• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sorry, I'm looking forward to the spring game.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  637
  • Days Won:  0

How can he do worse than grothe honestly??????? It isnt hard to do as good or better then a mediocre qb.

Yeah it can be way worse than Grothe, but by the same token it can also be a lot better. 

This basically summarized my sentiments.

Personally, I think, and am hopeful that, BJ could do much better. At the same time BJ COULD DO MUCH WORSE.

Nobody, regardless of how highly recruited, is ever guaranteed to be better than a proven "decent" QB like Grothe.

Just because Cantwell was (apparently?) a walk-on doesn't mean he wasn't getting similar tout as BJ is by fans and fellow players (a rocket arm, was immediately claimed to be the #2 QB in the conference AHEAD of Grothe before he even took a single real snap).

I don't even care necessarily about the people that "hate" on Grothe, I just get annoyed by the asinine people that fully expect BJ to do better purely because of things they've HEARD second hand and not really ever seen. Be hopeful, don't say he could possibly do no worse.

EDIT: I really mangled the quotes, lol

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,894

I wish I got look at Grothe in the same light you do, but honestly..what has grothe proven? He can win games so called big games but not little games, proved he can evade a sack..but takes horrible sacks in the pocket at the end of games..proven he can throw on the run...then throws a pick that gives the other team the lead. Your words, hes a proven, decent qb...

Excuse me for thinking Daniels could do no worse then a decent qb. It is not outreagous to think he can do no worse. With the amount we throw he would have similar passing numbers...he can run so we could assume similar rushing numbers...he would have to try real hard to aim for the other team to match his interception numbers, and the amount of wr's he missed he coould throw more td's than grothe. It wouldnt be hard to do any worse then Grothe has done. We can look at this as just qb performance as well, because sometimes qb's do well and can still lose a game. Unfortunately if Matt grothe doesn't do well, we lose games.

Excuse me for thinking Daniels could do no worse then a decent qb.

This is essentially the difference we have.

We both want Daniels starting over Grothe (or whomever is the best man for the job) we just differ on semantics. Namely, that Daniels can do "no worse" than Grothe.

I've seen enough from this organization, and others, to be able to logically note that just because a recruit is highly regarded it won't make them guaranteed good.

We both aspire for Daniels > Grothe, we'll see how that all unfolds. I'm just not going to take it for granted that BJ will succeed though, I will however hope for the best. There's a significant difference between hoping a player is better, and a player being better.

Peace.

• Content Count:  760

Did some really forget that the only reason Grothe was put in the game was because Pat went down with a minor injury. Then we won that game, and barely squeeked out FIU, and Grothe kept the job. Pat probably keeps the job if he doesnt go down.

Also, why looking forward to the spring game. They are never exciting. All I ever remember if going in drunk and leaving feeling like I've been there for 6 or 7 hrs and wondering why the hell cant anyone score! Then you have to wait months before football is back. Not fun.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Did some really forget that the only reason Grothe was put in the game was because Pat went down with a minor injury. Then we won that game, and barely squeeked out FIU, and Grothe kept the job. Pat probably keeps the job if he doesnt go down.

Apparently some forgot that Matt was going to play against McNeese State no matter what and everything would have played out the same whether PJ went down or not...

You people that think Leavitt plays seniors just because they're seniors and not because he thinks they give us the best chance to win are freaking nuts ...

• Content Count:  4,738

Apparently some forgot that Matt was going to play against McNeese State no matter what and everything would have played out the same whether PJ went down or not...

You people that think Leavitt plays seniors just because they're seniors and not because he thinks they give us the best chance to win are freaking nuts ...

does Ben Williams give us the best chance to win?

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

There will be no starting QB battle between Grothe and Daniels...Leavitt will not replace Grothe.

I agree with this... its Grothe's last year and currently like him / it or not he is the best QB in the short history of our young program. He will play every down (except for blow outs / injuries) and Daniels will get very little game time.

However I will agree with the original poster about the Spring game, it will be exciting to see Grothe and Daniels face off, but it will not be a QB battle.

:2cents

Ford and Taylor are obviously more talented. However, the fumble on the 5 demonstrates exactly why they play Ben.

Ford/Taylor are lacking fundamentals...for whatever reason. Taylor seems better in that regard though. I'm excited that Ben won't be here next year, I admire his work and consistency, but I'd like to see Taylor/Ford get consistent touches.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Just as good a chance as any other rb we have ..... maybe better when you factor in blocking and ball security.

• Content Count:  1,894

your right grothe woulda played no matter what, except if Pat came out and got us a secure lead and played well. Fact is, CJL gave the job to Julmiste to lose, and after the performance in the bowl game he shouldn't have snifed the field.

Archived