• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cinci QB, Mauk

cptkid570

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  403
  • Days Won:  0

Cinci's qb, Ben Mauk is applying to try to be able to play NCAA football for a 6th year... how exactly is this working?  Why would he be able to do this??  I'm just trying to better understand this situation..

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Graduate student, did not play freshman year, sat out at Wake Forest for surgery (medical RS I believe).

• Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

Great story, fighting back from injury, etc.  Just wish he didn't pick that flag up during our game and throw it forward.  Makes me question his sportsmanship.

• Content Count:  3,574

Cinci's qb, Ben Mauk is applying to try to be able to play NCAA football for a 6th year... how exactly is this working?  Why would he be able to do this??  I'm just trying to better understand this situation..

We'll be doing the same thing with Gregory after the 2008 season...

Greg Gregory said following next season, USF will apply for a medical hardship to try and get Grant an additional year of eligibility because of his injury plagued 2006 season.

"We know he has one more year [in 2008], but we're hoping like mad he's got two years left," Greg Gregory said. "That would be a real bonus for us as a football team."

If Grant Gregory receives an additional year, USF would have its top two QBs  Matt Grothe and Gregory  for two more seasons.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/dec/14/notebook-qb-gregory-perseveres-get-his-degree/?sports-colleges-bulls

The funny thing is, because he was hurt at Wake Forest -- I think Wake had to officially submit the request... but I'm not 100% sure. He was injured in Wake's 1st game in 2006 against Syracuse -- so he probably has a valid "medical redshirt" application...

• Content Count:  4,016

The funny thing is, because he was hurt at Wake Forest -- I think Wake had to officially submit the request... but I'm not 100% sure. He was injured in Wake's 1st game in 2006 against Syracuse -- so he probably has a valid "medical redshirt" application...

you are right jim, the NCAA usually does not grant medical redshirts to transfers... particularly ones they granted a waiver for playing immediately when transfering from WF to Cinci, i.e. that would defeat the purpose.  The reason is the NCAA does not want 6th year medical waivers to be reason for transfering so guys start jumping all over expecting to get a medical waiver.  They are extremely hard to get and usually only the original school is likely of getting it awarded, like with LRS Jr., the only known waiver we've had granted I believe.  We're going for jared carnes but chances are minimal because he is a transfer player. 

Mauk was a thorn for us so move him along!

• Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

Great story, fighting back from injury, etc.  Just wish he didn't pick that flag up during our game and throw it forward.  Makes me question his sportsmanship.

That play made me lose all the respect I had for him

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

you are right jim, the NCAA usually does not grant medical redshirts to transfers... particularly ones they granted a waiver for playing immediately when transfering from WF to Cinci, i.e. that would defeat the purpose.  The reason is the NCAA does not want 6th year medical waivers to be reason for transfering so guys start jumping all over expecting to get a medical waiver.  They are extremely hard to get and usually only the original school is likely of getting it awarded, like with LRS Jr., the only known waiver we've had granted I believe.  We're going for jared carnes but chances are minimal because he is a transfer player. 

Mauk was a thorn for us so move him along!

Mauk did not need a waiver to play immediately, he is a grad student.  Aka, he graduated in 4 (redshirted as a frosh), had one more year of eligibility, transfered, and played.  It is in the NCAA rule book.  Nothing anyone could do about it.

Medical Redshirts for a 6th year are hard to come by though (please no).

• Content Count:  403

I guess I can't complain about the NCAA giving him what he wants (if they do).. NCAA has been generous to us in letting some of our transfers not sit out a year.

• Content Count:  4,738

its too bad he got hurt so bad because he is a real good player.  Nobody will touch him with that arm at the next level except as free agent walk on.  Plus, another surgery coming up.  Terrible freak accident play on the injury.  Hope he does well and moves on.

Archived