• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF verbal Ty Turner

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Man, Holtz is off to an unimpressive start to recruiting. Our class is over halfway filled up and do we have a single 4-star?

Not just that, about half our class thus far are three stars, the rest lower.

Trust in Holtz.  By the way, a guy will not get a 4 or 5 star unless one of the big schools attempt to recruit him.   Maybe our coaches know something we don't.

Of course they know more than we do.

Do they know more than EVERYONE knows though?

These players are low stars because they're not recruited by the powerhouses. Not all high stars pan out and not all low stars are bums. I'd wager there's a higher 'hit rate' for the high star players though. I don't think Holtz knows something the Big 3 dont. I just think he's not able to get those players for whatever reason (maybe Leavitt couldn't either, not a Holtz diss).

bowden just came out and said that those high rated guys he's gotten recently weren't that good....Also, I have a feeling it's going to take holtz a little time to build the relationship with the local schools.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

So we live in the recruiting hotbed of the nation, but we are opening a pipeline of two star georgia players. Awesome. I totally agree with pulling in some kids from out of state, especially on the O Line, but this is not good.

Well Griffin HS is also in a recruiting hotbed, so we may land some other players from there now and in the future. Hopefully, WR Nile Daniel will reconsider his verbal to UK, or his grandmother has a different vision (from an earlier thread on them).  ;D 

http://www.ihigh.com/griffingeorgiafootball/article_35676.html

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

holtz is focusing a lot of attention on the 2012 class and he is on more of an even footing with other HCs with these guys.  when Bulls have 10 win season next year, he'll get most of those he wants.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

These players are low stars because they're not recruited by the powerhouses. Not all high stars pan out and not all low stars are bums. I'd wager there's a higher 'hit rate' for the high star players though. I don't think Holtz knows something the Big 3 dont. I just think he's not able to get those players for whatever reason (maybe Leavitt couldn't either, not a Holtz diss).

Bobby Bowden has said that one of the mistakes his coaching staff made was they started recruiting the 4 and 5 star athletes instead of doing their own evaluations.  It was easier.  Their talent level went down.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,700
  • Days Won:  108

As I've said on other threads, Boise State has ranked 75th over the last 5 years in recruiting. 

Boise State wouldn't be anything special in a BCS conference.

Their starters can hang with anyone. We've proven ours can as well.

How good is Boise's 2nd string QB or MLB? I bet not very.

Boise State is ranked in the Top 10 and beats every team they play.  I'd take that. 

You really don't think they would run the Big East?  I take that back you probably don't think they could because the Big East is so powerful.

Whoever the starting QB is was a backup there at some time I presume.  So why wouldn't I think their backup now is pretty good?

And in any case, they play much better than that 75th recruiting ranking would indicate. 

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

why anybody cares about recruiting rankings is beyond me. they are for generating memberships to the pay sites. usually the big programs generate more members and therefore higher rankings. take last years final top 25, add the teams with big memberships who did not finish in the top 25, and assign higher stars for those they have signed. TCU, BYU, Cincy, Utah, Boise State, etc have all had lousy recruiting rankings for the last 5 years. just in the last year or two have the sites started ranking them higher because they are winning. how can they win with such lousy recruits? it's all about the benjamins. they use these bogus rankings to drive memberships and make more money.

• Content Count:  143
  • Days Won:  0

Bull94 and like four other posters here get it.  You think is Lang committed to UM he'd be a three?  All idiots take one step forward.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Boise State is ranked in the Top 10 and beats every team they play.  I'd take that. 

They do not. They're 7-7 in the last 8 years against BCS competition and they've only once played a schedule which had more than 1 BCS opponent once in the past decade or so *this yr being the first since 2005*

We have,

@ VT (Neutral Site)

vs. Oregon State

vs. Oregon

@ Oregon

@ Washington

vs. Oregon State

@ Georgia

@ Oregon State

vs. Oregon State

@ Oregon State

Does this actually look very impressive? They’ve played middling Pac-10 teams and a couple of ACC/SEC schools.

You really don't think they would run the Big East?  I take that back you probably don't think they could because the Big East is so powerful.

Thanks for the snide remark. No, I do not think they would run the BE. I think they could beat any BE team any given Saturday but that it wouldn't hold true every week. They would challege for the championship though, especially this year.

Whoever the starting QB is was a backup there at some time I presume.  So why wouldn't I think their backup now is pretty good?

Well, they have 5 yrs to find a capable replacement most of the time. Their last 2 qb's have started most of their careers. I highly doubt they have much depth through all of the positions.

And in any case, they play much better than that 75th recruiting ranking would indicate. 

They might, I don't know. If they played more than 1 BCS opponent in a given year I'd feel a lot more comfortable with your statement. Until then, they get up for one big game a year and then sweep the WAC conference (which we could do). All the while, they've had a .500 record against BCS teams. Don't color me impressed.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Few points on Boise:

1. Great 8 you have to credit them for their wins over BCS teams in bowl games as part of your calculation.

2. Boise generally ranks near the top for recruiting rankings in the WAC, so they would be near the most talented team in their conference.

3. Harder to get up for big games when you have more than a couple a year which usf fans know the hard way and why sec teams get respect for winning.

4. I think west coast ratings on scout/rivals is understated which is a version of the east coast bias.

5. Boise does a great job finding players on the west coast that are overooked by the major schools on the west coast.

6. California, similar to Florida and Texas with 250+ D1 athletes a year, is not as heavily recruited as Florida or Texas given the distance for most schools in recruiting that area which helps Boise as far as #5 is concerned.

7. Boise's fan, alumni and booster support is very good.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,700
  • Days Won:  108

I'm sure the Boise State AD and head coach are sitting around wishing that they had USF's past records, BCS appearances and National Ranking.  Oh, you mean they made (and won) a BCS game from a non Qualifier?

AND, I said they could run the BE.  Where did I say anything about a BCS conference  >:D  The Big East ain't the SEC and many people question whether it is deserving of an AQ.

Archived