• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why was BJ able to move the ball under Leavitt's system...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Because he had Sterling Griffin, Carlton Mitchell, AJ Love, and Dontavia Bogan to bail him out. ATM we only have one of those guys on the field making plays. No quality WR's on the field = bad passing game and an even worse with BJ at the helm.

What happened with Sterling Griffin? I thought he was back from injury since the game against Syracuse. He wasn't reported on the injury list and didn't hear his name during games.

He's dressed for the last three games but hasn't played. Maybe he is still suffering from problems idk.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i remember he had quite a few bad games  last year

receivers were better

even our oline seemed better last year

pcaramel,

My point is, that there will be growing pains as we adjust to a new system. 

All of this revisionist history glorifying Leavitt is being completely unfair to a guy who just took over the program this summer.  Posing questions like, "Why was BJ able to move the ball under Leavitt's system?" is disingenuous.  It's not like Leavitt was winning BCS bowl games.  I believe in a couple years time, Holtz will. 

l

No, but Leavitt was winning 8-9 games a year, and getting us at least 1 big OOC win every year.  Leavitt's teams were never this bad.

But Leavitt's teams were never GOOD either.  take out the non-BCS/1-AA wins and we were around .500.. i think we may have been below .500 in Big East play, when you add up the seasons.

We took a chance changing out our coaching staff, because our old coaching staff wasn't getting the job done.  I am still willing to ride it out and see how this coaching staff pans out.  I am not ready to judge them at this point.  What I DO know is what we used to have and I don't want to go back to that.

leavit didnt have a system

trust in Holtz

do not jump off the bandwagon yet.

BJ will be great!

there is no gain without PAIN.

bj will not be our qb next year

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I think its a combination of several things. First, BJ had more time in the old system so he at least had some understanding what was going on. Right now, I'm not sure BJ has any understanding, nor does the OL. Throw in basically a #4 WR as your #1 and only receiver plus some questionable play calling and questionable situational game management and there is plenty of blame to go around.

Not so sure how much better special teams is yet. That Syracuse loss is as much on special teams as the offense. Missed FGs, missed XP, a penalty on a made FG then miss the next try.  Jury still out. One KO return for a TD doesn't make it better for the whole year.

So far statistically the D is improved over last year, but we were pretty good early last year too.

Just remember its a team game boys. D still gave up a 95 yard drive late in the game to lose to SU. Still giving up 1st downs on 3rd and long to keep drives going. Where are the turnovers? 

Not saying that the defense won't end up the year being better, but not ready to annoint this unit far superior to any defense we have had in the past. And the defense has always been our signature unit.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

D still gave up a 95 yard drive late in the game to lose to SU. Still giving up 1st downs on 3rd and long to keep drives going. Where are the turnovers? 

Not saying that the defense won't end up the year being better, but not ready to annoint this unit far superior to any defense we have had in the past. And the defense has always been our signature unit.

It was a 98 yard drive and a team "record"... Facts are that none of the three components played good enough to win the three games we lost. The easy way out is to blame BJ because his errors are the most glaring. I'm confident the coaching staff is smarter than that ...

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Leavitt didn't have an offensive system. Sandlot football is not a system. You guys forgot that Holt mention that BJ is learning how to play as a college QB. Didn't Holt say that the old system was a high % of running around making plays? Thats why I told you guys that Grothe could not make it at the next level. He was not taught on how to play QB.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Regardless of what Holtz said, that is ********. The majority of plays were not just running around. It was the same offense that Oregon, WVU, Texas, Mizzou, LSU and Fl run. We didn't have all the components because our RBs were fuckups

You people seem to want to make college football the same as pro football when they are 2 different animals.

The biggest problem we had in the past was too much reliance on the QB when we needed to adjust. Holtz runs a different system. Doesn't mean its better. That is yet to be seen, but don't be ignorant and say there was no system because that is flat out idiotic.

• Content Count:  444
  • Days Won:  0

Regardless of what Holtz said, that is ********. The majority of plays were not just running around. It was the same offense that Oregon, WVU, Texas, Mizzou, LSU and Fl run. We didn't have all the components because our RBs were fuckups

You people seem to want to make college football the same as pro football when they are 2 different animals.

The biggest problem we had in the past was too much reliance on the QB when we needed to adjust. Holtz runs a different system. Doesn't mean its better. That is yet to be seen, but don't be ignorant and say there was no system because that is flat out idiotic.

There was a system, but it broke down often which led to frequent improv.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I can't believe some of you continually blame the receivers.  BJ makes horrible decisions, throws into triple coverage and you blame the receiver.

+1

Blame a receiver for being wide open and not getting thrown the ball? 

Blame a receiver for running a post route with a defender toward the inside of the field and then the ball is thrown short to the inside?

Blame a receiver who gets thrown a ball at least one step behind him?

When do you clowns start blaming the person actually making the poor decisions and poor passes?

Archived