• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kicking Situation???

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I think Maikon Bonani should get the first cracks this Friday.  We already know what we have in Delbert (very good punter but leaves a lot to be desired as a K) and honestly our field goal kicking can't be much worse than it is now.  The only way to know if hes the better option is to actually give him a shot in games. 

should of done this experiment against tn-martin

They practice this everyday.  It shouldn't be much of an experiment.  The new special teams coach should determine who is the better kicker.  If it happens to be Delbert, I don't think putting in a worse kicker will get the job done any better.

Change for the sake of change is never the right call, especially change in the wrong direction.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I think Maikon Bonani should get the first cracks this Friday.  We already know what we have in Delbert (very good punter but leaves a lot to be desired as a K) and honestly our field goal kicking can't be much worse than it is now.  The only way to know if hes the better option is to actually give him a shot in games. 

They practice this everyday.  It shouldn't be much of an experiment.  The new special teams coach should determine who is the better kicker.  If it happens to be Delbert, I don't think putting in a worse kicker will get the job done any better.

I have heard that Bonani has been kicking well in practice.  Sometimes a change can spark a particular unit especially a unit that cant be much worst than our FG unit is playing now.  Worst comes to worst we put the known commodity back in if Bonani doesn't take advantage off the opportunity. 

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Change for the sake of change is never the right call, especially change in the wrong direction.

FG kicker, more than any other position, cannot be simulated in practice.  In practice you don't have 45,000 fans screaming and thousands more watching on television.  You didn't just watch your team work their tales off to give you this chance to put 3 points on the board.  I know Dr. Lou says line the team up and tell the kicker if he misses everyone runs, but even that doesn't do it. 

We all know Delbert is a great kicker in practice, but he can't get it straight between his ears to produce on the field.

• Content Count:  33
  • Days Won:  0

I just don't see how a kicker can be that bad.  ??? He has the offseason to practice with the coaches so what heck is the problem?

Would somebody please do something to help this guy?

There are 40,000+ students here on campus and they can find a better kicker than him? Maybe they should call the soccer team coach.

Anything! Just fix it!

• Content Count:  223

Look, Delbert Alvarado is to the Kicker position what Pat Julmiste was to the Quarterback position. Pat Julmiste was the worst starting quarterback in Division I-A history. Yes, he was a great leader, but a horrible QB.

Delbert is a scholly punter and a fairly decent one at that. He shouldn't be on the field whatsoever in field goal situations.

This isn't Delbert's fault. If he was a scholly kicker and wasn't doing his job, it would be a different story. This falls on Leavitt.

• Content Count:  879

Look, Delbert Alvarado is to the Kicker position what Pat Julmiste was to the Quarterback position. Pat Julmiste was the worst starting quarterback in Division I-A history. Yes, he was a great leader, but a horrible QB.

Delbert is a scholly punter and a fairly decent one at that. He shouldn't be on the field whatsoever in field goal situations.

This isn't Delbert's fault. If he was a scholly kicker and wasn't doing his job, it would be a different story. This falls on Leavitt.

Agreed.  Bonani was given a scholly to kick field goals.  Why shouldn't he be given a shot?  We have nothing to lose.  FWIW, the Kansas kicker apparently missed an extra point last week, so maybe we can get into his head on Friday.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,709
  • Days Won:  108

Great minds think alike.  I was wondering during that game when Bonani would be kicking extra points.  Jim used backups at most other positions.  Maybe he was trying to get Delbert into a rhythm?  But for Bonani to go out against Kansas in front of a full house may not be the time.  Maybe Teachey for that game and then Bonani against FIU?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

Didn't we recruit two PK's this past class?  Why are they not getting a shot, but Delbert still is?  I'm not ragging on Delbert, he's a punter not a PK, it's not really his fault.

Also, do our coaches not tell Delbert to quit kicking straight at the guy who keeps returning punts for 20+ yards, or is that one his fault?

Just curious, not being negative.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Great minds think alike.  I was wondering during that game when Bonani would be kicking extra points.  Jim used backups at most other positions.  Maybe he was trying to get Delbert into a rhythm?  But for Bonani to go out against Kansas in front of a full house may not be the time.  Maybe Teachey for that game and then Bonani against FIU?

The best place he could get a chance to start would be at home.  I don't think Kansas is a bad idea at all seeing as the worst thing he could do is miss and as we all know Delbert isn't a stranger to doing that.  Even if he performs badly our FG unit really can't get much worse than it has been so far. 

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Julmiste was hardly the worst QB ever.  He had a winning percentage over .500 didn't he?  And he led us to our first bowl appearance, and played in our first bowl win.  Cut him some slack.  He's a representative of USF as a student first, QB second.  Applaud these kids' efforts, don't belittle them on a public forum.  As far as Delbert goes, all Division 1 kickers aren't automatic, so you can't expect him to make 100% of his kicks.  I would say the NCAA average for FG kicking is somewhere near the 70% mark for good ones.  Delbert's numbers from last year weren't far from that (I thnk he was in the 63% range).  He'll get it together, and if he doesn't I'm sure Leavitt will pull him.  Coach knows what is best for us, not Joe Q Public Fan

Archived