• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe invited to Bucs Mini Camp

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

I would think that any practice and coaching he can get in an NFL camp would have to help in what ever league he plays in.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Grothe should not be compared to Brees or Flutie.

He should be compared to Jeff Garcia. Why don't people see the similarities between these two?

They are about the same physically(height and weight). Neither have a huge arm. They both use their feet well. Both are coaches sons(I think) so they know the game.

Garcia started out as an undrafted 3rd string QB in the CFL who went on to become a 4 time CFL and 4 time NFL all star. This is the same road Grothe will have to take. If he is determined enough and if he catches a few breaks then there is no reason why Matt Grothe can't become an NFL QB. Look at some of the stiffs in the league.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

Hopefully MG can get a spot with the Buc's... I think he's better then Freeman.

You've got to be kidding me. You should be banned from watching football ever again if you think Grothe is better than Freeman.

It would be cool if he made the team, but be real, Grothe is just an extra arm to get the ball to the receivers during minicamp.

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

What did you add to the thread effectively? I must've missed the great enlightenment from your own acknowledged repeated post of an article.

We know Grothe has little chance, some of us think he may (it's called bias). I think we've covered the bases of "Matt sux0rs he's no NFL qb" from enough people. No?

At the risk of feeding the Trolls, I think USFishin's post added much-needed perspective to the situation. Which is more than I can say for yours.

• Content Count:  1,570

The Bucs have also invited UCiF C/G Ian Bustillo, FAU T/G Lavoris Williams. They properly won't stick around either.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Can't blame Matt for accepting the invitation and giving his dream a shot.  However unlikely it may be when you have an opportunity to chase a life long dream you have to take it.  I think Matt ends up in the CFL when all is said and done but i wish him the best of luck at the Bucs Rookie Camp. 

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

holy h e ll  I wish I could go back in 2005 when Matt became a bull..... I seem to remmember " why did we sign him, he is way to small to be a D-1 QB" and " they should have done a walk on for matt not scholly cause he will never be our QB"  then lets jump to spring 2006 " Carlton Hill the new QB at USF, so glad we got him cause Matt will never play"........  Just to let you know he has 4 other invites to camps  cant release those teams but hope he learns from it and might land a spot.  and by the way he is listed as athlete also for NFL.    Oh wait I better call BJ and tell him to enjoy the support while he is playing cause when he is done, he is junk to fans.....  so thanks to some of you and to the others KMA

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

holy h e ll  I wish I could go back in 2005 when Matt became a bull..... I seem to remmember " why did we sign him, he is way to small to be a D-1 QB" and " they should have done a walk on for matt not scholly cause he will never be our QB"  then lets jump to spring 2006 " Carlton Hill the new QB at USF, so glad we got him cause Matt will never play"........  Just to let you know he has 4 other invites to camps  cant release those teams but hope he learns from it and might land a spot.  and by the way he is listed as athlete also for NFL.    Oh wait I better call BJ and tell him to enjoy the support while he is playing cause when he is done, he is junk to fans.....  so thanks to some of you and to the others KMA

not entirely sure how you don't see why the criticism isn't fair. MG is the best QB we've ever had... yes... but at the pro level his style just isn't what they look for...

The criticism isn't only coming from this board... It's essentially everyone.

I think everyone would be very happy if he earns a spot on an NFL roster.

• Content Count:  1,570

We as fan love what Matt has done for the program. This is about his skills, his mental, and his phyiscal. And how it relate to being an NFL QB. We all know that if the NFL drafted on heart alone. Matt would be a #1 draft pick. But this is the NFL. And they look at height, arm strength. Look at all the busts out there. JaMarcus Russell, 6'6 big arm. Ryan Leaf 6'5 big arm. Dan McGuire 6'8 big arm. Fact is the NFL alway discriminates. It use to be black coaches and QB's. White tailbacks and cornerbacks. And of course short QB's and LB's. Trust me, USF Nation would be up at arms if Matt was a prolific passer that got over looked. He was a great FOOTBALL PLAYER who will get honored.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Dad is kind of irate, eh?

Grothe was a great player and I don't doubt he has the will to make it to the NFL. Like Tebow, sometimes will isn't enough, no matter how much we want it to be though.

Archived