• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is Leavitt the one to win us a National Championship?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Not until he gets rid of Gregory and brings in a top-flight Offensive Coordinator.

You guys are ridiculous. Grant Gregory didn't make Grothe throw the ball directly to a UCF defender twice! Those 2 picks led directly to 2 UCF TDs.  Gregory didn't make the WR's drop passes. We rolled 500+ yards of total offense for the second consecutive week despite not having our top 2 RBs. USF had their most prolific offense in school history last season and is already been lighting up the stats this year as well. Do you also think that maybe just maybe the playbook was maybe half open considering that oh-I-don't-know the #11th ranked team (Coach's poll) in the country is coming to our house this Friday before an exclusively national audience (All eyes will be on us). Just maybe we only wanted to give them the bare minimum of film to gameplan for us. Also UCF played their best game ever against us while we just went through the motions and we still beat them.

Bottom line is that the players did not execute on special teams, why don't you get mad at Houston Hess,Kenneth Luberice or Cha Cha Sinclair (just using an example, not singling these guys out) for not making sound tackles against Joe Burnett because he was the only reason they were in that game.

There are a lot of short-sighted posts on this message board.

I think the people here are questioning the play call of a pass when many believe we should have been using up the clock and making UCiF burn timeouts.  The interception obviously wasn't Gregory's fault.  But even an incomplete pass there was a bad play considering the clock situation.

The issue is that if you're going to pass, or even let Grothe run on a second down play, you need to AT LEAST keep a RB in the back field to block since you know that UCF has one shot to get back in the game, and that is to force a turnover, or make a couple of big stops. He had to know they were going to bring the house.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  266
  • Days Won:  1

I'm not trying to start a pessimistic post, and I'm not discounting what he's done for the program in a little over a decade.

As an example, Tony Dungy built a great team in the Bucs, but couldn't win the big one. Gruden came in with Dungy's team and won it all. I just question Leavitt's consistently questionable play calling and his tendency to stick with the more tenured players over ones that may be better (see Delbert Alvarado over Bonani).

I would love to see Leavitt bring us the NC, but I just don't see it happening. The Big East title, yes, probably this year because the rest of the conference is incredibly weak.

People said the same thing about Tressel, Holtz, Myer, Schembechler, Spurrier....

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

yes

• Content Count:  936

Not until he gets rid of Gregory and brings in a top-flight Offensive Coordinator.

My thoughts exactly. Very anti-Gregory, at least in our house.

• Content Count:  2,511

There are no Special Teams coaches in the NCAA because of restriction on the number of coaches.  It is a dual duty job, and Leavitt handles that duty for USF.

Maybe CJL should take lessons from VT's Frank Beamer?

Stop saying that USF needs to bring in a top flight Special Teams coach, because 99.99999% of college programs do not have one.  Get with the program.

• Content Count:  10,219

You guys are ridiculous. Grant Gregory didn't make Grothe throw the ball directly to a UCF defender twice! Those 2 picks led directly to 2 UCF TDs.  Gregory didn't make the WR's drop passes. We rolled 500+ yards of total offense for the second consecutive week despite not having our top 2 RBs. USF had their most prolific offense in school history last season and is already been lighting up the stats this year as well. Do you also think that maybe just maybe the playbook was maybe half open considering that oh-I-don't-know the #11th ranked team (Coach's poll) in the country is coming to our house this Friday before an exclusively national audience (All eyes will be on us). Just maybe we only wanted to give them the bare minimum of film to gameplan for us. Also UCF played their best game ever against us while we just went through the motions and we still beat them.

Bottom line is that the players did not execute on special teams, why don't you get mad at Houston Hess,Kenneth Luberice or Cha Cha Sinclair (just using an example, not singling these guys out) for not making sound tackles against Joe Burnett because he was the only reason they were in that game.

There are a lot of short-sighted posts on this message board.

but if we were running the ball there would be no INT, with 3 min left in the game leading by 14 (run, run, run (chew up clock and TO's) the kick away from burnett and let you defense do their jobs.

• Content Count:  478

Also, it wasn't Dungy's team that won, Dungy had built the defense, the offense was all about Gruden.

It absolutely was Dungy's team. Just Gruden's playcalling and aggression. Don't believe me? Tell me the last time the Bucs came close to a Superbowl berth since Gruden traded away all of the players that Dungy had put together......

what he said. the only thing about dungy was that he was loyal to a fault (remember trent dilfer anyone???) and he was kind of conservative when it came to play calling (hard to do that when you coach a second half team) but he is the reason tampa has a superbowl championship - and the reason a lot of tampa residents still love him.

• Content Count:  21,334
  • Days Won:  10

Play calling seems to be inconsistent and a problem.  Leavitt might be to loyal to get the NC game.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I'm not trying to start a pessimistic post, and I'm not discounting what he's done for the program in a little over a decade.

As an example, Tony Dungy built a great team in the Bucs, but couldn't win the big one. Gruden came in with Dungy's team and won it all. I just question Leavitt's consistently questionable play calling and his tendency to stick with the more tenured players over ones that may be better (see Delbert Alvarado over Bonani).

I would love to see Leavitt bring us the NC, but I just don't see it happening. The Big East title, yes, probably this year because the rest of the conference is incredibly weak.

not unless he changes the way hh runs program and coaches

our special teams are too bad

our receivers arent  dependable enough

ground game not good enough

oline not good enough

• Content Count:  1,477

Not if we can't kick field goals. I predict all of our losses this season will be because of a missed FG

Archived