• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF verbal Ty Turner

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4TEC_9_16_Bears_II.jpg

Griffin High tight end Ty Turner (12) checks in at the line of scrimmage during a game two weeks ago at home against Upson-Lee. Turner, who had a touchdown catch against Upson-Lee but missed last week’s game with a concussion, is expected back in the lineup tonight when the Bears host Jones County at 7 p.m. (John Sullivan/Daily News)

Read more: Griffin Daily News - Griffin hosts Jones County in subregion opener tonight

http://www.griffindailynews.com/view/full_story/9539001/article-Griffin-hosts-Jones-County-in-subregion-opener-tonight?

SEPTEMBER 16, 2010

Bulls get commitment from Georgia TE

With Kevin Gidrey, Andrew Ketchel and Richard Kelly all seniors this fall, USF will have significant turnover at the hybrid TE/FB position in the offseason, but the Bulls have addressed that position by picking up a commitment Wednesday night from Tye Turner, a 6-foot-2, 245-pound senior from Griffin, Ga.

"He's a big, athletic kid -- blocks well and catches the ball well," said Griffin coach Steve DeVoursney, who said Turner chose the Bulls over offers from Western Kentucky -- USF's next opponent -- and Western Carolina, along with interest from Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest.

Turner, who carries a 3.7 grade-point average at Griffin and also plays basketball, played primarily fullback and H-back last season but is working as a tight end this fall, with three catches for 39 yards in his first two games. Griffin, located about 40 miles south of Atlanta, is undefeated and ranked as the No. 3 team in Georgia's Class 4A rankings. It's also the alma mater of Western Kentucky running back Bobby Rainey, who has rushed for 339 yards and three touchdowns in WKU's two lopsided losses.

USF has a strong connection to Griffin through offensive line coach Steve Shankweiler, who was Griffin's head coach in 1996-97 -- DeVoursney, now in his 10th season as head coach, joined Griffin's staff under Shankweiler. He said USF is also recruiting Griffin receiver Nile Daniel, who is a Kentucky commitment, as well as a former Griffin player in defensive lineman Toby Jackson, a former Georgia signee who is now at Navarro College in Texas.

By our count, USF now has 15 commitments toward its Class of 2011, so Skip Holtz is well ahead of the Bulls' usual schedule for picking up commitments. And as much as Holtz has talked about building a wall around the Tampa area for local recruits, none of those 15 players are from Hillsborough or Pinellas counties, with the closest being QB Stevie Weatherford of Land O'Lakes, lineman Thor Jozwiak of Lake Region and receiver Alex Mut of Punta Gorda.

Posted by Greg Auman at 2:07:29 pm on September 16, 2010

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/bulls-get-commitment-georgia-te#comments

Free story on Scout:

Georgia TE Commits to USF 

By Larry Weisbaum

USFNation.com

Posted Sep 16, 2010 

USFNation has just learned of some breaking news. Skip Holtz and the South Florida Bulls picked up a TE/H-back commit from Georgia for the class of 2011 today! Read on for the details

USFNation.com has just learned of some breaking news. Skip Holtz and the South Florida Bulls picked up the another commit for the class of 2011 today when Ty Turner, a 6’3, 240 pound tight end from Griffin high school in Griffin Georgia committed to USF.

“Yes sir, I made my commitment to USF Yesterday,†said Turner. “It’s a good football program and they have good academics and it’s a good place to be.â€

Turner chose USF over offers from WKU, Marshall, Tennessee State, Georgia Southern, Western Carolina, with Wake Forest, Miami, Duke, Oregon, Georgia Tech, Auburn, and UCLA all showing interest.

“I decided to commit because USF just felt like the place for me.â€

Turner participated in the USF SuperBull camp and said he loved the campus, facilities and playing at the Ray Jay, but the coaching staff was one of the biggest selling points.

“I like everything I saw when I was in Tampa, the facilities and weight room, were very nice,†said Turner. “The coaching staff there is great and they remind me a lot of my coaches here at Griffin.â€

The 6-foot-3, 240-pound Turner claims a 325-pound bench press and a 450-pound squat max, and for Griffin played more of an H-back position and that could be his role at the next level.

"They’re recruiting me as a tight end/H-Back,†said Turner. “My most improved area is my route running and I’ve gotten better at my run blocking too.â€

Turner carries a 3.7 GPA and his team and he are off to a good start this season.

“We’re doing pretty good, right now my team is sitting at 3-0,†said Turner. “So far I have 3 receptions for 39 yards and a TD.â€

http://southflorida.scout.com/2/1002974.html

• Content Count:  763
  • Days Won:  0

ESPN Evaluation -

Turner can be like a little steamroller at the tight end position. He has solid height and bulk, but comes across though as more compact and thickly built then his listed measureables may suggest. He is listed as a tight end, but really seems more like an H-Back type. He can contribute in the passing game as a target. He displays good ball skills. He can let the ball get into his body at times, but for the most part displays the ability to extend and bring the ball in with his hands. Displays good concentration to catch the ball in a crowd. He displays adequate speed. He can run solid routes, but will need to be sharp with his route running to help him at the college level. He will line up and play from an in-line position as well as flexed out and may benefit at the next level by getting into his routes off movement at times. After the catch he is not elusive, but he is physical. Will not make many defenders miss, but can make them pay. He will lower the shoulder and bully his way forward or throw a stiff arm. Turner can help in the short-to-intermediate passing game, but will also need to contribute as a blocker. Shows the toughness and physicality to get the job done, but need to work in this area. Not a lot of flash to Turner, but he can be a productive H-Back type at the college level.

Archived