• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Edrington: Leavitt leaving USF? It's not going to happen...here's why

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.examiner.com/x-873-South-Florida-Bulls-Examiner~y2008m11d6-Leavitt-leaving-USF--Its-not-going-to-happenheres-why

Leavitt leaving USF? It's not going to happen...here's why   November 6, 12:04 PM

by Tom Edrington, South Florida Bulls Examiner

Fact: Ron Prince is out at Kansas State as head football coach after this season.

Rumor: USF Coach Jim Leavitt could be a candidate at K-State.

Fact: Leavitt's NOT leaving USF...here's why:

1. Four REAL GOOD reasons: Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Nebraska.

2. Recruiting: Good luck recruiting against the four REAL GOOD reasons.

3. Leavitt has had enough trouble with Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati and UConn, so why take on the four REAL GOOD reasons?

4. Ego.  Leavitt's baby, USF, is now a pesky, underachieving adolescent that still HAS NOT won the Big East.

5. Declining Leavitt stock.  If Leavitt was a stock on the NYSE, he would have fallen from a high of 100 last year to a low of 25 today.

Finally this: IF Leavitt were to leave, sentiment is that USF would politely thank him and immediately place a call to Gator defensive coach Dan McCarney.  Leavitt lucked out last year and hired McCarney as his defensive line coach.  Florida coach Urban Meyer saw the results and promptly made him the Gators' defensive line coach.  See any improvement this year at Florida?  See any decline at USF?  How about all those 100-yard rushers that have had success against the Bulls this year?

And finally, ask the former sackmaster George Selvie -- and that's emphatically FORMER -- if he misses Dan McCarney.

All these factors AND the simple situation is that Leavitt has been out of the K-State, Big XII loop too long.

Oh, and yes.  How about those wonderful winters in Manhattan, Kansas?

• Content Count:  720

WOW! Now that there is some ballsy reporting.....lol I can't really say that I don't agree with it. Although I don't think that Leavitt's stock has drppped that much.

How fast do you think McCarney would be all over the HC job at USF??

• Content Count:  4,642

good article. blunt and to the point.  that's how it should be.

• Content Count:  4,016

The guy was going somewhere with 1-2 but after that he sounds silly, and ridiculous.  I mean where was he going with this quote, "pesky, underachieving adolescent."  Leavitt is pesky, and some sheepishly ignorant fans or observers may believe he's underachieving, he is subtly lately, but 'adolescent'?  Wow, not cool.

Clearly his asinine assumption of our DL and Selvie's production is ignorant, and ill-informed.  There are far more residual reasons for the slide of production then McCarney.  Injuries to be specific, and incessant double and triple teams, a cherry and young interior DL...etc.

I don't know that I would be doing back-flips over McCarney.  I would rather keep Leavitt and double down on a better offensive coordinator.  Leavitt is improving the talent and skill at USF still, get quality assistants and I think we'll see a far more heightened level of play on the offensive side of the ball.

• Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

Maybe adolescent as in 12 years old.

Don't know that I agree with 75%, but without question MUCH LESS.

DL is playing about as bad as last year, without the Selvie hype.

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

And Mccarney would be on to greener pastures the second a better gig came along if he were to come here.  Thus would begin the revolving door a-la our basketball program. 

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Maybe adolescent as in 12 years old.

Don't know that I agree with 75%, but without question MUCH LESS.

DL is playing about as bad as last year, without the Selvie hype.

last year we were a top 5 team in tackles for loss/sacks and Selvie almost broke the individual season record.

this year we rank 52 TFLs and 62 in sacks.

I'd be willing to bet we lead the NCAA in defensive offsides penalties this year as well.

As far as the run defense last year, you might want to take into consideration the fact that we faced 4 NFL RBs in Slaton, Rice, Stewart and Smith.

• Content Count:  183

And Mccarney would be on to greener pastures the second a better gig came along if he were to come here.  Thus would begin the revolving door a-la our basketball program. 

He was the head coach at Iowa State for 11 years--I think once he's a head coach again that he'd be satisfied for a while.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I don't think he would move on but that's not always a bad thing. successful programs have coaches leave all the time.

Miami won 5 NC with 4 different coaches because they were successful.

I''d rather have their young OC Mullen anyway.

Who cares if we become a springboard job. I'd rather coaches get hired away due to success than to stagnate here due to mediocrity like Greenburg.

Archived