it then it might be time to break ways.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

is back up being redshirted as good as bj

if so he should get a shot

bj does deserve to be benched but if usf has no one that can be better to replace him they cant

• Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

+1

We really don't KNOW !

My point has been get Eveld in there, can't do worse. IF no bette, back to BJ and hopefully he comes back more motivated.

If Eveld deserves a shot based on what coaches see then so be it.  However I don't want them making moves on baseless hopes.  Fans hope, coaches coach.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

+1

We really don't KNOW !

There is no reason to assume the outcome would have been any different with any other person playing quarterback. It is possible to be playing really, really, really, really poorly and yet still be the best (or "least bad" if you prefer) option a team has.

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

+1

We really don't KNOW !

There is no reason to assume the outcome would have been any different with any other person playing quarterback. It is possible to be playing really, really, really, really poorly and yet still be the best (or "least bad" if you prefer) option a team has.

But there is no reason to assume that it wouldn't

Archived