• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East In serious trouble of being carved up (link)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  743
  • Days Won:  0

Cowherd said today that if the big 10 goes to 12 it will be UConn going and if to 14 they'll take rutgers and pitt too. He seemed confident on the uconn thing, like he knew something.

I don't think he believes that ND will be pressured to join a conference just yet.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  771

Cowherd said today that if the big 10 goes to 12 it will be UConn going and if to 14 they'll take rutgers and pitt too. He seemed confident on the uconn thing, like he knew something.

I don't think he believes that ND will be pressured to join a conference just yet.

if the sec takes fsu and clemson and usf, wvu goes to the acc.  nd will almost be forced to go to the big 10.  I think the big 10 will go after 3 big east teams to force nd's hand.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I heard that as well... I also now agree that the Big14 will instead take the below teams... the only real question is if the Big10 will go to 14 teams or balloon up to 16.

Also ND is not going to join them... they have said no about a hundred times.

If they go to 14 teams:

1.) UConn

2.) Rutgers

3.) Pittsburgh

If they go to 16 teams:

1.) UConn

2.) Rutgers

3.) Pittsburgh

4.) Syracuse

5.) Cincinnati

Everything I have read on the net and everything I have heard on the radio points to the Big East getting gutted and makes no mention of Mizzou or Nebraska or ND.

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Has any team ever left a BCS conference to go to a non-BCS conference besides Temple?

I believe Temple didn't choose to leave, they were kicked out during the ACC-Big East shakeup in 2004.

Yeah I know they were kicked out, but has any other team gone that route (regardless of being forced out or not)?

If the big shakeup comes and there are 5 bcs conferences of minimum 14 teams each, that means there will be at least 70 bcs teams.  Right now there are 66 bcs teams.  I think everyone finds a home with 4 non-bcs teams added to the mix (TCU and Utah being the top candidates).  I think everyone agrees we would be an attractive candidate for the ACC or the SEC.

If you believe the UCF fans they are #1 in line for ACC and SEC, jumping over all the other BE teams.

They are some weird people. They truly believe that.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Cincinnati will never never never be a Big 10 team. I know for 100% certain. Academically they don't fit at all.

I said it in another thread IF the ACC expands again, USF will need to grow leaps and bounds to be included. Last expansion they ignored WVU and Louisville because Duke, Wake, UNC, and Virginia did not want schools with those academic profiles joint in the conference. Both the  Big 10 and ACC are academic and athletic powerhouses.

I know this isn't stuff we'd want yo hear but as many of you know I work in athletics for a college. These are very important things for those two conferences.

With our recent APR a BCS low 909, it's not happening.

• Content Count:  557

I'm not buying that. UConn is not a member of the AAU. They are not the best fit out there for the Big 10. If they are just going to take one team it would be Pitt. Pitt is a member of thee AAU, is in the heart of BIG 10 territory, has a natural rival in Penn St. Oh and old man Jo PA has already said he would want to play Pitt on a regular basis. Don't forget this thing really started to get legs once Jo Pa opened his mouth and made it known that he wanted the Big 10 to expand.

I don't even think they will take UConn if they take three teams.

• Content Count:  1,251

Cincinnati will never never never be a Big 10 team. I know for 100% certain. Academically they don't fit at all.

I said it in another thread IF the ACC expands again, USF will need to grow leaps and bounds to be included. Last expansion they ignored WVU and Louisville because Duke, Wake, UNC, and Virginia did not want schools with those academic profiles joint in the conference. Both the  Big 10 and ACC are academic and athletic powerhouses.

I know this isn't stuff we'd want yo hear but as many of you know I work in athletics for a college. These are very important things for those two conferences.

yeh im really concerned we will be left out......it is gonna be awful when it happens

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Chill we are not going to be left out. The SEC and ACC are not expanding. The more I think about it, I really don't see the Big Ten expanding past 14 because there are not enough schools that really help them.

Rutgers is obvious for the NY market.

Syracuse is ok, that gives you upstate NY.

Missouri, ok sure that gives you another state and St. Louis and maybe Kansas City.

Pitt....why?, you already have the Pittsburgh market with Penn State, why give away more money? (see: http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2010/03/addition_of_pitt_wouldnt_exten.html

UConn...maybe, they are not an AAU school....are you going to now invite one non-AAU member??

ND....sure, but there is no way they will accept.

Nebraska....maybe...but now we are getting out there as far as geography.

Colorado....well now we are getting crazy but sure if you want to be that big geography wise. Rutgers-Colorado is a short trip.  ;D

SO right now I can see where 2 Big East Members help their BTN footprint and 1 to 3  Big 12 members.

I think we will be fine, just reload with a couple of schools. Losing Rutgers and Cuse in football is not going to kill the Big East.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

1. You personally attacked me. 

No, I didn't personally attack you. I don't even know you.

I simply stated that, because of your ridiculously hard stance about McMurphy being justified in attacking the entire institution of USF because he didn't like Leavitt for ANY reason (even if legitimate), that it appeared if you do anything remotely on your wrong side that you'll cut their brakes. It was obviously sarcasm.

Luckily, you and I are anonymous on here so I don't have to worry about checking my car for explosives because of all the 'personal attacks' I've unleashed on you apparently.

(Did I personally attack you anywhere above?)

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

This is a great point. One which I hadn't considered.

Let's hope the APR will get higher. Though, when referring to academic profiles, I'd imagine they mean the university as a whole and not the football squad? Even then, the academic profile of the entire university is not up to the standards of the Big 10 / ACC either. Sports is very far off though.

Archived