• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kicking Situation???

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,626
  • Days Won:  0

Julmiste was hardly the worst QB ever.  He had a winning percentage over .500 didn't he?  And he led us to our first bowl appearance, and played in our first bowl win.  Cut him some slack.  He's a representative of USF as a student first, QB second.  Applaud these kids' efforts, don't belittle them on a public forum.  As far as Delbert goes, all Division 1 kickers aren't automatic, so you can't expect him to make 100% of his kicks.  I would say the NCAA average for FG kicking is somewhere near the 70% mark for good ones.  Delbert's numbers from last year weren't far from that (I thnk he was in the 63% range).  He'll get it together, and if he doesn't I'm sure Leavitt will pull him.  Coach knows what is best for us, not Joe Q Public Fan

Thats why we stuck with him after the 4 miss game at Auburn? Or the two or three miss game at Rutgers? Or the crucial misses in the UConn game?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Julmiste was hardly the worst QB ever.  He had a winning percentage over .500 didn't he?  And he led us to our first bowl appearance, and played in our first bowl win.  Cut him some slack.  He's a representative of USF as a student first, QB second.  Applaud these kids' efforts, don't belittle them on a public forum.  As far as Delbert goes, all Division 1 kickers aren't automatic, so you can't expect him to make 100% of his kicks.  I would say the NCAA average for FG kicking is somewhere near the 70% mark for good ones.  Delbert's numbers from last year weren't far from that (I thnk he was in the 63% range).  He'll get it together, and if he doesn't I'm sure Leavitt will pull him.  Coach knows what is best for us, not Joe Q Public Fan

Thats why we stuck with him after the 4 miss game at Auburn? Or the two or three miss game at Rutgers? Or the crucial misses in the UConn game?

Dude, get over it.  You can't pin all of those on him.  Sure those were bad games for him, but what about how he made 10 of his last 11?  Forget those?

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

CJL himself admitted we need to FIND someone who can hit the ball better on kicks.  If i can find it ill be back shortly to throw it up in here with a link.  But from that quote it sounds like he agrees that something needs to be shaken up on the FG unit.  Also did CJL know what was best when we passed the ball on 2nd and 9 late in the game leading by 14?  Or how about kicking the ball to Burnett instead of out of bounds?  To act like our coaches always make the right decision is laughable, they are human they do make misjudgments.  

Edit: The CJL comments were in a post game press conference it's up on scout but its premium content, not sure if its up anywhere else but he does indeed say we need to FIND someone who can hit the ball better on kicks right after he said that Delbert didn't hit the ball well. 

Biography:

Bonani has a big time leg, hitting three field goals from more than 50 yards last year, the longest being 57 yards. He also routinely sends kick-offs through the end zone, and in practice hits field goals of 60-70 yards. That ability has made him one of the top place-kicking prospects in the state. Bonani also punts and booted a punt 60 of yards downed on the 6-yard line against DeSoto County HS. 

Biography:

Last season Brockhaus-Kann was named Second Team All County and Special Teams Player of the Year for the second year in a row after punting the ball 38 times for a 41.0 avg. and a net of 39.1, 11 punts inside the 20, and a long of 55 yards. In his spring game this year he had one punt for 51 yards that was downed inside the 20.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I wouldn't mind giving Bonani a shot, but I really don't want that shot to come this Friday night and I am glad they didn't use him last week.  Putting a 17/18 year old kid  that has been on campus for about a month in a win or lose situation in a crazy hostile environment like the UCF game or into a situation on national TV vs the #11 ranked team in a game that ultimately could have national ranking implications is not the time for a kid to be getting his first crack at FG kicking.  I don't care how good he has been in practice.  FIU, fine, but give the kid some time to adjust or you'll screw up his psyche and he'll be lost.  Teachey?  Maybe, but does anyone know if he has been working out on placekicking?  We are probably going to have to live or die with Alvarado for at least 1 more game unless it is a short chip shot.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Biography:

Bonani has a big time leg, hitting three field goals from more than 50 yards last year, the longest being 57 yards. He also routinely sends kick-offs through the end zone, and in practice hits field goals of 60-70 yards. That ability has made him one of the top place-kicking prospects in the state. Bonani also punts and booted a punt 60 of yards downed on the 6-yard line against DeSoto County HS. 

Biography:

Last season Brockhaus-Kann was named Second Team All County and Special Teams Player of the Year for the second year in a row after punting the ball 38 times for a 41.0 avg. and a net of 39.1, 11 punts inside the 20, and a long of 55 yards. In his spring game this year he had one punt for 51 yards that was downed inside the 20.

What was his percentage of kicks made from 45 yards in?  We need consistency in front of 65,000 fans on national TV, not a 70 yard prayer once in a while.  He may have the leg, but is he psycholgically ready to handle the situation when our top 10 ranking may be on the line.  At least Alvarado has been there before.  Let's see what happens after the KU game unless the kid has ice in his veins.  That's where the coaches need to make a judgement.

• Content Count:  1,985

The line has to do its job as well in these kicking situations.  Our OL is not knocking guys off the line and letting them jump or worse penetrate. this makes the kicker try to scoop the kick up, result, FSU......

If the backs make the proper adjustments and cover the guys coming in off the corner so Del doesn't feel pressured it would help as well.  But the biggest problem I have seen to date has been that the OGs need to push out and keep the Defense from getting in a jump position.

Dude, get over it.  You can't pin all of those on him.  Sure those were bad games for him, but what about how he made 10 of his last 11?  Forget those?

Cant pin those on him? Did you see where some of those kicks landed???

Here is how we solve the kicking problems. One of two ways:

Fake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfeBPrxpXJA

Or pull a Brett Favre

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Is it just your guys' kicker that's been a problem or has it been all facets of the special teams?  Kansas had some kicker issues prior to the season but those seem to have calmed a bit and things have looked solid.  My only real  problem with KU's teams right now have been the kickoff team not flying down as much as I'd like and the fact that the kicker can't quite get it deep enough.  He only seems to be hitting it at the 10.

As you can see, most consider the main issue is our place kicker.  He goes through stretches where he rarely misses, and other stretches where he rarely makes his kicks.  He is also the punter, and has done a terrific job there.  I think there is a 50/50 chance we'll see a new field goal kicker at least a couple of times against you guys.

Our return teams are very good, but our kick coverage may be hit or miss.  But that kid from UCF was phenomenal on returns, so we may not be as bad as we looked this past week.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

or JoeB Public Fan

Archived