• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Justin Green - OUCH!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Why not wait to see if you can enroll ANYWHERE come August...as USF has been the KING of signing players that obviously didn't stand much of chance of enrolling at USF the falling fall semester.

I'm thinking you should check your own graduation rates before you start spewing junk like that.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

If I was Leavitt, I'd be pi**ed.  Raising the academic standards is OK, but the timing is assinine.  These coaches have been building relationships with these kids for years, and to suddenly change the rules right before signing day is ridiculous.  How embarrasing to have to call a kid you've been on for years and to suddenly tell them there is no scholarship.  The administration are idiots for pulling this at the last minute.

But hasn't Green been a solid verbal for months? Why didn't Leavitt or JG work harder to make sure he got the grades or test scores that were deficient? If it was grades, he could have busted his butt in Fall to show he was making an effort. If its test scores, he could be retaking and studying to show improvement. It's not like this committee didn't exist before, they just changed the point at which they meet (prior to NLIs now). My understanding is that the exceptions are similar to past years, its just that they're being looked at earlier in the process. Would it be better to get Green to sign an NLI knowing full well that he's only a 50/50 (or less) chance of being admitted?

No, the process is different now.  Previously, Leavitt could sign marginal kids and they could work to get admitted.  Now, within the last 2 weeks, the committee decides which kids Leavitt is recruiting can get in.  Thus, no scholarship for Green now.

I'm not opposed to the change, just the timing is incredibly bad to say the least.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,010
  • Days Won:  469

palm_beach_post.gif

Gardens head coach Kevin Fleury said that USF called him Tuesday to inform him that Green has not yet met the academic requirements to enroll in the Tampa school, but are holding a scholarship for him in hopes that he meets the academic criteria within the next grading period.

Fleury said that USF coaches were upset that they learned of the situation from the school’s admission office so late in the recruiting process — Wednesday is national signing day — but that they hope they will be able to sign Green at a later date.

Link

• Content Count:  4,738

did this kid sign somewhere else?

• Content Count:  4,642

it's okay because we'll have jackson to fill in for green's spot

• Content Count:  538

exactly, more than an even trade.

all in all, decent day - two negative surprises, the jc wr and green, who's nicely traded up for with Jackson, and got 2 (baker, daniels - in positions of need) of the 6 on the fence (johnson  & johnson, liuget and streeter, who was never coming here anyways).  pretty good day, IMO.  plus, don't forget, mike jenkins signed as a day after signing day when he came on board, and our very best recruits last year were transfers - mckenzie and ford. I'm still watching closely the next few days. i've got faith.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

With only 22 signees, sure we'll have a scholly this summer for him if he thinks he can qualify.

We don't know what side Jackson will play.

• Content Count:  538

With only 22 signees, sure we'll have a scholly this summer for him if he thinks he can qualify.

We don't know what side Jackson will play.

even better. he fills a need for a miss - liuget OR green. we need big athletes, this guy got recruited to FSU, he's no stiff.

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

It's not o.k., because we promised the kid a scholarship and then backed out at the last second

Archived