• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Maybe I'm crazy -- my thoughts on our offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  403
  • Days Won:  0

I read posts on here all of the time about our offense and about peoples desires for Coach Gregory to be fired.. but, I have to be honest.  I love watching our offense.  They throw the ball all over the field, deep, short, medium... they seem unpredicatable (they don't run every 1st and 2nd down and then pass every 3rd down).  They distribute the ball around to all of the receivers.  I think it's great.  The execution may be off sometimes.  But, I don't think we need a new play caller.  I'm entertained by our offense.

Now, that being said.  Some changes that I'd probably suggest -- don't rotate running backs so much, allow someone to get in a rythm (I kinda like what I've seen out of Taylor).  Also, stop having Grothe run up the middle.  Sometimes he can break free, but that play seemed to have gotten stuffed a lot this year.

Anyway, my point of this post is that I don't really mind our offense.  I may be alone with these thoughts, but I just wanted to state them.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

I read posts on here all of the time about our offense and about peoples desires for Coach Gregory to be fired.. but, I have to be honest.  I love watching our offense.  They throw the ball all over the field, deep, short, medium... they seem unpredictable (they don't run every 1st and 2nd down and then pass every 3rd down).  They distribute the ball around to all of the receivers.  I think it's great.  The execution may be off sometimes.  But, I don't think we need a new play caller.  I'm entertained by our offense.

Now, that being said.  Some changes that I'd probably suggest -- don't rotate running backs so much, allow someone to get in a rythm (I kinda like what I've seen out of Taylor).  Also, stop having Grothe run up the middle.  Sometimes he can break free, but that play seemed to have gotten stuffed a lot this year.

Anyway, my point of this post is that I don't really mind our offense.   I may be alone with these thoughts, but I just wanted to state them.

:ROFLMAO

• Content Count:  2,478

Wow, really?

My mom can seriously predict what plays we are going to run.

Do you want to know who else is "entertained" by our defense?

-Every other team in the Big East! They love how our offense is run!

• Content Count:  971

I have serious doubts about OCs who bullieve their running backs, or receivers as well, are interchangeable.  Everyone has strengths and weaknesses . . . players should do what they do best . . . short of telegraphing plays to one's opponent.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

I will agree that not having a true feature back is a determent. I will agree that they need to roll out Grothe more. However, if you have to rely on unpredictability, you are destine to fail as an offense. I don't care what style offense you run. A good offense is one that is relatively predictable, but cannot be stopped. Our problem has been the offensive line. We need depth there desperately.

• Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

I've read hundreds of posts about people complaining about how "predictable" our offense is and I got to thinkin'...

If you watched a team play every game all year and followed them close enough, then you would know the plays they run... thus making it "predictable"?????? 

It isn't like we play the same team 12 times.  The opposing teams rely on film and past games (with the same OC obviously)... and so do we.  WVU is pretty predictable, yet they're successful. 

I would rather have a "predictable offense"  than a brand new scheme/playbook every week and making the players even more confused than they already are.

• Content Count:  1,037

I read posts on here all of the time about our offense and about peoples desires for Coach Gregory to be fired.. but, I have to be honest.  I love watching our offense.  They throw the ball all over the field, deep, short, medium... they seem unpredictable (they don't run every 1st and 2nd down and then pass every 3rd down).  They distribute the ball around to all of the receivers.  I think it's great.  The execution may be off sometimes.  But, I don't think we need a new play caller.  I'm entertained by our offense.

Anyway, my point of this post is that I don't really mind our offense.   I may be alone with these thoughts, but I just wanted to state them.

:ROFLMAO

:Bang :Bang :Bang

Grant, is that you?

You do realize that we had arguably our most talented offense ever this year and our scoring decreased from last year.

• Content Count:  5,241

I taught these kids sitting next to me at the bowl game how predictable it was, and they were callin plays too by the 2nd quarter

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

What most fail to recognize is that just because an offense is predictable, doesn't mean its a bad offense.  As long as our offense executes the plays, we would have ultimate success.  In each of our losses (except Rutgers) it basically came down to 3 or 4 plays that weren't made that cost us the game, it wasn't because we were too predictable.  Sure we know when Grothe takes a draw on a 2nd and 6 its predictable, but if it picks up at least half of the yardage needed its a success in my book.  Most of our predictable plays actually gain yards.   

Do you really think the Nebraskas and Alabamas and Penn States of years past weren't predictable?  What made them great was their execution.  You guys don't think UF is predictable?  Most of the time Tebow runs it or gives it to Harvin.  Its the way they execute that makes for a successful play.

• Content Count:  993

I read posts on here all of the time about our offense and about peoples desires for Coach Gregory to be fired.. but, I have to be honest.  I love watching our offense.  They throw the ball all over the field, deep, short, medium... they seem unpredicatable (they don't run every 1st and 2nd down and then pass every 3rd down).  They distribute the ball around to all of the receivers.  I think it's great.  The execution may be off sometimes.  But, I don't think we need a new play caller.  I'm entertained by our offense.

The only thing that makes an offense fun to watch or not, for me, is getting in the endzone.  We didn't do it enough in Big East play therefore it was no fun. 

Archived