• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why was BJ able to move the ball under Leavitt's system...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  59
  • Days Won:  0

Most of bj daniels big plays came from broken plays last year.  He ran, and ran, and ran, and when he saw a player to throw to, he threw it.  I don't think Leavitt's system was necessarily superior because he still threw interceptions.  Frankly, I think we are witnessing a regressing QB.

I have a few good questions...

Why do we have less stupid defensive penalties under Holtz?

Why wasn't Leavitt's team able to run the ball effectively?

Why is our special teams much improved under Holtz? 

Not sure I get the point we just lost to two teams we typically beat.... if it means we are going to have less penalties, run the ball better and be improved on special teams and the result is 0-7 in the BE I 'll take the former

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

pcaramel,

My point is, that there will be growing pains as we adjust to a new system. 

All of this revisionist history glorifying Leavitt is being completely unfair to a guy who just took over the program this summer.  Posing questions like, "Why was BJ able to move the ball under Leavitt's system?" is disingenuous.  It's not like Leavitt was winning BCS bowl games.  I believe in a couple years time, Holtz will. 

• Content Count:  521

Most of bj daniels big plays came from broken plays last year.  He ran, and ran, and ran, and when he saw a player to throw to, he threw it.  I don't think Leavitt's system was necessarily superior because he still threw interceptions.  Frankly, I think we are witnessing a regressing QB.

+1

Even when we won games, Daniels never had great passing stats.  Remember the FSU game.  He won that game with his legs.  At some point, the conference notices you can't pass and adjusts accordingly.

Guys, why is everyone so surprised?  It's not like BJ Daniels was Tim Tebow last year.  He is a great athlete with a great arm, but he cannot make good decisions in the passing game.

In hindsight, it was a bad call for Holtz before the half to allow BJ to pass, but at some point, you have to put SOME kind of faith in your QB to at least TRY to throw the ball (i dunno, maybe because its a QB's primary job to PASS).  I'm sure Holtz doesn't like what he sees in BJ, but its not the NFL where you can just go out and pick up another QB out of free agency.

• Content Count:  412

+1

Even when we won games, Daniels never had great passing stats.  Remember the FSU game.  He won that game with his legs.  At some point, the conference notices you can't pass and adjusts accordingly.

Guys, why is everyone so surprised?  It's not like BJ Daniels was Tim Tebow last year.  He is a great athlete with a great arm, but he cannot make good decisions in the passing game.

In hindsight, it was a bad call for Holtz before the half to allow BJ to pass, but at some point, you have to put SOME kind of faith in your QB to at least TRY to throw the ball (i dunno, maybe because its a QB's primary job to PASS).  I'm sure Holtz doesn't like what he sees in BJ, but its not the NFL where you can just go out and pick up another QB out of free agency.

Haha, that's what made Tebow a heisman trophy winner.

as everyone ha said, a team whose leading rusher is the QB will need some growing pains to adjust to a different system

But am i the only one who wonders why we dont run more? we seem to be affective when we do that. Ask Florida (for the first half)

• Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Look at who BJ has for WRs this year vs last.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

pcaramel,

All of this revisionist history glorifying Leavitt is being completely unfair to a guy who just took over the program this summer.  Posing questions like, "Why was BJ able to move the ball under Leavitt's system?" is disingenuous.  It's not like Leavitt was winning BCS bowl games.  I believe in a couple years time, Holtz will. 

No, but Leavitt was winning 8-9 games a year, and getting us at least 1 big OOC win every year.  Leavitt's teams were never this bad.

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Look at who BJ has for WRs this year vs last.

bingo

we have one decent WR in Bogan

the rest shouldn't be on the field for the most part

• Content Count:  521

pcaramel,

No, but Leavitt was winning 8-9 games a year, and getting us at least 1 big OOC win every year.  Leavitt's teams were never this bad.

But Leavitt's teams were never GOOD either.  take out the non-BCS/1-AA wins and we were around .500.. i think we may have been below .500 in Big East play, when you add up the seasons.

We took a chance changing out our coaching staff, because our old coaching staff wasn't getting the job done.  I am still willing to ride it out and see how this coaching staff pans out.  I am not ready to judge them at this point.  What I DO know is what we used to have and I don't want to go back to that.

• Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

after weeks of thinking everyone was quick to judge and needed to give BJ more time to acclimate himself I finally feel like the kid is not getting any better week to week...you can say lack of WR's but he is missing WIDE OPEN guys and has absolutely no touch on the ball....I believe the coaches are saying the right things to the media but think differently amongst themselves when they say BJ is getting it and practicing well...something would have to translate to the game but it isnt...I know we dont have anything else to turn to but I really the QB's next yea provide some real competition...I say Gunsby will see lots of PT if not starting next season...something has to give

Archived