• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

C-DOA Media Day. GOL still not talking......

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

How can one write about UCF football at CUSA media days if the coach won't answer any questions when you're present?  If Mel Martinez refused to conduct county commission meetings while the offending paper was present then it might be the same.  But it is not.  BTW, why don't you answer the questions _EI raised in the other threads?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

How can one write about UCF football at CUSA media days if the coach won't answer any questions when you're present?  If Mel Martinez refused to conduct county commission meetings while the offending paper was present then it might be the same.  But it is not.  BTW, why don't you answer the questions _EI raised in the other threads?

1) Again...go read for yourself...Sentinel beat writer had 1-2 stories and 1-2 blogs about CUSA media day...it can be done.

2) ah...what question?

• Content Count:  4,016

But now it’s time for UCF to take a stand.     

It is time they order O’Leary to make peace with the hometown paper that covers his football team.  It is time they insist O’Leary make a public acknowledgement of his seemingly insensitive mishandling of the situation.     

And it’s time UCF itself sets the record straight once and for all about what happened on March 18th.   

After all, this isn’t about college football, or George O’Leary’s ego, or even about the University of Central Florida.   

It’s about respecting the memory of Ereck Plancherâ€â€a good kid who died way too early.

The article was good until this.  What happened to journalistic integrity?  The author is presenting opinions as facts.

All he had to do was form them into questions. ex:

"When is the time for UCF to take a stand?" or "Is it time for UCF to take a stand?" or "How much is enough?"

This article pushes me more towards UCF's side.  The Sentinel is clearly trying to overhype the situation to sell papers.  It's a shame.

It 'pushes toward UCF's side'?  You did read the entire article right?  So you are on the side of mismanaging, and misquotes to the media, missteps along the way, a group that possibly didn't handled EP the way he was suppose to be handled on that fateful day?  This isn't a kickball tournament we're talking about.

UCF hasn't once taken any culpability.  The closest thing they've said is 'we told EP he had SCT', like that was enough to wash their hands of responsibility.  No one is accusing anyone of murder, or killing, or intentionally harming, but ****, read the NATA, and NCAA recommended treatment of athletes with SCT, read all the reports on what happened on that fateful day.  Then ask yourself if really UCF is being 'treated badly'.

Here's a little diddy for you, and one the Knaggits love to avoid.  In early interviews and discussions of that particular day O'Leary has been quoted in numerous papers as calling the workouts 'non-taxing' and 'not rigorous', and short in duration.  He also said he never saw anything from EP out of the ordinary.  Then once the anonymous players spoke to the Sentinel suddenly O'Leary recalled telling EP 'he was better than that', and when he was struggling and a trainer came up to him, before the workouts concluded, he asked the trainer if 'he had any breakfast'.  So which is it George?  Sounds to me like Coach O'Leary gave immediate credence to those 'anonymous players' by accepting some truths to their story, truths he conveniently left out in an earlier version.

AND, taking that into account, per NATA, and NCAA Instructions on handling SCT athletes, UCF should have pulled EP aside, and began administering treatment when O'Leary told him during sprints that 'he was better than that'.

Funny, it took a Sentinel interview with anonymous players to get O'Leary to 'fill in' little conveniently left off factoids in his original version of events.

At this point there are four to five critical pieces UCF is going to need to overcome for a lawsuit.

1.  Proof that they did discuss with EP about SCT.  I am not saying they didn't but his medical jacket at the University should have a date-time log on when that counseling took place.  My guess is it did happen and UCF can prove it.

2.  Proof that they notified hospital and coroner medical professionals of EP's condition during his treatment and autopsy.  I am sure it happened but some people seemed rather shocked by the news.

3.  Was O'Leary aware of EP's condition, and if he wasn't then 'why not'.  Here's where it will get interesting. 

4.  Proof that on that day EP was treated exceptionally, compared to other athletes, on that day, as commensurate with an athlete that has  SCT.  For example, O'Leary said another player was vomiting during those workouts, but he said, 'he always vomits in workouts'...I would assume that EP was handled with kit gloves, with more advanced oversight then the 'vomit kid', as they were obliged to do having known of EP's condition and consulted with the NATA and NCAA previously on this matter. 

5.  The workout wasn't past a reasonable level, and if it was was EP closely monitored.

Those five questions will be what UCF is going to have to answer in court.  Stop making this a Sentinel thing, or that UCF is wronged.  If they are wronged then a court will need to find the five aforementioned points unfounded.  HIPPA won't protect anyone from a court order.  Presumably 1-2 can easily be proven by some simple documentation, although clearly the Plancher family is already angling that #1 did not happen.  They all claim, and his friends and confidants that EP never told them ,and they say he 'tells them anything'.  Right or wrong, that's obviously where they are leaning.  With these anynomous players you really have them making a strong case for 4-5 against UCF.  Anything more and shut the door on that program.

Before people 'let UCF off the hook' or 'side with them' you better know the answers to those aforementioned points.  Because if even half point to UCF responsibility, or rather negligence on the part of UCF, then they deserve every bit of the negative press- but it doesn't mean anyone is going to jail or someone intentionally did anything.  If none of those points stick, then the Sentinel owes them an apology, but UCF should take some responsibility for their misquotes and missteps at the early going of this ordeal that led to confusion, and misunderstandings- then UCF should fire their SID, and Sentinel fire Lemon. 

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Bien, the four anonymous players were made up.  I know it's true because I read it on the UCF board.

• Content Count:  4,016

Bien, the four anonymous players were made up.  I know it's true because I read it on the UCF board.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  **** there are some funny b-tches on this board.  That's three times I've chuckled out loud reading a post.

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

O'Liar should resign over this mess......oh wait a minute, if that happens we may actually have to worry about UCiF.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

http://wvgazette.com/Sports/DougSmock/200807270383

"Speaking of UCF, George O'Leary has been boycotting the Orlando Sentinel.

The two-time C-USA coach of the year is steamed over the newspaper's coverage in the days after the tragic March death of running back Ereck Plancher. At the league's media day a week ago in Memphis, Tenn., he would not talk to the Sentinel or allow his players to do so.

I won't lay out the Plancher situation or take a side here, but I figure UCF and the Sentinel need to patch this up pronto (O'Leary seemed to take a step with a letter to the paper, released Sunday). Moreso UCF - I guarantee you the Sentinel is the only paper in the state of the Gators, Seminoles, Hurricanes and Bulls that really cares about the Knights."

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,603
  • Days Won:  424

Moreso UCF - I guarantee you the Sentinel is the only paper in the state of the Gators, Seminoles, Hurricanes and Bulls that really cares about the Knights."

The author must not be familiar with El Nuevo Día Orlando ...

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/619258.html

• Central Florida football coach George O'Leary is boycotting The Orlando Sentinel over alleged reporting inaccuracies. How rich is that! This is the same guy who was fired by Notre Dame after about 10 minutes because of gross lies on his résumé.

Archived