• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is Leavitt the one to win us a National Championship?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  223
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not trying to start a pessimistic post, and I'm not discounting what he's done for the program in a little over a decade.

As an example, Tony Dungy built a great team in the Bucs, but couldn't win the big one. Gruden came in with Dungy's team and won it all. I just question Leavitt's consistently questionable play calling and his tendency to stick with the more tenured players over ones that may be better (see Delbert Alvarado over Bonani).

I would love to see Leavitt bring us the NC, but I just don't see it happening. The Big East title, yes, probably this year because the rest of the conference is incredibly weak.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  25

It's never out of the question, and perhaps it might happen, but most likely not anytime soon.

Also, it wasn't Dungy's team that won, Dungy had built the defense, the offense was all about Gruden.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

maybe with the right assistant coaches at his side.

Spurrier didn't get one until he brought Stoops on for the Defense and let him basically run with it.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I think CJL can definitely bring one home and his eye for talent is not something we need to lose.  Let's not forget that without CJL we wouldn't have a little recruited high school center who is now one of the best DE's in the nation.  Im sold 100% on all of our coaches except Gregory.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,693
  • Days Won:  108

I think he is going to have to be.  Can't see him getting fired any time soon.  And I don't believe he wants to leave.  There is only 1 winner at the end of the year.  If we can be in the Top 20 consistently and have a shot at competing for the NC game, I would be very pleased.

Then again, the 'Ol Ball Coach will be availabe soon.  I'm sure he'd love to get his hands back on the talent pool in Florida.

I just can't wait to see the responses to that line.  >:D

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I think he is. It will take a while, but my thought is that CJL hasn't hit a ceiling yet. He could use more money for better assistants, but it's not like he is losing us games, or incapable of recruiting.

If he were to leave, this program would take 3 steps back, and I truly believe that. USF isn't known for going out and hiring a big name (CSH excluded), if CJL left, there would be a major void, and my gut tells me that USF promotes from within, or tries to hire the next up and coming coach. That would kill us in recruiting.

• Content Count:  416

I think we'd have trouble bringing in top coaching talent when all we really need to bring in is a special teams coach.

• Content Count:  1,981

Leavitt has won the big ones:

L'ville

WVU (2)

Auburn

He can't win 'em all. And he is not sticking to Delbert because of loyalty otherwise he wouldn't have said this:

"When it got back to the 25, I knew it wouldn't be a distance thing with Delbert, so it made it better for the angle, so it didn't bother me," Leavitt said. "I can't say I did that on purpose. I didn't. He just didn't hit the ball. We've got to find somebody that can hit the ball."

• Content Count:  3,827

I have the same questions. Clock management and special teams decisions seem to have been a weakness of this team for awhile now....both point directly to Leavitt. I'm willing to give him a chance though.

Archived