• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This all about money and nothing more!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  742
  • Days Won:  0

This is not about money, it is not about boosters, it is about a violation of the university rules.

People this is not a conspiracy. Get past it.

Grow up. If it was just about a "violation" it would have been a slap on the wrist at worst, most likely swept under the carpet.

It was all about image. Miller was a convenient "issue" for the administration to rid themselves of a coach they thought no longer fit in, just like Adam James was used to get at Leach.

Look I am up for a good conspiracy theory any day but this is not one of those times. Well I know that the "boosters" were surprised about it. Second the cheapest way out would have been to keep Leavitt.

If he would have came out and owned it from the beginning you are probably right. They would have kept him around.

No, they wouldn't have ...

You may be right but Woolard and Pres. Genshaft did not want to fire Leavitt. He had to put himself into a position where they really had no choice. They had to protect the university.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,704
  • Days Won:  108

This is not about money, it is not about boosters, it is about a violation of the university rules.

Grow up. If it was just about a "violation" it would have been a slap on the wrist at worst, most likely swept under the carpet.

It was all about image. Miller was a convenient "issue" for the administration to rid themselves of a coach they thought no longer fit in, just like Adam James was used to get at Leach.

Look I am up for a good conspiracy theory any day but this is not one of those times. Well I know that the "boosters" were surprised about it. Second the cheapest way out would have been to keep Leavitt.

If he would have came out and owned it from the beginning you are probably right. They would have kept him around.

No, they wouldn't have ...

You may be right but Woolard and Pres. Genshaft did not want to fire Leavitt. He had to put himself into a position where they really had no choice. They had to protect the university.

When Woolard, in his statement, said he wished that the results of the investigation had led to a different conclusion, I believed him.

• Content Count:  14,408
  • Days Won:  13

Most all of us wished the investigation had led to a different conclusion.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I watched the press release live today.  Judy is a red eyed as anyone could imagine, and quite genuine.

She didn't expect this nor want it, it is clear.  She is too strong a person to appear the way she did to day in high def.  Visibly shaken.

This was a bad day for her and woolard.  

This was neither planned nor orchestrated.

• Content Count:  98

What are you going to say if USF hires a coach for more than the $1.6-1.8 million/year that CJL was making?

• Content Count:  12,293

that is the same question that was asked in the thread where they accused it of being about the money.  why the  seperate post?

• Content Count:  1,204

What are you going to say if USF hires a coach for more than the $1.6-1.8 million/year that CJL was making?

That they wouldn't have been able to do it had they canned Leavitt and paid him to walk. 

I think it's apparent that Leavitt's lack of a Big East title or BCS appearances played into this.  If they had won the Big East and beaten Florida in the Sugar do you think this happens as it had?  Nah.  An internal athletics investigation happens and it gets brushed under the rug with a slap on the wrist.  But now what boosters we have don't think he can get us over the hump and plenty of people wanted a change.  Just read this board from a few months ago to see that.  We also saw plenty of people here who saw this as a way to dump Leavitt without having to pay him.

So a means to an end.

Worst case scenario is that Leavitt files suit and USF settles and pays him $2M or so of the $8M owed while issuing an apology for wrongful dismissal if deemed necessary for his future in coaching.  But that still means USF is largely off the hook and that they don't need to stick with him for five more years.  Maybe the boosters kick in a bit more money because USF did the dirty deed and got them what they wanted.

And maybe it does work out.  The reality is that unless Leavitt went elsewhere, the options were slim for five years because of his current deal.  They were so obsessed with making sure Leavitt didn't go elsewhere that they killed their own flexibility.  So McMurphy tosses them a bone.  Heck, maybe a booster or two picked up on some player discontent and sent them to McMurphy, knowing his own issues with Leavitt.  Maybe McMurphy talked the boys up to help them get their story straight so it would sound believable.  Problem solved.  USF is mostly off the hook.  McMurphy ends up thinking his crap doesn't stink.  And they probably think Leavitt lands on his feet.  My guess is he rejoins Snyder in Kansas and eventually becomes the HC out at K-State.

The sad thing is the above scenario isn't necessarily unrealistic.  The report talks about Leavitt trying to cover up.  How can they not be sure that someone organized and coached the players to talk about what they "saw"?  This isn't a closed environment.  There was about a month in between the Louisville game and McMurphy's story.  Plenty of time for a group of players to come together and figure out how they want to do this.  Do we know that they didn't meet with each other? 

In the end, I think the money might not be everything here and I do think that Joel Miller reacted negatively to whatever happened initially, but I think it was largely used as a means to an end.  They could get it done "independently" and make it look clean to try to get USF off the hook.  Promises could be made of donations if Genshaft properly took care of Leavitt.  I wish this didn't sound possible, but people go crazy with football.  And Genshaft never saw a dollar bill she didn't covet.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,658
  • Days Won:  29

You don't know that yet... none of us will until a new coach is hired... if USF hires a big name coach or a coach that has done something like win a NC or compete for one then you would be right.

However if USF hires some stooge assistant then your dead wrong and this was about money... in that case then Judy and co need to join Leavitt in the unemployment line.

I'm withholding my judgment until we hire a new coach.

Boosters had a part in this ... a bit part.

Bottom Line is the incident and the way Leavitt handled it.

• Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

You don't know that yet... none of us will until a new coach is hired... if USF hires a big name coach or a coach that has done something like win a NC or compete for one then you would be right.

However if USF hires some stooge assistant then your dead wrong and this was about money... in that case then Judy and co need to join Leavitt in the unemployment line.

I'm withholding my judgment until we hire a new coach.

Boosters had a part in this ... a bit part.

Bottom Line is the incident and the way Leavitt handled it.

Ding ding ding.  It is the whole picture...  And I am sure money vs. results played a big factor.

Archived