• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

T-Rex to offense?? (Greg's Blog)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  0

Freshman Mitchell gets look at receiver

Trying to add a spark to USF's struggling offense, coach Skip Holtz gave freshman cornerback Terrence "T-Rex" Mitchell a look at receiver on Sunday, saying the move is something he's considered for more than a month.

"We took a look at Terrence Mitchell as a receiver today," Holtz said. "Is it going to stick? I don't know. That's an awful lot to put on a freshman who's moving not just positions but sides of the ball. He's willing -- he came to me, said 'Coach, I just want to play. I hate what we're going through. Any way I can be of use to this team. I'll play receiver. I'll do whatever. It kills me to stand over there and not play and watch and see some of the frustrations we're going through as a program."

Mitchell has elite speed and would give the Bulls a big-play presence they've lacked, especially in an 0-2 start to Big East play. He has played primarily on defense, so he'll have to quickly learn routes and technique with any new position. Holtz said he considered moving Mitchell to offense after the Florida game, when receiver Dontavia Bogan injured his ankle, but thought at the time it would come at the defense's expense. With solid depth at cornerback, Mitchell hasn't seen much playing time on defense but has shined as USF's punt returner.

"I'm not going to weaken our defense to try to strengthen our offense. I'm not going to do that," Holtz said. "But if you have a guy who is one of your most dynamic players with a ball under his arm, as he's shown on punt returns, and we have a chance to get him the ball in space, we need to look at that. (Did he look good today?) He's got speed, athleticism. He's very natural with the ball. Catching punts isn't something we didn't teach him."

Holtz also said that barring injury to the current receivers, he intends to not play sophomore Sterling Griffin and let him redshirt this season as he recovers from a dislocated ankle suffered this summer. Holtz said Griffin likely isn't recovered enough to play as a starter, and he didn't want to use a year of eligibility to play him in a limited role.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/freshman-mitchell-gets-look-receiver

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I am sure many of our "experts" think we should give him a shot @ QB

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I like it...It can't hurt, right?

May stunt his development at CB if he's no longer getting reps there.  However, when you look around at who you could possibly get out at WR it is clear why they're considering it.  If he can step into the 2 deep and provide some spark then it will be ok.  However, if you take away the reps and the guy gets a half dozen touches the rest of the season, that will be bad.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

Not sure a receiver with even less experience than most of the ones he already has to throw to is the answer for BJ ... Is our defensive backfield THAT solid?

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Not sure a receiver with even less experience than most of the ones he already has to throw to is the answer for BJ ... Is our defensive backfield THAT solid?

t-rex is the 5th corner behind raymond, Q, webster and baker.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Well he automatically becomes our fastest WR so defenses will at least have to respect that.  Can he catch and then not fumble?  Time will tell.

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

I love the kid's attitude and willingness to help out by doing whatever the team needs.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

Well he automatically becomes our fastest WR so defenses will at least have to respect that.  Can he catch and then not fumble?  Time will tell.

What about Lamar?  Thought he had track speed.

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

Lamar has great speed but I dont see much elusive or shiftiness in him. He takes a serious hit almost everytime he gets the ball because he is so skinny

Archived