• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Calling for JL's head?-Your Thoughts??

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

Defense too fast: Mis-direction, and if you can execute it , it is a handy tool.

As for "bring me the head of CJL" ,  this is typical fan-speak.  And to say that you've been disappointed in CJL coaching for the past x-amount of time, that pretty much means you've been disappointed with winning.  We all love the coach when we win, hate the coach when we lose.

As for 'taking the Bulls to the next level' ... exactly what would that be? Do you think we were a UM/UF/FSU that just got shunned because we were in CUSA? Un uh...for years we were a IA team masquerading as a IAA team. Then we start playing teams of our caliber and things shake out the way they should.  This is a down year, the first of many (as every team has) so condiser this a good practice run for how you deal with it.

Like it or not, you have to build your offensive scheme around the guys you have. You can't mold some kid into what he is not. Neither PJ/RB have the abililty of MB to make chicken soup from chicken ****.  Go another route. Build your offense around what they can do...and if 'it' isn't  up to snuff with the competition, oh well...those are the cards you're dealt.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,386
  • Days Won:  0

Fire Mike Hobbie!  Mike Hobbie couldn't respond to the adjustments Army made at halftime.  I remain convinced that he should be fired -- heck, I may call for him to be taken outside, shot, dragged around campus, and posted on a stake as a warning for future offensive coordinators who don't seem to understand what is happening on the field.

Ok, I'm starting to agree with you guys on this.

Our defense is too fast.  There were many times where they overpursued, allowing the RB to cut back against the grain.  Or defenders got past the blockers, then when the RB cut back, the blockers were behind them.  Because of this, our defense couldn't seem to stop anyone -- never mind that Army has one of the best rushing offenses in the nation.

You can never have too much speed. It's like saying I have too much money. Never happens. BUT, you can be too aggressive and not cover your responsibilies. It falls on the coaches to teach the players to attack the ball, but not recklessly.

That would be on the coaches.  I watched our corner (#42) take an INSIDE move on a screen.  This isnt a DT.  It's a corner.  You cant do that, he had no outside help and he shouldn't have expected it.  That's a major defensive mistake.

What's up with manning up on the recievers so much?  We couldnt get to the QB, so wouldn't it be better to put another guy back there for this?

Here is what Coach Leavitt had to say about coverage.

``We had eight guys in the box; you can't get any more than that or you won't be able to cover a receiver,'' Leavitt said. ``Our guys have to make plays.''

I still can't believe that!  :o

Eight men in the box and the Bulls D STILL let Carlton Jones run for 207 yards in the second half!! :o :o The previous record for rushing yards vs USF in a game was 210!!! :o :o :o #30 Jones had a record 225 yards rushing for the game and a record 5 TD's.

This definitely has to be a wakeup call to the players, the coaches and us fans.

Kizarvexis

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  551
  • Days Won:  1

My only problem with Leavitt is he doesnt seem to learn from his own mistakes.  Throwing away potentially crucial timeouts.  Having Julmiste run the ball so much on a bum knee, sure he put up some good yards, but a very dangerous gamble.  The whole offensive scheme hasnt worked for some time now, and it has been obvious, and with our best recruiting class coming in this year, and a lot of them starting, what better a time in this past off season to start working on a new offense, but no, he is too stubborn and wants to stick with what worked for Blackwell.  Blackwell is gone CJL, and he is not coming back, move on.  And everyone seems to agree the Coordinators have to go and its all thier fault.

Well if that is true, then it is CJL's fault for NOT getting rid of them, it still comes back to him.  

Alot of the playcalling is very questionable.  Does CJL allow O Coordinator to call plays or does he?  Either way, they consistantly make stupid moves.  I am by no means a football expert or as knowledgeable as these guys are supposed to be, but if something is obvious to me why isnt it obvious to the coaching staff?

For example, first and goal on the 2, and you give the ball to Julmiste to run the option?  Stupid playcall.

First let me say I'm not bashing to be popular, but I heard last night from the guy sitting behind me (has a connection with a coach) that Leavitt is butting heads with the new AD.  The AD is getting involved with the football team and not kissing up to Leavitt like Leroy did in the past.  This is making Leavitt mad, and get this, threatening to leave.  If anyone can verify this, please post.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

...but I heard last night from the guy sitting behind me (has a connection with a coach)  that Leavitt is butting heads with the new AD.  ...  If anyone can verify this, please post.

You wouldn't mind posting "the guy"'s name on here, would you? "Connection with a coach" could be either the equipment managers room-mate or it could be the AD's secretray. No one wants to be the Dan Rather of South Florida, now do they? ....  ;)

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  1,235

I can't believe anybody is seriously calling for CJL's job... un-fricken-believable to me. 7 years in-between losing seasons is acceptable to me at this point. That doesn't mean I like it, but I understand where we are as a program and the hiccups that will come with that.

Coaching had nothing to do with the Peyton dropped td pass, Julmiste goal line int, and Gramatica missed FG away. Peyton is skilled enough that he should never drop a wide open pass. Every college QB should be able to complete a 5 yard pass to an open WR. And a 38 yarder should be a gimme kick for Santiago. No amount of coaching is going to fix these problems. You just have to hope Peyton will get better as he matures, that we get a capable QB in here next year, and that Gramatica will rebound.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

Leavitt has done a great job with this program and we can attribute our success to him. I am disappointed though that after the offensive debacle last year that he didn't make the hard decision to go after a better quality OC....and probably several offensive coaches need upgrading. To give him the benefit of the doubt maybe the cash necessary to bring in better coaching wasn't there. I think it is obvious that the coaching staff is letting these kids down, I mean we have the talent but are the coaches able to hone these talents and give them the tools they need to become successful on the field? I keep hearing......it's not the coaches that make the plays but it IS the coaching that is suppose to prepare these kids and after two years (I might argue that it is even longer back but MB masked alot of it) of this type of offensive problems I think it is a valid question to ask if the coaches are out of there league. I also don't think it is only the addition of Hall that is making our running game better but that we have a true 1-A quality coach at that position. And the offensive plays.....geeesh, they are about the quality as kids playing in a park sketching them in the huddle with a stick in the dirt. Has Hobbie ever even heard of play action or bootlegs? just plain aweful!

So  as an answer, no it isn't time to call for Leavitt's head but it is time to call for him to make the hard choices necessary and upgrade those around him and if he is unable to do that then I don't see how he will be able to progress.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Fellas... Fellas... Fellas...

Now, here is what I see to be our problems from this game:

Fire Mike Hobbie!  Mike Hobbie couldn't respond to the adjustments Army made at halftime.  I remain convinced that he should be fired -- heck, I may call for him to be taken outside, shot, dragged around campus, and posted on a stake as a warning for future offensive coordinators who don't seem to understand what is happening on the field.

[

I may call for him to be taken outside, shot, dragged around campus, and posted on a stake as a warning for future offensive coordinators who don't seem to understand what is happening on the field.

So...how do you really feel about that Coach??

Wow!

KL

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

It seems clear that some of the revenue should be going to hiring better coordinators and assistants.

'nuff said.

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  468

My only problem with Leavitt is he doesnt seem to learn from his own mistakes.

I've been dealing with this from Butch Davis & the Browns, and don't want to start dealing with it from my alma mater coach too.

I've thought & thought about this at the NFL level, and came to the conclusion that it's really bizzare that fans seem to see things that coaches don't see.

Which lead me to some conclusions:

1. They snowed people along the way somewhere because they were always only as good as the coordinators backing them up.

2.  They are simply working with players they have - which aren't as good as the fans thought. But, leads to an entirely different set of problems.

3. They are too stubborn to admit fault in areas - and dead-set on proving everyone wrong - even at the risk of losing games.

4. Or, any combination above.

With JL, I say he get's this year, and next in the Big East to prove himself before we start asking for his head.

Just my opinion.

• Topic Count:  149
  • Content Count:  818

It's only one game, we'll have to see how this season plays out.

It's been more than one game.  Leavitt has been on the ropes since signing his contract.  He basically got his pay day and said the hell with it.  He let it all go to his head or stoped trying since he didn't need to do anything to get paid.

Maybe Kruzek would be interested in taking over.  Wouldn't that be something?  We could get Kruzek for $80K a year and beat the Knats next year with their million dollar man!