• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Greg reporting CJL signed extension

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Congrats to CJL and the staff.  Yes, bring home a Big East title.

I'm surprised that Brett didn't find this out first through a Tampa Tribune information request.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF

Jim Leavitt Signs Contract Extension Through 2014

TAMPA – University of South Florida athletic director Doug Woolard announced a contract extension for head football coach Jim Leavitt. This agreement secures Leavitt as USF’s head football coach through the 2014 season. 

Leavitt owns a 79-47 record and a winning percentage of 63 percent in his 11 seasons at the helm of the program.  He is the longest tenured BIG EAST coach at their current school.

"I appreciate President Genshaft and Doug Woolard for allowing me to be a part of a great University and a great Athletic Department,” said Leavitt.  “I also appreciate the Tampa Bay community for all the support and I have to praise the outstanding coaches and players that have been with me throughout my tenure here. I can't imagine a better opportunity in this country.  I'm excited about being a part of a program that should never take a back seat to any other."

Under the new deal, his annual compensation increases to $1.5 million in 2008. No state funds were used in the increase.

Agreements with new apparel supplier Under Armour and the athletic department’s multimedia rights holder, ISP Sports provided the funds for the extension.

"We're pleased to enter into an agreement with Jim Leavitt that secures him as our head football coach through 2014,” said Woolard.  “What his leadership has accomplished is unmatched in the country with regards to beginning and developing a nationally recognized football program.  Our football program continues to be a great catalyst for helping to brand the University of South Florida and for bringing positive recognition to the entire Tampa Bay area.  This extension is reflective of the market, is highly competitive within the Big East Conference and continues to demonstrate our commitment and our desire to provide the type of program our fans and alumni deserve.”

This past season, USF placed its footprint permanently on the national map.  The Bulls were ranked for the majority of the season and experienced a meteoric rise to No. 2 in the polls. A final regular season record of 9-4 was capped by a first ever trip to the Brut Sun Bowl.

Several standout performances helped fill the seats to capacity at Raymond James Stadium and led to a program record attendance average of 53,170.  The Bulls ranked second in the BIG EAST in attendance and led the nation with an average increase of 22,948. 

Defensive end George Selvie became USF’s first consensus All-American, while cornerback Mike Jenkins also reeled in first team All-America honors.  Linebacker Ben Moffitt was named a third team All-American by the AP and cornerback Trae Williams received multiple honorable mention All-America awards.

The Bulls are currently taking a break from spring practice, but will return to the fields on March 18. USF opens the 2008 season on Aug. 30 against Tennessee-Martin.

Full Release

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

yay!

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Greg's blog says the assistant salary pool was increased to $1.25 million - anyone know what it was before?  That is an area we need emphasize.

• Content Count:  714
  • Days Won:  1

Just saw on ESPN ticker.  Well deserved.

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

The assistants made $950,000 this season, and were to make $1.05-million under the previous contract. The $1.25-million pool for 2008 represents an 81 percent increase in three years from the $690,000 pool for the 2005 season. (Only three assistants -- Burnham, Franks and Gregory) still remain from the '05 staff.

The assistant pool totals didn't change from the offer that was reported back in January.

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

and as I said before BMM's article comparing salaries did NOT include Jim's newest salary.  He was basing his annual comparison on last year's range.  He had a salary of $1.1M, not $1.5M, and the new assistant pool should put all assistants well over $100k, a first, and coordinators should be approaching $200k, a nice jump.  We only have 9 assistants that count in that pool.

• Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

Does the buyout amount change,  more money for him should equate to more money for us if ever decideds to bail (never say never)

Archived