• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East In serious trouble of being carved up (link)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Makes you wonder whether USF would already be a member of AAU, had they elected to be the University of Florida at Temple Terrace, as some people proposed at the time.

I agree, it's a lot easier to get into a club, when one of your own is aleady a member.

If that were true , then why aren't any of the other 12 University of Wisconsin - Universities in the AAU ?  The University of Wisconsin - Madison has been in the "club" since the year (1900) the AAU was founded.

Wisconsin has a small population of only 5,600,000.

Florida is more than triple that with a population of 17,750,000.

Are there any other universities in Wisconsin doing the research dollars of FSU or USF?

There is no guaranty of becoming a member of AAU, but it certainly helps if you have inside support. from existing members.

I seriously doubt that some of those newer University of California AAU members would have been accepted at the time if it were not for their brethren.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Hmm, not so fast on expansion says B10 Commish.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2010-04-21-big-ten-expansion-update_N.htm

Delany: Big Ten 'not anywhere near' expansion decision

The Big Ten Conference is still in the early stages of weighing whether and where to expand and is "not anywhere near" the point of identifying and approaching prospective new schools, commissioner Jim Delany said Wednesday.

"We have not accelerated anything," Delany said, refuting a Chicago Tribune report late last week that the league had stepped up its timetable.

In announcing it was exploring expansion beyond its current 11 members, the Big Ten said in December that Delany would take 12-18 months to draw up recommendations to its council of school presidents.

He met with the presidents in conjunction with semiannual meetings of the Association of American Universities in Washington, D.C., earlier this week, but described those discussions as routine.

While "I'm not saying it didn't come up," Delany said of expansion, he insisted it merely was one of several league issues addressed.

He declined to get into details of the discussions.

Delany is in Scottsdale, Ariz., for regular football Bowl Championship Series meetings through Thursday. He spoke to USA TODAY in a telephone interview.

Also in Scottsdale are other commissioners, including the Big East's John Marinatto and Big 12's Dan Beebe, and speculation had been rampant that Delany could serve them notice of the Big Ten's interest in talking to officials at Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Missouri and Nebraska, among other potential expansion targets.

"We'll work with our athletic directors and our presidents. If there's a need to have formal discussions about expansion with another institution, we'll reach out," Delany said.

"But we're still in the process of analyzing and gathering information, and we're not anywhere near what I would describe as formal expansion discussions with any member. We haven't changed anything, neither the timetable nor the process that was described."

Hmmm... I don't buy it, to me it sounds like the Big10 is trying to baby face and give Notre Dame a bit more time to bite at their offer.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Makes you wonder whether USF would already be a member of AAU, had they elected to be the University of Florida at Temple Terrace, as some people proposed at the time.

I agree, it's a lot easier to get into a club, when one of your own is aleady a member.

If that were true , then why aren't any of the other 12 University of Wisconsin - Universities in the AAU ?  The University of Wisconsin - Madison has been in the "club" since the year (1900) the AAU was founded.

She didn't say if you're part of a campus that has membership that you're automatically considered. Just that it's easier. Just like if your dad is VP of a company and you're a new graduate you're more likely to be hired by the company than some other bozo.

Are you just arguing to argue at this point though?

Guest Sunburned

I seriously doubt that some of those newer University of California AAU members would have been accepted at the time if it were not for their brethren.

Okay, compare USF to UC-Irvine (AAU 1996) one of California's newest members, and tell us why USF would have been/is more qualified.

http://apps.research.uci.edu/centers/researchPrograms.cfm?ru_type_cd=ALL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_California,_Irvine

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Okay, compare USF to UC-Irvine (AAU 1996) one of California's newest members, and tell us why USF would have been/is more qualified.

You do realize that by having the "UC" tag more esteemed students/professors/etc are often more inclined to go there, right? The UC tag is a fairly prestigious one. I know I wouldn't consider Eckerd College with it's name. If it's name were UF-Eckerd or something, I'd be much more inclined to have gone there (if I could stand UF.)

If it was just University of Irvine I'd imagine there would be problems.

Still, this is a subjective scenario. We cannot gauge how good/bad UC-Irvine would be without the tag just as we couldn't gauge how much more well regarded we'd be if we were UF-Temple Terrace. It's our theory that the tag helps, it's yours that it doesn't.

Do you think the Acer iPad would sell as well as the Apple iPad? Why is this theory any different? Name brands work. UC is a brand.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

FWIW, Georgia Tech just became the first new AAU member in nine years. I'm glad to see that they are at least adding somebody for a change:

The addition of Georgia Tech brings the association's membership to 63 institutions.  An invitation to join AAU requires approval by three-fourths of the current members.  The association considers universities for membership periodically, using a set of factors to assess the caliber of a university’s faculty, research enterprise and education programs.

http://www.gatech.edu/newsroom/release.html?nid=55442

• Content Count:  21,338
  • Days Won:  10

I hope we move to the ACC that would make me happy.  We could compete and finish middle of the road until Skip hits his stride.

• Content Count:  40
  • Days Won:  0

You do realize that by having the "UC" tag more esteemed students/professors/etc are often more inclined to go there, right? The UC tag is a fairly prestigious one. I know I wouldn't consider Eckerd College with it's name. If it's name were UF-Eckerd or something, I'd be much more inclined to have gone there (if I could stand UF.)

If it was just University of Irvine I'd imagine there would be problems.

Still, this is a subjective scenario. We cannot gauge how good/bad UC-Irvine would be without the tag just as we couldn't gauge how much more well regarded we'd be if we were UF-Temple Terrace. It's our theory that the tag helps, it's yours that it doesn't.

Do you think the Acer iPad would sell as well as the Apple iPad? Why is this theory any different? Name brands work. UC is a brand.

The UC-Irvine comparison is interesting to me since they were my runner up for grad schools and it took UCLA to beat them out so I have spent a lot of time  researching, visiting, etc. UC schools.  What I can say with certainty is that the academic success of schools like UC-Irvine/Davis/Santa Barbara/etc. is not just due to the UC tag.  The UC campuses work together a lot better than state Universities in other states, especially Florida (see recent "flagship" nonsense from UF).  For example, you can very easily take classes at another UC campus, and researchers, and resources like libraries, etc. are more tightly knit between UC schools.  Yes, Berkeley and UCLA are the big names in the state but many of the other UC campuses are truly world class and would be the best university in most other states (including Florida).  Their philosophy of academic collaboration rather than competition has resulted in so many strong schools and the common UC name reflects this successful philosophy rather than being the reason for the success.

Archived