• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I blame ESPN for USF football's "demise"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  14,408
  • Days Won:  13

What 'demise'? We have been going to bowl games for several years now. We get some lime light games on ESPN. We are a baby program. We are better then we should be, just ask any Vandy, Duke, Rice, UCF or Temple fan, they would LOVE to be on in Prime Time. When was the Men's Basketball program on in Prime Time?????????????????????????????????

You made my point exactly we should classify the USF football program on the same level of Vandy, Duke, Rice and Temple.  I think anything above a .500 season with wins over I-AA teams should be classified as a good if not great season.

No, actually I would classify USF with the other 23 BCS schools that have had 5 straight winning seasons.  You know the Ohio States, Texas, etc...

And pray tell me when was USF's last 6-6 or losing season was?  Oh yeah, several years ago.  Nice made up arguement.  When you have to make stuff up, you know you've lost the battle already.....lol

Translation:

I have no arguement except to rant like a 15 year girl because I can't have my brand new car from Daddy now.  

Couple of facts:

• A record above .500 is defined as a  winning season.  (Please read the post)
  • Ohio State, Texas etc is where USF wants to be. The difference between USF and those programs is UT and OSU either win or compete for their conference championship on an annual basis. Unfortunately USF has only come close once but that got Vodoo'd away.

Yeah, USF came close once in its decades in the Big East of winning the conference. Well, half a decade, anyway. USF is in the top 1/3 of all college football teams, better then most programs out there,  better then all but 2 of the programs in Florida, arguably the best state for football talent. . Give it a couple of decades, and if no titles, then start bemoaning the program.

But be realistic and look at the history of college football. By the way, USF wants to win the Big East, something Texas and Ohio State do some years, but not every year (sometimes OU and Penn St and Michigan and, well you get the picture) . You are thinking of FSU before VT and Miami joined the ACC. Or USC, but those are 2 conferences out of all of them that have/had only 1 powerhouse. As its pointed out many times, including now in commercials, The Big East is the most even in terms of party between the teams, for whatever reason. Just look at how underdogs win and favorites get upset in the Big East. You expect USF to beat WVU and then WVU beat Pitt? Really? Its a young program. Think of those losses as growing pains.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Honestly folks, I'm tired of hearing the statistic of USF going to 5 straight bowl games. It's nice, yes. But it's not a very good measure of success. In our 8-member conference, 6 teams will go to bowl games this year, and frankly, we'll probably be the team in 6th place (we can get as high as 5th with a win over UConn, hurrah). Going to a bowl game for us simply means we aren't Syracuse or Louisville. Now, THANK GOSH we aren't one of them; clearly we could be in a worse situation if we were bottom-feeders in the conference. But while going to 5 straight bowl games is cute for a program which is kinda the new kid on the block, it shouldn't be what we STRIVE for. In my opinion, if avoiding being a bottom-feeder means we get a bowl game, we should kinda sorta EXPECT that. Expectations don't need to be "we're gonna be national champions" every year - but I feel we've passed the point where we need to worry about whether we're going to make a bowl game.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

we can get as high as 5th with a win over UConn, hurrah

We can get as high as 4th with a win and a WVU win. I believe 4th was exactly where we were predicted to finish by numerous "pundits".

Considering we lost Matt before conference play began, did you honestly think we'd finish higher than 4th?

• Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Honestly folks, I'm tired of hearing the statistic of USF going to 5 straight bowl games. It's nice, yes. But it's not a very good measure of success. In our 8-member conference, 6 teams will go to bowl games this year, and frankly, we'll probably be the team in 6th place (we can get as high as 5th with a win over UConn, hurrah). Going to a bowl game for us simply means we aren't Syracuse or Louisville. Now, THANK GOSH we aren't one of them; clearly we could be in a worse situation if we were bottom-feeders in the conference. But while going to 5 straight bowl games is cute for a program which is kinda the new kid on the block, it shouldn't be what we STRIVE for. In my opinion, if avoiding being a bottom-feeder means we get a bowl game, we should kinda sorta EXPECT that. Expectations don't need to be "we're gonna be national champions" every year - but I feel we've passed the point where we need to worry about whether we're going to make a bowl game.

While i don't think its an end all be all..."yeah we've arrived" type of thing.....its a lot harder accomplishment than many of you give credit for.

The following teams (just a sample) HAVEN'T been able to make it to a bowl for the past 5 straight years:

Pitt

UConn

Cincy

Texas A&M

Kansas St

Nebraska

Tennessee

Auburn

Arkansas

Miami

Michigan

Iowa

Oregon State

And another 20+ BCS teams

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

While i don't think its an end all be all..."yeah we've arrived" type of thing.....its a lot harder accomplishment than many of you give credit for.

The following teams (just a sample) HAVEN'T been able to make it to a bowl for the past 5 straight years:

Pitt

UConn

Cincy

Texas A&M

Kansas St

Nebraska

Tennessee

Auburn

Arkansas

Miami

Michigan

Iowa

Oregon State

I'd prefer swings of greatness and failure over constant mediocrity.

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

I believe there is about 119 1a teams

32 or so bowl games

So HALF the teams in 1a go to a bowl.  Not impressive!

Still, we are far from a demise! Notre Dame and FSU, very close to a demise of their program. This is just a growing pain, figuring out how to break thru into the next level of college football. It aint gonna be easy, but Im sure this program, with the AD, coaches, players and fans, are not happy with the results of this year.

So please, step back from the ledge, donate to USF Athletics, and then maybe our opinions will matter a lil bit.

• Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Pitt

UConn

Cincy

Texas A&M

Kansas St

Nebraska

Tennessee

Auburn

Arkansas

Miami

Michigan

Iowa

Oregon State

Well considering only Cincy on that list has a Conference championship....Im not sure what "swings of greatness" any of those teams had.  If you want to go back beyond 5 years....sure.  But thats the point....we're only 5 freakin years in to building our resume.  Thats hardly even long enough to have a "swing" of any sort. 

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Pitt

UConn

Cincy

Texas A&M

Kansas St

Nebraska

Tennessee

Auburn

Arkansas

Miami

Michigan

Iowa

Oregon State

Well considering only Cincy on that list has a Conference championship....Im not sure what "swings of greatness" any of those teams had.  If you want to go back beyond 5 years....sure.  But thats the point....we're only 5 freakin years in to building our resume.  Thats hardly even long enough to have a "swing" of any sort. 

Wasn't Uconn a Co-Conference Champ one of those years?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

Pitt

UConn

Cincy

Texas A&M

Kansas St

Nebraska

Tennessee

Auburn

Arkansas

Miami

Michigan

Iowa

Oregon State

Wasn't Uconn a Co-Conference Champ one of those years?

Yes ..... but he's still talking about "swings of greatness". I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a co-championship doesn't qualify as a "swing of greatness"...

Archived