• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I think I've got our "fans" figured out

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  239
  • Days Won:  0

Hopefully we get some solid recruits and move up from 6th place next year. Would like to see a linebacker corps that doesn't force us to play the nickle because we can't scrounge up three starters. Would also like to see BJ improve and a bowl win.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Sheriff, ESPN loved the 4th down call...it amazed me.

For me, as a fan, I will tell any fan that we can go toe to toe with their team. I don't talk smack, but if our team is playing well, we can play with anyone. It's why we have been able to win games against teams that are supposed to be much better than us. I think that it's easy for me to draw the line between games we "can" win, and games that we "should" win. We "should" have played Rutgers better. The other 4 losses are games we "could" have won, but when MG went down, there were several that we "could" have lost as well (UL, FSU, WVU), so it's basically a wash.

I am looking forward to next year though. I don't think we can judge Chico by this season. It was his first year running a spread, and he was also hand cuffed with a rookie at THE most important position in a spread. I think Treasey is a good DC, our defense has been soft, but I think it was because we didn't have the corners to cover without getting burned. The cushion we give is a result of not being able to cover man-to-man, and thus you have to prevent the big play and give up some underneath stuff.

I think our DL is better next year if JPP comes back. It hurts not having Kion Wilson, and I am worried about LBs. Is Young going to be good enough to step into Nate Allen's shoes? I think Allen and Wilson are huge losses off of the defense. In limited action, I think Tyson Butler has done a good job at corner, hopefully he challenges Q next year, whoever comes out of that battle will be better for it.

On offense, we should be pretty solid if BJ improves. I think Landi could be the new Hester and Mitchell, Love, and Bogan should all be very solid. I still love Mike Ford, I know there are a lot of doubters, I don't know what he does in practice, I don't care. The kid is a true running back. He pounds the ball. Guys like that are generally going to look pretty slow and weak in their first few carries. He is the answer at RB, give him 15-20 carries per week, and our offense opens up so much. It makes BJ a much better runner as well, if you can get that LB leaning toward the RB for just a split second, it's a huge difference in the hole that is created for BJ. Give the ball to Ford, use Taylor for a 3rd down back, and leave it at that. We need consistency at the RB position if we are going to take the next step on offense.

Just my thoughts, probably not in the best thread to post them, but oh well.

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

My take on the 4th down call was one of sarcasm by them to be honest... If the receiver doesn't make a great play, the announcers would have roasted our coaches like they did the call before... just my two cents.

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

I'm more embarrassed by the video some of our football players decided to act like goons in. I only get pissed and feel let down when the screw up and lose on the field. After investing so much money in tickets, merchandise, bowl games and donations to the University i think i have a right to be upset about things in our program.  Just my :2cents

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

My take on the 4th down call was one of sarcasm by them to be honest... If the receiver doesn't make a great play, the announcers would have roasted our coaches like they did the call before... just my two cents.

Agreed.

I was OK with the 3rd down call because it was a safe pass (unless the QB throws way behind the receiver and it gets picked), and you feel like you can pound it for the first on 4th down. Mitchell may have been able to make something out of that 3rd down play if the ball wasn't 4 yards behind him, turned into a dangerous throw, but there is no reason that a d-1 QB would make that bad of a throw on that play.

4th down was terrible, it's not like our WRs have the best hands on earth, everyone could execute perfectly and Mitchell could drop the ball and no one would be surprised.

My only realy coaching gripes were...1. that game shows that we should be pounding Ford more, I feel like Franks/Leavitt/Canales/Santa Clause just really doesn't like the kid. 2. Would have been nice to kill more time before the score. I know you have to take what you get, but it accentuates how stupid the 4th down call was. Oh, and Leavitt should get out there himself for the kickoff if our kicker can only get the ball to the 35, that's sad.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Don't confuse being upset with being embarrassed.

There is plenty to be upset or concerned about - or disappointed in - but embarrassment is an unnecessary personal choice in my books and I'll leave it at that.

When your kid, that you invested time, effort and emotions in stands up and farts in school play and tells the crowd to suck it, you'll know embarrassment.

• Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

What about the fan who doesnt run his mouth to his friends but has open discussions and represents his university confidently that we could beat those teams and this year would be different for x amount of reasons. Only to be embarrassed by how poorly your team played feeling dissapointed at the same time. Its crushing on alot of levels. I think theres after so much dissapointment one can only feel embrassed that they put themselves out there defending their team to be blown out like those losses.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

i only really get mad when we totally dont show up

ala rutgers

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

What about the fan who doesnt run his mouth to his friends but has open discussions and represents his university confidently that we could beat those teams and this year would be different for x amount of reasons. Only to be embarrassed by how poorly your team played feeling dissapointed at the same time. Its crushing on alot of levels. I think theres after so much dissapointment one can only feel embrassed that they put themselves out there defending their team to be blown out like those losses.

Having followed the team since its beginning, I've seen a lot.  NEVER have I EVER confidently stated that we would win a game, with the exception of the usual I-AA warm-ups.  But then it was only in response to being asked that I would say "they should".  Just like they should have beat Rutgers in my opinion.  That game had a shocking outcome.  I guess had I told everyone, er "confidently represented my university" (or placed a large bet and lost) I could feel embarrassed.  But no, I didn't.  Too many moving parts and intangibles to allow emotion to fuel a confident statement that we would win. 

Whether or not I play football analyst gives me no right to be embarrassed when things don't go the way I think they should.  Embarrassed?  No, misinformed? Maybe.  Just plain wrong?  Certainly.  Disappointed, definitely.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

So you're not really embarassed by them but by yourself, for being wrong ...

Archived