• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

TJ Lawrence....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Ok

• Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Former UF Receiver T.J. Lawrence Heading to Florida A&M

By Tom Zebold

THE LEDGER

Published: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at 6:42 p.m.

Last Modified: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at 6:42 p.m.

It didn't take long for T.J. Lawrence to make a decision on where he'd be going next after getting his release from Florida last week.

Lawrence, a former Kathleen High School star receiver, made a surprising announcement Wednesday that he will be suiting up for Florida A&M's football team this season while also getting his baseball career started back up with the Rattlers.

“It's a big shocker because a lot of people wouldn't expect Florida A&M University, but I'm going there to be a two-sport athlete,†Lawrence told The Ledger in a phone interview.

The redshirt sophomore said FAMU “kind of popped up†on his radar a couple of days after he got his release from UF, and he's looking forward to competing for a starting spot on the football field right away at the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) level. He'll also be looked at in the return game as well.

“I think that excites me more than anything the fact that I'm going to play this year because I've been waiting like forever,†he said. “That's the biggest excitement, the fact that I get to play with players I played with in high school and players I played against in high school.â€

Lawrence will be reunited with former Kathleen teammate Adrian Smith, who is also a receiver at FAMU.

“I'm actually moving in with him,†said Lawrence, who will be in Tallahassee on Friday.

As for baseball, Lawrence said he's missed the sport since high school and had already planned on asking UF if he could play this year.

FAMU has given him that chance and it's also a fit school-wise with meeting his needs as a sociology major in his junior year.

“It feels good to get a fresh start and I guess going somewhere new,†Lawrence said. “It feels like everything is starting over, and (it) is. I'm happy.â€

• Content Count:  2,431
  • Days Won:  3

I really don't get this.

We are a Division I program.

We are a BCS Program that has most games televised on an ESPN channel.

We are almost in DESPERATE need for Receivers now.

Why wouldn't you come here if you are looking for exposure and playing time?

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

He didn't want to have to sit out.

• Content Count:  21,310
  • Days Won:  10

He didn't want to have to sit out.

That is not a smart move IMO.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

You act like a player can't make it from 1AA. He wants to play THIS year. He went to alma mater #1 so I wish him good luck. We get some pretty good qbs up there.

• Content Count:  1,400
  • Days Won:  0

KATHLEEN GRAD

Lawrence Looking At Several Options

Gainesville, Fl--041809--Blue team member T. J. Lawrence looks to run after making a catch in the Orange and Blue game Saturday, April 18, 2009. (Doug Finger/The Gainesville Sun)

By Tom Zebold

THE LEDGER

Published: Saturday, August 7, 2010 at 11:49 p.m.

Last Modified: Saturday, August 7, 2010 at 11:49 p.m.

( page of 2 )

T.J. Lawrence will be suiting up in a different football uniform in the future after hanging up his Gator helmet for the final time.

The former Kathleen High School star wide receiver was granted his release from Florida on Thursday and is looking for a new program that will allow him to showcase his talents more on the field.

"It's like the whole recruiting process all over again from when you graduate from high school, but it's just a lot less colleges," Lawrence said by phone Saturday.

The redshirt sophomore said numerous factors led to his decision to leave UF, especially the lack of game action.

He had zero receptions and two kickoff returns for 69 yards in three games last season. He dressed in five games in 2008, but didn't play in any of them.

"That was really frustrating," he said. "That's probably the main reason why I got up out of there. I was (there) like three years and I still haven't seen the field."

The college experience has been far different than high school for Lawrence. He earned first-team All-State honors as a senior at Kathleen when he caught 70 balls and scored 12 touchdowns.

He was a four-star prospect and an Under Armour All-American before choosing to attend Florida.

Other schools have kept his ability in mind since then.

Lawrence said numerous programs have been talking to him, including South Florida, Eastern Kentucky and Pearl River Community College.

Lakeland High School wide receivers coach Will Bahler, who coached Lawrence at Kathleen, has become aware of his former pupil's options as well.

"I've gotten several text messages and phone calls from a lot of the same schools or coaches who recruited him before, including new interest from South Alabama and Washington State," Bahler said Saturday.

The door isn't wide open for all schools, however.

[glow=red,2,300]"I believe (the Gators are) going to put barriers on all SEC schools, rival schools and schools Florida plays in the next two years," Lawrence said.[/glow]

If Lawrence goes to a NCAA Division I school, he'll have to sit out all of this season. If he chooses to attend a lower division school, he would be eligible immediately.

[glow=red,2,300]USF plays Florida in Week 2 this season, but the agreement between the schools is only for one year.[/glow]

"I'm not sure what I want to do honestly," Lawrence said about his playing status for this year. "I will know probably around Monday or Tuesday. I'll pretty much have my head set on where I would like to be or play at."

Lawrence said academics will also play a factor in his decision.

"I have a lot of credits in my major right now," the sociology major said.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20100807/NEWS/8075020/1002/SPORTS?Title=Lawrence-Looking-At-Several-Options

dont we play the gators again in 2015

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Yes, we are scheduled to play @UF in 2015, but that isn't really relevant to Lawrence because he would no longer be playing college football by then. That game wouldn't prevent UF from allowing him to transfer to USF and that's probably why it was not mentioned in the article.

• Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Sounds like he wanted to get out on the diamond again as well...probably wouldn't have had that chance here.

• Content Count:  143
  • Days Won:  0

sounds like Urban really is a dirt bag.  It's not the first time he's led a local kid back to the ghetto. What a *****.

Archived