• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Champs signs ACC 3 vs BE 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

What? Is the Slow 10 dodging the BEast? I am tired of playing the ACC. We have this bowl, MCC, and a whole lot (as a conference) OOC games against them.

Bowl breakdown

Great season - BCS

Good Season - Champs

Avg - Rotation of MCC and PJ

D*** - St. Pete

As a whole though adding the NYC Bowl and the Champs and losing the Gator is a competition upgrade overall.

It would be nice to go to the Gator this year if we don't make it to BCS. I would be all over that and finding the dollars for a good time.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

I thought we would be able to compete for stronger bowls after the improvement as a conference from 2005. Instead we become the only BCS conference without a Jan 1st or later bowl-tie in, lose the Sun Bowl exposure in the west, and maintain the ND ball and chain every 4 years at an antiquated Citrus Bowl, leaving our 2nd best team all the way down in the Car Care Bowl

That is bad.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I thought we would be able to compete for stronger bowls after the improvement as a conference from 2005. Instead we become the only BCS conference without a Jan 1st or later bowl-tie in, lose the Sun Bowl exposure in the west, and maintain the ND ball and chain every 4 years at an antiquated Citrus Bowl, leaving our 2nd best team all the way down in the Car Care Bowl

That is bad.

Jstew,

This bowl lineup is actually quite an improvement over the last bowl deals, except for the fact that there isn't a Jan 1 bowl except for the BCS game.

Before      Now

BCS          BCS

Gator/Sun  Champs    (Note Old deal ND could take Gator/Sun 2 of 4, they can only take champs 1 of 4)

MCC          MCC

Internat.  Yankee    (HUGE Upgrade)

PJ.com      PJ.com  (Upgrade - Should be SEC 8, instead of SEC 9/Sun Belt/Cusa)

St Pete    St Pete

Intl. (If BE keeps this bowl)

• Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

I'm familiar with the new bowl lineup. We'll agree to disagree here, but you won't convince me the awful Champs Sports Bowl on cable Dec. 27th (and, on occasion, the Meineke Bowl) is better than either a legendary bowl and a Pac-10 opponent,  or a CBS New Year's Day game vs. ACC/Big XII in Florida. Sorry.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Yes,

Our second bowl is a downgrade, but OVERALL we are stronger and have more money in our pockets.

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Other than being played in the Giant Frying Pan, I like it

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The payout will be in the 2.5-3 range from what I've heard.

Del - Florida Citrus Sports didn't renew with the Big 10, their problem was taking 2 big 10 teams for their two bowl games made teams travel to Orlando more and more often...they wanted two conferences not associated with the Cap One Bowl.

As for the frying pan. The Citrus Bowl itslf istabbed for $200 million in upgrades...I thi k that has been delayed to begin aftr New Years Day 2011, but from what I've seen in pIctures it should be a much nicer venue.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I'm pretty excited about this because we could all potentially go to 3 bowl games every year.

As long as I'm not out of town watching the Bulls in the post season, I'm excited about getting to watch other Big East teams playing in Florida.

I was more disappointed with USF going to Saint Pete last year because I didn't to get to go to multiple bowl games.

• Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

Wonder where this leaves the Gator Bowl, with the BE and ACC changing things up.  I assume Big 12 will be involved in Jax, but what tie-in would take the other slot...SEC???

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

i agree with JStew that losing the prestige and exposure of the Sun and Gator is a bad thing, and that the Champs/MCC/Yank as a trio don't compare with Sun/Gator.  playing quality Pac-10 and Big XII opponents beats playing mediocre ACC opponents and the 9th ranked B12 team [or whatever the Yank gets].

although i think cutting ND's bids in half is a reasonable trade-off.  this new deal brings the conference millions on a yearly basis, instead of having to split that money essentially in 1/2 with ND, we are getting 3/4 share.

and it is one step closer to banishing ND from the BE's football universe for good.  maybe next time the bowl contracts come up for renegotiation--- and ND continues to fail year in and year out--- we can cut them out completely, or they will realize they need to pick a conference affiliation and stick with it to remain relevant, and will join as 9th [or by that time, maybe 10th or 12th] football member.

plus it's a lot easier travel.  everything is essentially in the South or along the East Coast, so the bowl affiliations more accurately reflect the regions the conference represents.

Archived