• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Please beat Rutgers so I don't have to read more of this crap

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  975
  • Days Won:  1

South Florida's loss opens a potential door

by Brendan Prunty/The Star-Ledger Friday October 31, 2008, 12:22 PM

Al Behrman/Associated Press

South Florida QB Matt Grothe's head is in the direction that his Bulls' season is heading ... down.What looks like impending trouble for South Florida, could signal an opening for a once-dead Rutgers team.

How, you ask? Well after the Bulls stumbled for the second-straight week as a ranked team to an unranked opponent (and the third time that's happened this year), South Florida is in full-fledged free fall mode. They are now 6-3 overall and an astounding 1-3 in the conference. They lost to a guy last night, in Cincinnati QB Tony Pike who still has a broken arm.

Let me repeat that: They got beat by a guy with a broken arm. (Non-throwing arm of course, but that's really just splitting hairs.)

Jim Leavitt's team began last season 6-0 and came into Piscataway ranked second in the nation, but that loss to Rutgers on Oct. 18, began a limp home of 3-3 down to finish the regular season and then they promptly lost their bowl game to Oregon by 35 points.

This is good for Rutgers because should the Scarlet Knights beat Syracuse next weekend, it sets up a showdown in Tampa on Nov. 15 that could greatly enhance Rutgers' bowl chances.

Look, if you're the committee of any one of the Big East tie-in bowls (Gator, International, Meineke Car Care, Sun, PapaJohns.com and St. Petersburg) and you had a choice between a Rutgers team that say, finishes at 7-5 or a South Florida team that would likely be 7-5 ... who would you choose?

Rutgers with:

-#1 media market

-Three straight bowl appearances, back-to-back wins

-Could be the easy "feel-good/comeback" story

or

South Florida with:

-#28 media market

-Three straight bowl appearances, one win two years ago

-A second-straight season with heightened expectations, but diminished results

I think the choice is pretty clear if you're on a bowl committee. Rutgers' date with South Florida in two weeks might be its biggest game of the season.

• Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

Rutgers with:

-#1 media market

-Three straight bowl appearances, back-to-back wins

-Could be the easy "feel-good/comeback" story

SEE ALSO: Marshall University, entrance to Conference USA, reasons given for, 2001.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Rutgers sucks.

• Content Count:  21,142
  • Days Won:  39

Hopefully we can actually beat Rutgers.  This team has imploded.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Rutgers' date with South Florida in two weeks might be its biggest game of the season.

our game has been "the biggest game of the season" for practically everybody we've played.

i expect nothing less than Rutgers' best shot at us, just like i expected nothing less than Pitt, Louisville and Cinci's best shot at us.

what i didn't expect against the latter three, however, was that their best would be good enough to beat us, but unfortunately WE forgot to bring our best, and a bad team on a good night can and will beat a good team on a bad night...  and the jury is still out if we're even a good team.

that said, i expect the two weeks between today and the 15th to be spent soul-searching by the coaches and players.

i think the undercurrent of dissatisfaction with Gregory has reached monsoon status and has finally started boiling over and percolating into the local media discourse.  he needs to start calling games like his job depends on it [and it should]. 

CJL needs to start buckling the f**k down on his coaches AND his players:  no more players yelling at coaches from the bench, no more yelling at other players, and for cripessake tuck in your gotdamn jerseys.

the players need to decide who wants it bad enough.  talent isn't everything, and clearly the talent we have isn't winning us games.  any player on our team that isn't vested heart and soul into USF for the 60 minutes the team's on the field, BENCH 'EM and put in someone that has heart and is hungry to play.  an average player with a lot of heart is more important to this team now than a talented player with an average heart.

this team needs to look inside itself from the coaches on down. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

Rutgers will destroy us!

You've been right 3 times this year so far.

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Rutgers will destroy us!

Shut the **** up!  and i say that in the most kind way possible.

• Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

Rutgers will destroy us!

Shut the **** up!  and i say that in the most kind way possible.

Rutgers will destroy us....but "Posters who don't understand running jokes on the board" will REALLY destroy us!!!!  :D

Archived