• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

anyone else here feel the need for a reality check?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

the intensity of our fans is directly proportional to their emotional investment in this team.

the emotion we put into this team--- the love, excitement, pride, enthusiasm and sometimes shame and disappointment--- is what makes us rabidly dedicated fans.

does it make some of us melt down at the signature Bulls letdowns?  sure.

but if there weren't the possibility of such depressing lows, there wouldn't be such intense highs... and it is those intense highs that create environments like WVU'07 and FSU'09.

you can try to take away the expectations, you can try to take away the occasional fan meltdown after a disappointment, but you would have to take away the emotion and dedication that this fan base is developing for its team, and that would mean taking away the intensity and enthusiasm as well.

you take the good with the bad.

there would be no highs without lows.  it doesn't feel as good to have something if the thought of losing it weren't so painful.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

the intensity of our fans is directly proportional to their emotional investment in this team.

the emotion we put into this team--- the love, excitement, pride, enthusiasm and sometimes shame and disappointment--- is what makes us rabidly dedicated fans.

does it make some of us melt down at the signature Bulls letdowns?  sure.

but if there weren't the possibility of such depressing lows, there wouldn't be such intense highs... and it is those intense highs that create environments like WVU'07 and FSU'09.

you can try to take away the expectations, you can try to take away the occasional fan meltdown after a disappointment, but you would have to take away the emotion and dedication that this fan base is developing for its team, and that would mean taking away the intensity and enthusiasm as well.

you take the good with the bad.

there would be no highs without lows.  it doesn't feel as good to have something if the thought of losing it weren't so painful.

^^Exactly

• Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

it's freaking crazy how our fans act

I just don't see it...

thumbdownld203.jpg

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The big difference between 2 years ago and this year is no one within our program was ready for any of the outside distractions that came with that sudden rise. Not the players and not the coaches. The players were pretty young for the most part and some were expecting to win just by stepping on the field. Grothe was all over the media.  Leavitt was all over the media (if you remember he was even interviewed in the middle of a primetime Florida Gator game). Not being able to handle the spotlight and national attention, I believe, played a big part in being able to prepare properly and have the proper mental focus going into those games. We were also the hunted for the first time. We had never really been in that situation before.

• Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

We will go undefeated and beat LSU in the NCG.  Then we will finish the season playing for the Super Bowl and beat the Patiots.

Just having fun

• Content Count:  1,981

I had high hopes this season till Grothe's injury. Now, the pressure is off, expectations have been lowered, and I see each win as a bonus considering we have a RS Freshman, although a soon to be great one. I know we've seen RS Fr that have stepped up big time, but we know that's not the norm. Still, there is no need for me to downplay each win, I'm just going to enjoy them. I'll root for teams ahead of us to lose so I can see that little number next to our name keep getting lower, and lower, even if it's for just one week.

• Content Count:  4,501

I had high hopes this season till Grothe's injury. Now, the pressure is off, expectations have been lowered, and I see each win as a bonus considering we have a RS Freshman, although a soon to be great one. I know we've seen RS Fr that have stepped up big time, but we know that's not the norm. Still, there is no need for me to downplay each win, I'm just going to enjoy them. I'll root for teams ahead of us to lose so I can see that little number next to our name keep getting lower, and lower, even if it's for just one week.

I am with you Toro - just enjoy the wins and hope for the best.  What is different this year is how many RS and true freshman are getting alot of PT.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

Mike, it's the nature of message boards. The higher the expectations the deeper the depression. Take away the suicidal rants, you kill the board. This board is much more active after a loss, than it is after a win, especially a loss after the build up from a previous big win (aka FSU). Even when countering overreaction to a loss, I love watching them line up to commit seppuku in post form. Extreme optimism must have extreme pessimism. Anything else is, well, boring.  :Asleep

As far as this thread goes? It's the same thing, ain't it? Aren't you complaining about the possibility of complaining, if there is a loss next Thursday?  ;D

Of course, we could have another 4 or 5 threads about uniform fashion.  :throwup2

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

anyone else here feel the need for a reality check?

I have an appointment with the TV on Thursday. 

Archived