• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stan Heath's philosophy:It won't work

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

It is looking like Gus Gilchrist will be out for at least 2 more weeks and Heath reallly needs him because no matter the style of play Gus will be effective with his ability to shoot the ball at 6-10, 245 lbs.

In 2 weeks I'm projecting USF to be 1-6 with 11 games remaining on the Big East schedule. Now assuming Gilchrist comes back against SHU on Jan. 28, is he able to be as he was before the injury? With 11 games remaining USF will have to go 5-6 to finish the season at 16-14. The 11 games are home against SHU, Pitt, Cincy, St Johns, Providence, UCONN, and the Road games are against G'Town, ND, Marquette, Nova, and Depaul. Going 5-6 against that schedule looks to be a very uphill battle to me.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's stubborn as ever.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We will be ok. 5 bad minutes led to that loss.

We will be ok. 5 bad minutes led to that loss.

I hope so Delta. I just wish Heath would coach his team from the first practice on to play to what their talent is. Yes we have Gus and Famous, but we have guards like Poland, Showtime, Crater, and Robertson that needs to be allowed to play aggressively. Also Famous and Fitz showed last season that they get the bulk of their points off of guards breaking down the defense, tip ins, and fast breaks. Gus can play any style so we don't have to slow it down to accommodate him.

I don't want the losses to start piling up before Stan comes out and admits that he needs to let these guys run more just like he did last season when the team was losing, and we had Jones, Mercer, and Howard then.

If Stan doesn't change his style of play soon then this will be one of the more disappointing seasons in USF history considering we have enough to win 18 games. He's starting to make me question his own toughness and nerves.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I see it's not only football where fans make stupid, absurd assumptions about an entire season based on one single loss. This is the team's first game together with this roster, after losing far and away their best player from last season. It happens.

The original poster in this thread spent all offseason telling us that losing Jones didn't matter, that the team would be able to build on last year and make the NCAA tournament anyway*. Now, after one single game, it has changed its mind and now it is telling us the season "won't work" then? Don't be so fickle. One game isn't enough time to tell anything at all, good or bad, even for someone as, uh ... "knowledgeable" ... as the poster in question.

* - Hopefully, most people were smart enough to know that you didn't know what you were talking about here. Obviously the team <i>can</i> make the tournament, in theory, but it's not a very realistic expectation, and it never was.

EDIT: I should say, I didn't actually read the first post, or any other post in this thread, only the thread subject. It takes at least a little bit of credibility to get me to read that much of someone's writing.

I see it's not only football where fans make stupid, absurd assumptions about an entire season based on one single loss. This is the team's first game together with this roster, after losing far and away their best player from last season. It happens.

The original poster in this thread spent all offseason telling us that losing Jones didn't matter, that the team would be able to build on last year and make the NCAA tournament anyway*. Now, after one single game, it has changed its mind and now it is telling us the season "won't work" then? Don't be so fickle. One game isn't enough time to tell anything at all, good or bad, even for someone as, uh ... "knowledgeable" ... as the poster in question.

* - Hopefully, most people were smart enough to know that you didn't know what you were talking about here. Obviously the team <i>can</i> make the tournament, in theory, but it's not a very realistic expectation, and it never was.

First off I said Howard would be much harder to replace and I stand by that.

Now this is a thread from last season that I will go to because it proved me right when the HC himself came out after we started 0-4 in the Big East and said that "We needed to speed things up and be more aggressive." That team had Jones on it and was going nowhere fast until the style of play changed. That's what I talked about then and now. I said before this season started that we had no chance to win unless we play aggressive on offense and defense. Of course all I got was "we have Gus and Famous and need to play halfcourt so they could get the ball."

Playing passive and conservative won't beat good teams.

Also did I really hear Coach Heath say that he shouldn't have scheduled So Miss as an opener? If that's so I never heard a HC of any major conference team say something like that. Fans across the nation of CBB would laugh at us if they heard that coming from our coach. That sounds so cowardly and surely a competitive person would never think that much less say something like it. Boy if some of the guys on ESPN heard that.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

He made some questionable substitutions there late in the game while we still had the lead.

He made some questionable substitutions there late in the game while we still had the lead.

True

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,608
  • Days Won:  424

Also did I really hear Coach Heath say that he shouldn't have scheduled So Miss as an opener?

Link?

Archived