• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Maybe I'm crazy -- my thoughts on our offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

What most fail to recognize is that just because an offense is predictable, doesn't mean its a bad offense.  As long as our offense executes the plays, we would have ultimate success.  In each of our losses (except Rutgers) it basically came down to 3 or 4 plays that weren't made that cost us the game, it wasn't because we were too predictable.  Sure we know when Grothe takes a draw on a 2nd and 6 its predictable, but if it picks up at least half of the yardage needed its a success in my book.  Most of our predictable plays actually gain yards.     

Do you really think the Nebraskas and Alabamas and Penn States of years past weren't predictable?  What made them great was their execution.  You guys don't think UF is predictable?  Most of the time Tebow runs it or gives it to Harvin.  Its the way they execute that makes for a successful play.

we don't have the overall talent of an elite team like Florida.

when a team lacks the talent--- which translates into a decreased ability to "execute"--- they lose the ability to be predictable and still be succesful.

that's why teams that are underdogs in the talent department often throw wrinkles and trick plays into their gameplanning.

also, teams like Florida often have 2 or 3 [or more] plays that they run out of each formation, so when you see the 'Turds line up with 4 wide and Teblow and Harvin in the backfield, you don't know if they're going to pass, hand it off to Harvin, run it with Teblow or play action it.

when USF lines up with 4-wide and Grothe and one of our backs in the backfield, it's obvious what the play is going to be depending on the down and the yardage and the back that's in with him.

that's one of the problems with not having a feature back---  when Ford was in, it was a pretty good indication he would be running it.  when BBQ was in, teams knew it would either be a pass, or a read option hand-off that is easily stopped because BBQ simply didn't have the moves to shake tacklers and break out a run.

comparing us to Bama, Penn State or Florida is absurd because we simply aren't as talented, and our coaches simply aren't as good as Saban, JoePa or Meyer.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  403
  • Days Won:  0

When I stated that I feel our offense is unpredictable, I was thinking of Dungy ball with the bucs where they'd run it every 1st and 2nd down and then throw it on 3rd.

Anyway, I do appreciate everyones comments and my opening post definitely was open to debate.  All I was saying is that I really don't think our offensive play calling was all that bad.  Turnovers killed us this year or we would've scored a lot more points.  How many times did we turn the ball over in the red zone??  I'm not going to pull all of the stats.  But, between turnovers, missed receivers,  and penalties, it really killed our offense. 

I don't think it was the play calling and I'll stand by my post and say that I don't mind our offensive play calling.  Yes, some tweaking is in order --  get Grothe out of the pocket, less running Grothe up the middle, and settle on 1 running back who can run, catch, and pass block so that our plays aren't as predictable due to the players on the field.

Other than that, I like it.  It's a wide open offense.  It would drive me crazy to run Ford up the middle every 1st and 2nd down and then throw it every 3rd down.  It could be much worse. 

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Turnovers killed us this year or we would've scored a lot more points.  How many times did we turn the ball over in the red zone??  I'm not going to pull all of the stats.  But, between turnovers, missed receivers,  and penalties, it really killed our offense. 

yes, but u have to consider the likelihood that predictable playcalling leads to turnovers.

it's easier for a defense to pick off a pass if they know it's coming.

• Content Count:  242
  • Days Won:  0

What most fail to recognize is that just because an offense is predictable, doesn't mean its a bad offense.  As long as our offense executes the plays, we would have ultimate success.  In each of our losses (except Rutgers) it basically came down to 3 or 4 plays that weren't made that cost us the game, it wasn't because we were too predictable.  Sure we know when Grothe takes a draw on a 2nd and 6 its predictable, but if it picks up at least half of the yardage needed its a success in my book.  Most of our predictable plays actually gain yards.    

Do you really think the Nebraskas and Alabamas and Penn States of years past weren't predictable?  What made them great was their execution.  You guys don't think UF is predictable?  Most of the time Tebow runs it or gives it to Harvin.  Its the way they execute that makes for a successful play.

Define PREDICTABILITY....

UF may go with Tebow and Harvin a lot (although they have a ridiculous multitude of weapons) but you do not necessarily know HOW they are going to go about it.  There is an element of CREATIVITY in their playcalling, which in turn leads to an element of unpredictability.  Besides the desparity in talent between the UF's of the world and our team, it is this that helps score more points instead of putting up lots of yardage statistics.

I did like the playcalling in the bowl game....unfortunately it took the last game of the season and a poor opponent to grow a set and make plays down the field.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I read posts on here all of the time about our offense and about peoples desires for Coach Gregory to be fired.. but, I have to be honest.  I love watching our offense.  They throw the ball all over the field, deep, short, medium... they seem unpredicatable (they don't run every 1st and 2nd down and then pass every 3rd down).  They distribute the ball around to all of the receivers.  I think it's great.  The execution may be off sometimes.  But, I don't think we need a new play caller.  I'm entertained by our offense.

Now, that being said.  Some changes that I'd probably suggest -- don't rotate running backs so much, allow someone to get in a rythm (I kinda like what I've seen out of Taylor).  Also, stop having Grothe run up the middle.  Sometimes he can break free, but that play seemed to have gotten stuffed a lot this year.

Anyway, my point of this post is that I don't really mind our offense.   I may be alone with these thoughts, but I just wanted to state them.

dont take the criticism to heart

we don't have the overall talent of an elite team like Florida.

when a team lacks the talent--- which translates into a decreased ability to "execute"--- they lose the ability to be predictable and still be succesful.

that's why teams that are underdogs in the talent department often throw wrinkles and trick plays into their gameplanning.

also, teams like Florida often have 2 or 3 [or more] plays that they run out of each formation, so when you see the 'Turds line up with 4 wide and Teblow and Harvin in the backfield, you don't know if they're going to pass, hand it off to Harvin, run it with Teblow or play action it.

when USF lines up with 4-wide and Grothe and one of our backs in the backfield, it's obvious what the play is going to be depending on the down and the yardage and the back that's in with him.

that's one of the problems with not having a feature back---  when Ford was in, it was a pretty good indication he would be running it.  when BBQ was in, teams knew it would either be a pass, or a read option hand-off that is easily stopped because BBQ simply didn't have the moves to shake tacklers and break out a run.

comparing us to Bama, Penn State or Florida is absurd because we simply aren't as talented, and our coaches simply aren't as good as Saban, JoePa or Meyer.

WE DONT HAVE THE TALENT OF A RUTGERS,CINNCI,OR PITT

AND THERE IN LIES THE PROBLEM

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

It's only so many plays you can call for a running QB that's limited in the passing game. You call too many pass plays, you get in trouble. Then you don't have the hogs to use the running backs properly. So what can you do? But make Grothe your first, second, and third option. And your not going to beat good teams that way. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,651
  • Days Won:  29

I get a chuckle when people claim to "predict" plays ...  ::)

Would bbe happy to sit next to anyone and bet them a dollar a play, are we're not talking about run here, pass there ...

It's all about execution 9 times outta 10.

Our O-Line was thin and injured, Injured RB's and no play makers at the WR position.

Focal point is Grothe, a very good passer & runner. Nearly 400 passes and 63% is pretty good. Too many INT's and has some very bad throws(that WVU game, aaahhhhhhh) - he's not perfect or a "great" QB.

From reading some posts over the year, I know much more than some that bash our play calling. I have questioned some play calling, but know enough that I am not qualified to actually critique.

. . . just get a kick outta all the OC's we have on this board outta work.

;D

Reminder ... EXECUTION !

Go BULLS !!!

I get a chuckle when people claim to "predict" plays ...  ::)

Would bbe happy to sit next to anyone and bet them a dollar a play, are we're not talking about run here, pass there ...

It's all about execution 9 times outta 10.

Our O-Line was thin and injured, Injured RB's and no play makers at the WR position.

Focal point is Grothe, a very good passer & runner. Nearly 400 passes and 63% is pretty good. Too many INT's and has some very bad throws(that WVU game, aaahhhhhhh) - he's not perfect or a "great" QB.

From reading some posts over the year, I know much more than some that bash our play calling. I have questioned some play calling, but know enough that I am not qualified to actually critique.

. . . just get a kick outta all the OC's we have on this board outta work.

;D

Reminder ... EXECUTION !

Go BULLS !!!

execute all of them

we will be thin on Oline next year also

we will have injuries next year also

we dont play all ourt games on saturday night

we will only be 13 years old next year

THOSE ARE THE TOP 4 EXCUSES FOR USF'S FAILURE IN 2009

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,651
  • Days Won:  29

Thanx for giving up on this team by knowing nearly nothing about it . . .

Just glad USF is getting more True Fans each year and we'll out number alums like you . . .

:nutkick

Archived