• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stan Heath's philosophy:It won't work

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

I agree with the fact his philosphy is to slow the game down but disagree in the fact that he needs to recruit huge guys and shooters instead of athetes.  That would almost be like Notre Dame and not like they arent good but they would do that better than us PLUS they do get exposed to big, long, quick and athletic teams the big east has. So dont really think that would work either.  Maybe in the big 10. 

Where I disagree or maybe not disagree but think maybe the offense Vega and CousinRicky point out, where we pass it around to the last 8 seconds and then get stripped, blocked, take bad shots etc. is due to the fact we in fact are not athletic and talented enough.  I played basketball most of my life, when you play organized ball thats what happens when you are clearly outmatched.  Your big man doesnt want the ball in the post, because he cant post his man or do anything.  Your guards dont want to drive because they will get double and triple teamed and turn it over or force bad shots and cant trust his teammates to cut or hit open shots.  No one is moving, no plays are being effectively ran.  I dont think it was bad coaching I just think its the limitations of our players.  D JOnes has to make acrobatic shots which is fun to look at but they arent consistent plays. 

every guy around you has to be good to compete.  We have D Jones running around trying to do it on his own right now.  Ever play 5 on 5 with 4 guys who arent confident or really that good, it makes you look bad.  But play 5 on 5 with 4 guys who are talented and unselfish and everyone looks good.

watch West Virginia, nothing silky smooth about anyof their players, but they are athletic as **** get up and down the court and that alone makes them a final four caliber team. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,691
  • Days Won:  108

I agree with the fact his philosphy is to slow the game down but disagree in the fact that he needs to recruit huge guys and shooters instead of athetes.  That would almost be like Notre Dame and not like they arent good but they would do that better than us PLUS they do get exposed to big, long, quick and athletic teams the big east has. So dont really think that would work either.  Maybe in the big 10. 

Where I disagree or maybe not disagree but think maybe the offense Vega and CousinRicky point out, where we pass it around to the last 8 seconds and then get stripped, blocked, take bad shots etc. is due to the fact we in fact are not athletic and talented enough.  I played basketball most of my life, when you play organized ball thats what happens when you are clearly outmatched.  Your big man doesnt want the ball in the post, because he cant post his man or do anything.  Your guards dont want to drive because they will get double and triple teamed and turn it over or force bad shots and cant trust his teammates to cut or hit open shots.  No one is moving, no plays are being effectively ran.   I dont think it was bad coaching I just think its the limitations of our players.  D JOnes has to make acrobatic shots which is fun to look at but they arent consistent plays. 

every guy around you has to be good to compete.  We have D Jones running around trying to do it on his own right now.  Ever play 5 on 5 with 4 guys who arent confident or really that good, it makes you look bad.  But play 5 on 5 with 4 guys who are talented and unselfish and everyone looks good.

watch West Virginia, nothing silky smooth about anyof their players, but they are athletic as **** get up and down the court and that alone makes them a final four caliber team.   

Don't quite agree with where you are going with that.  Wouldn't it make sense that if you don't have superior athletes that you WOULD run set plays rather than trying to go one on one?  Princeton NEVER had superior athletes (except maybe when Bill Bradley was there or possibly Armond Hill) but ran plays and made their opponents crazy.  Now this was before the shot clock so things have changed, but Georgetown runs a version of Pete Carill's Princeton offense since John Thompson III coached at Princeton.  We run no set plays.  The point is try running some plays and don't worry about running the clock down to 8 before you try to run something.

• Content Count:  3,084

Yea you are right, Im just trying to not be on the "fire everyone" wagon, but its hard not to with the results.  Maybe Im a disgruntled fan in general, Im a Mets and Jets fan and if you know the history you can understand and USF doesnt help me on the collegiate level. 

I got a text message from someone today saying "you think there will ever be a day when usf is good at a sport"

I replied the only 2 ncaa sports that nationally matter is mens basketball and football, so no. 

if Im not trying to be a nice guy, my real opinion is we are not good at either one of those sports and though Im fighting to keep these words from coming out, Stan Heath isnt the guy for this job. Im not interested in joining conference to be bottom feeders and occasionally having a sign of light so the apologist can just remind us of it when we lose the games that matter.  Im interested in making good bowl games (looking back I was happier getting stomped in the Sunbowl than wining the Canada Bowl) and the NCAA tourney.  I know people will say Im a typcal usf fan with unreal expectations, but if your expectation arent to at least finish in the top 2/3 in BE football and make the tourney in BBall, my opinion is you are a fan who is detrimental to the program, as far as a fan can. 

Watching BE basketball, which ive been doing since i was like 5, its clear again we have no shot.  talent level difference is insane.  BUt ive learned not to get mad nor am I ever surprised.  Bruce - a conditioned Bulls fan.  Ps the jets will lose Sunday night, i wont be surprised. 

• Content Count:  22,691
  • Days Won:  108

Yea you are right, Im just trying to not be on the "fire everyone" wagon, but its hard not to with the results.  Maybe Im a disgruntled fan in general, Im a Mets and Jets fan and if you know the history you can understand and USF doesnt help me on the collegiate level. 

I got a text message from someone today saying "you think there will ever be a day when usf is good at a sport"

I replied the only 2 ncaa sports that nationally matter is mens basketball and football, so no. 

if Im not trying to be a nice guy, my real opinion is we are not good at either one of those sports and though Im fighting to keep these words from coming out, Stan Heath isnt the guy for this job. Im not interested in joining conference to be bottom feeders and occasionally having a sign of light so the apologist can just remind us of it when we lose the games that matter.  Im interested in making good bowl games (looking back I was happier getting stomped in the Sunbowl than wining the Canada Bowl) and the NCAA tourney.  I know people will say Im a typcal usf fan with unreal expectations, but if your expectation arent to at least finish in the top 2/3 in BE football and make the tourney in BBall, my opinion is you are a fan who is detrimental to the program, as far as a fan can. 

Watching BE basketball, which ive been doing since i was like 5, its clear again we have no shot.  talent level difference is insane.  BUt ive learned not to get mad nor am I ever surprised.  Bruce - a conditioned Bulls fan.  Ps the jets will lose Sunday night, i wont be surprised. 

Wasn't trying to draw out the "angry" Blingstein.  I think Heath needs a few more years before anyone starts the "he has to go" stuff.  Sometimes consistency in coaching is worth a lot.  I believe our AD believes being good in basketball will be tougher than football. 

I've said this both years I've been a member of the Bullspen, recruiting against Big East schools in BB is much tougher than football.  Even bottom feeders like St. John have a history that they can point to when recruiting.  Plus, they are all pulling from the big cities in the Northeast, which is like football recruiting in Florida.  BB players are on every street corner up there.  Just need to find the ones that can make the grades for one year.  I don't think it matters who the coach is down here.  It is a tough, tough job to bring in enough talent to win.

• Content Count:  5,982

It will interesting to see how Heath approaches the game tonight because ND can really score. We're at home and normally teams  play at a faster pace on their home floor.

• Content Count:  827
  • Days Won:  0

It will interesting to see how Heath approaches the game tonight because ND can really score. We're at home and normally teams  play at a faster pace on their home floor.

I hear what you are saying but it is impossible to play an up tempo, fast paced game when you only have 2 subs on the bench.

• Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

I must be getting old, I've seen this show before. It's the same old fire a coach routine. Anyone remember a guy by the name of Bob McCullum? He got 4 years here before being let go. Let's give Heath at least the same amount of time. That game against Louisville would have been different had we had Crater and Gilchrist.

I assume that when you say only two sports matter that you are saying only two matter to you. The vast majority of NCAA athletes do not play football or basketball and I bet that their sport matters alot to them. Just because it isn't being picked up by disney/abc/espn doesn't mean its not of national relevance. However even if that was the case, ESPN has devoted a whole channel of sports (ESPNU) that quite often don't have basketball or football on. I am not arguing that football and basketball aren't the most popular but that doesn't mean other sports aren't nationally relevant. So, yes, USF is quite good at a number of sports, we have da*n good baseball and men's soccer teams We have a decent women's basketball team, one that won the NIT championship last year. The same NIT championship everyone would be happy the men's team won. And yes, we have a very good football program. I bet Northern Illinois wishes they were as good as we are.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We do not have a very good football team. Average at best.

Give Heath time. We are getting incrementally better. Patience is a virtue.

• Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

We do not have a very good football team. Average at best.

Give Heath time. We are getting incrementally better. Patience is a virtue.

First what does the football team have to do with this conversation?  If the point is we suffer through average there, well, I refer you to the rest of this board where most people are lined up at the Atheletic Dept. with pitchforks waiting for Leavitt to emerge.  And, I love our Basketball team's effort, but this is way below average.

I am most frustrated with once again we are extremely short on the bench, the star is injured, we have no cohesiveness to our play, and we are just jumping into BE play.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,038
  • Days Won:  469

Deja Bull anyone?

Archived