• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sorry, I'm looking forward to the spring game.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

The battle between Grothe and B.J. Daniels will be more intriguing then the bowl match up in St. Pete. Oh what Jim will do.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

There will be no starting QB battle between Grothe and Daniels...Leavitt will not replace Grothe. Maybe Jimbo should take a gander up to Columbus and check out how well Pryor is working out for OSU....

• Content Count:  849
  • Days Won:  0

There will be no starting QB battle between Grothe and Daniels...Leavitt will not replace Grothe. Maybe Jimbo should take a gander up to Columbus and check out how well Pryor is working out for OSU....

Someone else made a good point by saying that outright benching Grothe would be a bad PR move for USF considering how much we've marketed him and the fact that he has several billboards around the greater tampa area. I tend to agree with that even though its pretty apparent that Grothe has peaked. He has not made a single improvement in his game play since his outstanding freshman debut. I use the word outstanding in relative terms, because those numbers were great for a freshman, not for a 4th year junior.

Also about those people saying that Jim Leavitt is loyal to seniors, Pat Julmiste won over the job from senior Ronnie Banks and Grothe won the job from senior Pat Julmiste. Maikon Bonani won the starting job after Delbert Alvarado clearly was struggling. I think we'll have a full blown QB controversy next spring.....With that said, I think BJ will probably be used in a '06 Tebow kind of way except BJ will probably be allowed to pass more to utilize his strong arm

• Content Count:  637

I find it hard to believe Grothe will be benched even if BJ shows himself as "better" this spring (which I don't think he is better).

Leavitt is very loyal to Grothe and Grothe is the face of the team, especially when/if Selvie goes to the NFL. It definitely would be terrible PR for Grothe to be benched.

Leavitt and the PR should just indicate to Grothe haters just to get ready for him to be back next year, fair or not.

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

I find it hard to believe Grothe will be benched even if BJ shows himself as "better" this spring (which I don't think he is better).

Leavitt is very loyal to Grothe and Grothe is the face of the team, especially when/if Selvie goes to the NFL. It definitely would be terrible PR for Grothe to be benched.

Leavitt and the PR should just indicate to Grothe haters just to get ready for him to be back next year, fair or not.

I for one could careless about PR. This is football, win games or sit down on the bench. Grothe has shown he isn't our QB to take us to the next level. If BJ is better in spring, let him start. BJ can't possibly be worse than Grothe's 14 INT's a year average, even after 3 years.

• Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

The battle between Grothe and B.J. Daniels will be more intriguing then the bowl match up in St. Pete. Oh what Jim will do.

Umm... our spring games are usually pretty bad.

(...and there will be NO "battle" at QB. If you think Matt isn't going to be the QB next year, you're insane.)

• Content Count:  637

BJ can't possibly be worse than Grothe's 14 INT's a year average, even after 3 years.

I disagree. Don't just sit there assuming BJ will be better than  Grothe. You have no, or very little, basis for that.

BJ could easily be worse than Grothe, then what will people moan about? Man, people have turned on Grothe quick. He and Marquel are our best QBs ever, but BJ somehow is a shoe-in to be better or "no worse" than them. Completely asinine.

You people have heard of the phrase "the grass is greener on the other side" right? Try being logical, BJ looks good, but is in no way obviously "no worse" than Grothe. For instance, what if his rocket arm is analogous to Hunter Cantwell (i.e. has no ability to put finesse on the ball). What if that fumble vs. UTM was a sign of things to come? Freaking A, I hope BJ is better than Grothe, but to assume it is just ridiculous.

• Content Count:  2,478

We need to work BJ Daniels into our offense like Ohio State worked in Tyrelle Pryor this season. That will make his starting year so much smoother.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

In order of anxious FootBULL dates ...

Bowl Game

Signing Day

Spring Game

I heard this talk back in the Julmiste days about Leavitt not wanting to sit a SR QB ... yet a FR was handed the job in the Spring of his JR year then a FR won it on opening day when he was a SR.

The better QB will be playing in 2009. Do hope we hammer Wofford (a 1AA playoff team  ;) ) so we can see LOTS of Daniels.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

if there isnt an upgrade in talent and/or coaching you  can forget improvement in records

Archived