• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe: Under-the-radar Heisman Candidate

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

All I can say is "No kidding" for all those that say he's not a candidate, but that's not what a candidacy is all about.  You are all Bulls fans, for the betterment of USF we should be promoting Matt for Heisman.  Bobbybull...you certainly are master of the obvious.

He's is going to finish his college career in elite territory in terms of yardage and production.  He deserves to at least get mentioned.  Should he, or will he win?  No way, it would take at least an 11-1 regular season record, and him having a Chase Daniels type of senior year in terms of production-- 35 TD's and 4 INT's.  It's not unheard of, but difficult with so many past winners returning with deep squads of their own.

We all realize he doesn't have a snowballs chance, but USF should be promoting him anyway, not be insulting his chances on a message board..RU promoted Teel last year, and USF fans should be cheering everytime his name gets mentioned for it, and I wish USF would be pumping him a bit more.  Anyone that finishes a career with over 13,000 total yards, and possibly over 32 wins as a 4 year starter that warrants a mention.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  118

Personally, I think there's a chance.  It's slim.  But, there's a chance.  It would require a perfect record.  And, he would have to have big numbers week in and week out.  But, if he has the big numbers, leads USF to victories against FSU, Miami, and the Big East, why wouldn't the media get behind him like Tebow two years ago, and McCoy/Bradford last year?

• Content Count:  1,037

I agree lets just win i nor he really cares about anything else  win the big east  but **** lets just make him sound like some slappy from UCF  jeese! tuff crowd....

• Content Count:  259

Not trying to make it personal here.  I think Grothe has taken this program to a new level and he deserves a lot of credit for that.  The win at Auburn - two wins against WVA - taking the team to #2 in the country.  Guy deserves credit.  But he throws way way way too many interceptions.  Your kinda damned if you do and damned if you don't with Grothe.  He needs to stop throwing ints.  I think we are like 150-3 when he doesn't throw an int.

I think Canales realizes that and mentioned that we'll throw a lot more shorter passes - a bunch more screens this year - which i think is probably a good idea.

It's pretty clear what the conference foes are doing.  they are dropping 7 or 8 guys back - making grothe throw it and contain his ability to run the ball.    They mix it up a little bit with the blitz - but for the most part - they just drop a whole bunch of guys back.  Cinci did this and Grothe threw like 5 ints.

Hopefully we finally address that this year.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

I got some waterfront land in Arizona i'd like to sell ya.

Really?

• Content Count:  4,016

Personally, I think there's a chance.  It's slim.  But, there's a chance.  It would require a perfect record.  And, he would have to have big numbers week in and week out.  But, if he has the big numbers, leads USF to victories against FSU, Miami, and the Big East, why wouldn't the media get behind him like Tebow two years ago, and McCoy/Bradford last year?

I agree...I do think the offense and coordinator are finally in place that will allow Matt to let it all hang loose a bit more and open things up.  I think the newer OL will put some pressure on him, but not pressure Matt isn't famous for handling already and if Canales adjusts, and the OL matures then who knows. 

I would rather hope that at the end of the year I could be arguing like hell about how he got shafted.  I certainly think it's silly to be hearing fans on this board dissing him and his chance before the season starts.  We all know the facts, and likelihood but let's pump the kid a bit too.  He deserves to be mentioned, no way to say otherwise. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

Also according to Auman

The overall NCAA record is out of reach for Grothe -- Hawaii's Timmy Chang finished his career with 16,910 yards, but if Grothe were to simply match his total offense from 2008 (3,502 yards), he would finish his college career ranked in the top five in Division I-A history. To get in that top five, he'd have to pass Houston's Kevin Kolb, who finished with 13,715.

Personally think that is Heisman consideration worthy

• Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

It's a VERY Good chance Grothe will end up Top 5 All-Time.

Leaders in career total offense. Here is the top 10:

1. Timmy Chang, Hawaii (2000-24) 16,910

2. Graham Harrell, Texas Tech (2005-08) 15,793

3. Colt Brennan, Hawaii (2005-07) 14,470

4. Ty Detmer, BYU (1988-91) 14,665

5. Kevin Kolb, Houston (2003-06) 13,715

6. Phillip Rivers, NC State (2000-03) 13,582

7. Chase Daniel, Missouri (2005-08) 13,486

8. Brad Smith, Missouri (2002-05) 13,088

9. Luke McCown, La Tech (2000-03) 12,731

10. Tim Rattay, LaTech (1997-99) 12,618

Grothe is at 10,242

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I don't cäre about individual accolades. What I care about is Ws. If MG could somehow get the INTs down to less than 6 and the TD passes to 20+, we have a chnce to be good to great. Another typical season and we'll be average.

• Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

I don't cäre about individual accolades. ....

This is the subject we are replying to though  ;)

Archived