• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So we lost godfrey and reese to UCF....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

on the negative side we should not be losing recruiting battles to UCF for any reason. it is inevitable of course but it shows that we still have a ways to go to become a powerhouse program where kids are willing to wait a year or two before seeing playing time.  we just aren\\\'t there yet.

I guess \\ Florida State, Miami, Georgia, Michigan, \\\Tennessee aren't there yet, \\\either.  ;)

Godfrey also had offers from Florida State, Miami, Georgia, Michigan, Tennessee and countless others

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

What part of "He's excited that he'll be able to participate in spring practice and compete for the Knights' wide-open quarterback position." don't you understand? He wants to play/start immediately and he wouldn't be able to at USF. And to your other post... yes, BJ has the QB positioned locked down. Why wouldn't he? Yes he looked bad at times, but he was also a redshirt freshman, they tend to be up-and-down. He'll get better as he matures and gains more experience.

I don't think BJD has, or should have, the position "locked down." He was a very good QB last year, for a freshman, but had some problems obviously. If he goes through drills and the coaches don't see much improvement he deserves to be pulled if not for any other reason than to know he can be.

I didn't particularly notice BJD get better as the year progressed, though a large part of that can probably be attributed to poor  playcalling by Canales, meanwhile I did see a TRUE FRESHMAN surpass his performance over at Rutgers (see our shutout as an a prime example) as the year progressed.

Please don't lecture people like smazza on how position battles ought to work, he's a buffoon in terms of negativity but he's probably seen incredibly more football battles than you have in your...oh let's guess...3 years (?) of football watching.

Bottom line, there aren't many people on the roster that have a starting spot locked down next year; though there are many probable starters.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I would say BJ has the QB position "locked down" if for nothing else he has no other competition. Landi is moving to WR. We are going to bring in 2 freshman QBs.....so he is going to lose out to a true freshman QB....with no spring ball? If you have followed USF for any length of time....you know CJL always defers to the senior players...to a fault. Whether it be Julmiste, Mike Williams, Mo Plancher.....he rarely gives the younger guys chances over the older players....regardless of talent level. It seemed to about kill him to finally put Grothe in.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Have we learned nothing from Hurricane Mutiny?  You guys have a long way to go to be fans of a big time program.

It's obvious we stopped recruiting those guys.   ::)

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

I would say BJ has the QB position "locked down" if for nothing else he has no other competition. Landi is moving to WR. We are going to bring in 2 freshman QBs.....so he is going to lose out to a true freshman QB....with no spring ball? If you have followed USF for any length of time....you know CJL always defers to the senior players...to a fault. Whether it be Julmiste, Mike Williams, Mo Plancher.....he rarely gives the younger guys chances over the older players....regardless of talent level. It seemed to about kill him to finally put Grothe in.

I never said BJD isn't the locked in QB for now. I said if they're both going through drills and if BJ doesn't progress that he will/should be benched in favor of an up and comer like Carnes (at least for a brief period). We don't typically recruit the most brilliant players so I don't expect Brion to get to campus and outsmart BJ immediately but Tom Savage showed what a smart QB is capable of; as the year progressed he got better. BJ got worse or stalemated at best (again, may be mostly due to horrible playcalling by Canales). If Brion can prove to be the smarter guy, BJ will not be guaranteed to start the entire year.

And, for the record, I doubt even Godfrey expects to start from game 1 in UCF. He'll definitely get a shot in his first year because their situation is so bad. If BJ shows little progression through his RS Soph. year Brion will get a shot if he deserves it -- just like Godfrey is hoping for with Calabrese. Book it.

P.S. I expect BJD to start the remainder of his career here, for the most part. I do "suspect" Leavitt will be going against the grain more than in the past though (like playing younger guys over seniors).

• Content Count:  22
  • Days Won:  0

These guys wanna compete for championships, that's why they chose UCF over usf.

• Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

These guys wanna compete for championships, that's why they chose UCF over usf.

0 bowl wins right?

• Content Count:  4,879

yeah, the liberty bowl is really special

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

He would never have sniffed the field at USF as a QB.

• Content Count:  276

Have we learned nothing from Hurricane Mutiny?  You guys have a long way to go to be fans of a big time program.

It's obvious we stopped recruiting those guys.   ::)

You stopped recruiting Godfrey within days of his verbal?  Impressive.

Besides, didn't Chandler himself say that Miami stopped recruiting him?  See, even the recruits can confirm what I told you.

Archived