• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sorry, I'm looking forward to the spring game.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

.... Pat Julmiste lose his job off injury. I do believe B.J. can thow 3-4 TD's in the spring game, Grothe will still start.

PJ lost his job to injury ? Seriously ...

PJ was going to play only the first half of game one ... known. Obviously Grothe has a good camp and FR season, although not until the bowl practice.

Leavitt HANDED the starting QB job to a FR when PJ was a Jr during the spring ... the better QB won the job. As happened when PJ was a Sr and will happen for the 2009 season.

How did a FR Kicker get the job ?

How do we get FR WR's playing ?

Look at the depth chart and educate yourself with reality.

Go BULLS !!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I will agree that Grothe is an average QB. However, he is 85% of our offense, that makes him more than a QB. Daniels could come in and throw only 5 picks, and lose every game next year. Grothe does so much for this team that it is going to be hard to replace him whenever he isn't our QB any more. Grothe has a lot of room for improvement, but at this point, I feel like he is going to give us a chance to win every game. When we were driving in the fourth quarter the other day, I had faith that he would pull it out for us. He didn't, oh well, he didn't get any help either, and that's something that no one gives him credit for.

I would love to see what Grothe would do with a good offensive coordinator that doesn't continually put him in bad situations, and force him to try and make plays that aren't his strengths. That throw over the middle has been picked a ridiculous amount of times. I have an idea, find another friggin' play on that one sheet "playbook" you got there.

I'm sorry, but I think that a lot of the reason that Grothe hasn't progressed as people feel like he should can be attributed to Greg Gregory (and the rest of the offensive staff). Grothe needs to get some help from somewhere. I have said it before, and I'll say it again. When you have a senior stud receiver, he needs to step up. TJ was huge in wins over UCF and KU. Since then, he has pretty much been invisible. I don't think that's entirely Grothe's fault. Also, how many false starts can one receiver get? I am not pinning it all on TJ by any means, but he should have been the one to step up and carry the load this year. Again, could be attributed to offensive staff.

Just my  :2cents

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

There will be no starting QB battle between Grothe and Daniels...Leavitt will not replace Grothe. Maybe Jimbo should take a gander up to Columbus and check out how well Pryor is working out for OSU....

Someone else made a good point by saying that outright benching Grothe would be a bad PR move for USF considering how much we've marketed him and the fact that he has several billboards around the greater tampa area. I tend to agree with that even though its pretty apparent that Grothe has peaked. He has not made a single improvement in his game play since his outstanding freshman debut. I use the word outstanding in relative terms, because those numbers were great for a freshman, not for a 4th year junior.

Also about those people saying that Jim Leavitt is loyal to seniors, Pat Julmiste won over the job from senior Ronnie Banks and Grothe won the job from senior Pat Julmiste. Maikon Bonani won the starting job after Delbert Alvarado clearly was struggling. I think we'll have a full blown QB controversy next spring.....With that said, I think BJ will probably be used in a '06 Tebow kind of way except BJ will probably be allowed to pass more to utilize his strong arm

I thought Julmiste was the starter (regardless of what that dill-hole Brett McMurphy made up in his crack reporting) until he got hurt in that first game. 

Grothe is better than Julmiste, but that's not saying much.  I'm looking forward to someone, anyone pushing Matt for the starting QB job. 

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I will agree that Grothe is an average QB. However, he is 85% of our offense, that makes him more than a QB. Daniels could come in and throw only 5 picks, and lose every game next year. Grothe does so much for this team that it is going to be hard to replace him whenever he isn't our QB any more. Grothe has a lot of room for improvement, but at this point, I feel like he is going to give us a chance to win every game. When we were driving in the fourth quarter the other day, I had faith that he would pull it out for us. He didn't, oh well, he didn't get any help either, and that's something that no one gives him credit for.

I would love to see what Grothe would do with a good offensive coordinator that doesn't continually put him in bad situations, and force him to try and make plays that aren't his strengths. That throw over the middle has been picked a ridiculous amount of times. I have an idea, find another friggin' play on that one sheet "playbook" you got there.

I'm sorry, but I think that a lot of the reason that Grothe hasn't progressed as people feel like he should can be attributed to Greg Gregory (and the rest of the offensive staff). Grothe needs to get some help from somewhere. I have said it before, and I'll say it again. When you have a senior stud receiver, he needs to step up. TJ was huge in wins over UCF and KU. Since then, he has pretty much been invisible. I don't think that's entirely Grothe's fault. Also, how many false starts can one receiver get? I am not pinning it all on TJ by any means, but he should have been the one to step up and carry the load this year. Again, could be attributed to offensive staff.

I agree with what your saying about the coordinator and position coaching but just because they called that play with the INT doesn't mean Grothe has to throw that ball in the worst spot possible.  That throw is on him as are the wide open deep balls that were over thrown.   

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I agree with what your saying about the coordinator and position coaching but just because they called that play with the INT doesn't mean Grothe has to throw that ball in the worst spot possible.  That throw is on him as are the wide open deep balls that were over thrown.   

I agree, but, as a coach, if your player tends to make the same mistake repeatedly on a certain play, why call that play? If for instance, your center in basketball can't shoot a 3 to save his life, would you draw up a play to get him open for a 3? Same thing, if that's the play, Ajayi is going to throw it up, but he's probably going to miss. I like that Grothe has confidence in himself to make the play, but there are so many other things he is better at, and GG needs to play to his strengths.

The deep balls were bad. Again, it's not something Grothe is particularly great at. Also, the field was probably pretty **** slow with ice and snow on it. I am not fully sold that Grothe overthrew those so bad. It quite possibly could have been that the receivers were slower than they practice. Either way, he needs to adjust, put some air under it, and let them go get it. Not good throws, but if he connects 1 of 4 at home in good conditions, it's not really a bad day.

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

Staring down your primary receiver and over or under throwing your wide receivers is not the offensive staff's doing!

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Staring down your primary receiver and over or under throwing your wide receivers is not the offensive staff's doing!

You are 100% correct.

• Content Count:  5,241

Julmiste played awful against mcneese state, Grothe got put in, and the rest is history.

I never compared Julmiste to Daniels. But Grothe needs some coaching and catching to happen

• Content Count:  1,894

.... Pat Julmiste lose his job off injury. I do believe B.J. can thow 3-4 TD's in the spring game, Grothe will still start.

PJ lost his job to injury ? Seriously ...

PJ was going to play only the first half of game one ... known. Obviously Grothe has a good camp and FR season, although not until the bowl practice.

Leavitt HANDED the starting QB job to a FR when PJ was a Jr during the spring ... the better QB won the job. As happened when PJ was a Sr and will happen for the 2009 season.

How did a FR Kicker get the job ?

How do we get FR WR's playing ?

Look at the depth chart and educate yourself with reality.

Go BULLS !!!

Lol, PJ was on a short leash, but still got the start, if Grothe had the good camp it didnt mean anything because CJL was loyal and started the senior. I beleive we were at the game and there was some boo'ing going on.

Freshman wr's playing? Who else is there to start? TJ,Edwards...If there were more upperclassmen good enough I'm sure they would have started. Wr got loaded up that year with young guys. We needed them to play.

How did the kicker get the job? Finally someone better came along due to recruiting. Alverado would have stayed at his position if it wasn't for the outcrry from surrounding people. Let's be serious. Look how long it took for him to make the switch. CJL was happy with Delbert.

Why is Edwards returning punts all season when we have Bogan,Mitchell,TJ,Murhpy,Jamar Taylor,AJ Love,Hester..the list goes on of people capable of being a return guy.

Tyler roberts should have been completely benched this year after his mistakes.

Ben Williams the starting day back

Loyalty is good sometimes but the best players need to be on the field, and if someone is hurting our team on the field it needs to change.

Grothe does need some coaching to happen your right but that doesn't change his lack of throwing ability and his accuracy. Our wr's work so hard to catch his passes that are in traffic,behind,below,up, and all over the place they can never get yards after the catch. Coaching might only help his ability to throw the ball away.

Archived