• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Countdown To Kickoff Subject #7 - Gata Nation Finally Starting To Worry?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  558
  • Days Won:  0

Counting down to kickoff with the #7 subject out of 9 cuz the man wouldn't let me have 10!

Let me preface this topic by mentioning that there are probably 100 Gata (see Coreen Brown video for explanation) alumni on two floors around me and we are conversing daily with about 5-7 of them now about this game.

Earlier this week there were rumors in the paper about 2 freshman wanting to transfer, injuries on the OL and Pouncey saying that he would move to RT hopefully only to the third game. So gata nation yesterday asks me "do you really believe all these rumors leaked out to the media, the gatas dont rebuild, they reload"

Well then this gem comes out in all the Florida papers this AM and there is now some concern on their face:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/uf-gators/os-florida-gators-football-news-20100826,0,522023.story

Things to note:

- OL was the most complete unit returning from last year on both sides of the ball (4 of 5 starters back). Starting tackle Xavier Dixon had surgery Wednesday and his backup had a pin inserted in his wrist.

- "Tight end Jordan Reed suffered a deep knee bruise and is out indefinitely".  How long is out indefinitely? Remember Gata Nation told me this is the guy that was going in for Brantley on the 3rd and short yardage plays. Will probably be ready in two weeks but will have no warmup game and not be 100%?

So the Gata Offense now has the following postions with limited experience and/or zero starts: 1 QB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 2 OL.

Gata Nation finally confessed today that there is now concern with the start of the Gata 2010 season.....don't believe the hype, ignore the #3/4 ranking and start looking at the position by position battles that are changing daily......we are going to match up well with a majority of positions (topic for a future countdown post as they definitely have better kicker, punter and Demps).

Note: "Negative Nancies" and "Debbie Downers" please refrain from replying "the gators are the best still, their backup to the backups are still 4 star and could come right off the highschool bus and still beat what we have". These posts are meant for the fans on this board that thought we had a chance in Auburn and at FSU and were rewarded happily for their belief and expense in going to these games. In these series of posts, I am only trying to point out (with a fan bias of course) that there is the same chance or better that we had in those games when we take the field on Sept. 11th. We would have no chance vs Bama or Ohio St. or the 2008,2009 Gators. The 2010 Gators in the 2nd game of the season.....we have a chance! Oklahoma and Arkansas were probably the last teams we played where we had no chance.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,461

I love your enthusiasm, and I was one of those who went to both Auburn and Tally thinking we might pull it off... But this time I'm not so optimistic. Someone posted this the other day and I found it both fitting and funny.

• Content Count:  2,558

yayy football

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

I thought we had a chance at Auburn and thought we had a very good shot @ FSU. UF is a different animal.

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

The Bulls can win against Florida.  Chris Shaw knew he had a chance and he won!

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Beating UF is a dream. The reality is they have had a Top 5 recruiting class for 5 straight years. They also have a Top 5 NCAAF head coach. We need more than a wing and a prayer for this one. This is a we have a chance type game. I'm putting it at 7%. Everything would have to line up perfectly.

Beating UF is a dream. The reality is they have had a Top 5 recruiting class for 5 straight years. They also have a Top 5 NCAAF head coach. We need more than a wing and a prayer for this one. This is a we have a chance type game. I'm putting it at 7%. Everything would have to line up perfectly.

Recruiting classes don't mean success on the field (see Florida State).

It doesn't help when two of your top recruits are rumored to want to transfer... and when a senior has to tell incoming freshmen to STFU through the media.

It also doesn't help when the coach says he's pushing the panic button.  Coaches don't say that. Ever.

I'm not saying USF will win... I'm not saying USF should be favored... But 7%? Really?

I would put the chances at 50-50.

• Content Count:  2,461

I'm sorry... but if you think we have a 50-50 shot at beating UF... You're living in micky mouse land.

As you said, recruiting classes aren't everything--but I would consider that as a strength before considering whether a couple recruits want to transfer as a weakness. The panic button comment? Well, in context, you might think that he's hitting the "oh no we might not be national (or SEC) champion this year" panic button. That's a very different button than our panic button, which is more like the "oh no we might only have 2 BE wins this year" button.

I won't even go into the negatives -we- have to overcome involving a head coaching change and loss of talent.

I'd give us a 13% shot. That's right, not 14%, not 12%. 13%.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Jim FSU lost all their talent (one player remains from their 2007 class)

Different beast. We have a chance to win, but we need our best game ever paired with lots of mistakes.

I'd compare them to the young canes team we played last fall...

Archived