• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

TJ Lawrence....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  2

looks like former 4 star wr recruit tj lawrence has decided to leave the uf program, citing lack of playing time.  i know usf was fairly high on his list out of kathleen (lakeland) highschool, and lord knows we could sure use a wr.  i sure hope skip can pull this one off.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

looks like former 4 star wr recruit tj lawrence has decided to leave the uf program, citing lack of playing time.  i know usf was fairly high on his list out of kathleen (lakeland) highschool, and lord knows we could sure use a wr.  i sure hope skip can pull this one off.

I expect that this thread will be moved to the prospect boards.

Notebook: Receiver Lawrence transferring

By Edward Aschoff

Correspondent

Published: Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 11:15 p.m.

Last Modified: Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 11:15 p.m.

( page of 3 )

Florida quarterback John Brantley will have one less option at wide receiver this fall.

Head coach Urban Meyer said after Thursday's opening fall practices that redshirt sophomore receiver T.J. Lawrence will transfer from Florida.

"T.J. Lawrence has decided to move on," Meyer said.

Lawrence recorded just two kickoff returns for 69 yards and had zero receptions in two seasons.

Meyer said Lawrence wanted to transfer last season because he wanted more playing time and could only guess that was the reasoning behind Lawrence's recent decision.

"He tried to move on last year and we talked him into (staying) because he's a good kid and all that," Meyer said. "I think he just wants to move on to get some playing time."

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20100805/ARTICLES/100809673/1136?Title=Notebook-Receiver-Lawrence-transferring

• Content Count:  21,314
  • Days Won:  10

If he comes to USF the question is will UF release him to us and if so he will have to sit out a year?

That is the problem kids don't understand about UF, FSU, UM is that you have big lines of players in front of your and usually you are only playing in your 3rd and 4th year.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Even if the gators allowed him to transfer to USF (and USF wanted him) he would have to sit out a year.

Also, if you're good enough you will play.  Even at UF, Miami or FSU - Demps, Rainey, Tebow, Jacory Harris, Greg Reid etc.  Lawrence clearly not at that level, but could be a solid player.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

KATHLEEN GRAD

Lawrence Looking At Several Options

Gainesville, Fl--041809--Blue team member T. J. Lawrence looks to run after making a catch in the Orange and Blue game Saturday, April 18, 2009. (Doug Finger/The Gainesville Sun)

By Tom Zebold

THE LEDGER

Published: Saturday, August 7, 2010 at 11:49 p.m.

Last Modified: Saturday, August 7, 2010 at 11:49 p.m.

( page of 2 )

T.J. Lawrence will be suiting up in a different football uniform in the future after hanging up his Gator helmet for the final time.

The former Kathleen High School star wide receiver was granted his release from Florida on Thursday and is looking for a new program that will allow him to showcase his talents more on the field.

"It's like the whole recruiting process all over again from when you graduate from high school, but it's just a lot less colleges," Lawrence said by phone Saturday.

The redshirt sophomore said numerous factors led to his decision to leave UF, especially the lack of game action.

He had zero receptions and two kickoff returns for 69 yards in three games last season. He dressed in five games in 2008, but didn't play in any of them.

"That was really frustrating," he said. "That's probably the main reason why I got up out of there. I was (there) like three years and I still haven't seen the field."

The college experience has been far different than high school for Lawrence. He earned first-team All-State honors as a senior at Kathleen when he caught 70 balls and scored 12 touchdowns.

He was a four-star prospect and an Under Armour All-American before choosing to attend Florida.

Other schools have kept his ability in mind since then.

Lawrence said numerous programs have been talking to him, including South Florida, Eastern Kentucky and Pearl River Community College.

Lakeland High School wide receivers coach Will Bahler, who coached Lawrence at Kathleen, has become aware of his former pupil's options as well.

"I've gotten several text messages and phone calls from a lot of the same schools or coaches who recruited him before, including new interest from South Alabama and Washington State," Bahler said Saturday.

The door isn't wide open for all schools, however.

"I believe (the Gators are) going to put barriers on all SEC schools, rival schools and schools Florida plays in the next two years," Lawrence said.

If Lawrence goes to a NCAA Division I school, he'll have to sit out all of this season. If he chooses to attend a lower division school, he would be eligible immediately.

USF plays Florida in Week 2 this season, but the agreement between the schools is only for one year.

"I'm not sure what I want to do honestly," Lawrence said about his playing status for this year. "I will know probably around Monday or Tuesday. I'll pretty much have my head set on where I would like to be or play at."

Lawrence said academics will also play a factor in his decision.

"I have a lot of credits in my major right now," the sociology major said.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20100807/NEWS/8075020/1002/SPORTS?Title=Lawrence-Looking-At-Several-Options

• Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

"I have a lot of credits in my major right now.."  That is a key quote because every university has sociology as a major, but the State University System in Florida guarantees transfer hours for common courses between state schools.  Washington State cannot make that guarantee.  Neither can any other schools except Florida ones operated by the state of Florida.

Getting some traction in Kathleen would be great.  They put out some talent.

Normal

• Content Count:  21,314

Well it seems that finishing his degree is important and having his credits transfer and apply is also a key.

• Content Count:  3,042

T.J. Lawrence | WR

Scouts Grade 82

Hometown Lakeland, FL

High School Kathleen High School

Position rank WR # 10

Height         6'1"

Weight         185 lbs.

Also considered: Florida State, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Michigan

Evaluation

Lawrence is not only an electrifying playmaker on offense, but has huge upside as a corner/safety hybrid and also return game value. He has excellent play speed, good size and is very versatile-- in fact we feel he may be a better fit on defense at safety or corner

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

He would only have one year after sitting out the transfer year.

• Content Count:  720
  • Days Won:  0

He would only have one year after sitting out the transfer year.

He was an 08 recruit so he would have two years left after sitting out this year. I assume he redshirted in 08 so in 09 he was a RSFrosh and then sitting out 2010 as a RSSoph and then playing in 2011 & 2012.

Archived