• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cinci QB, Mauk

cptkid570

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  260
  • Days Won:  0

The funny thing is, because he was hurt at Wake Forest -- I think Wake had to officially submit the request... but I'm not 100% sure. He was injured in Wake's 1st game in 2006 against Syracuse -- so he probably has a valid "medical redshirt" application...

you are right jim, the NCAA usually does not grant medical redshirts to transfers... particularly ones they granted a waiver for playing immediately when transfering from WF to Cinci, i.e. that would defeat the purpose.  The reason is the NCAA does not want 6th year medical waivers to be reason for transfering so guys start jumping all over expecting to get a medical waiver.  They are extremely hard to get and usually only the original school is likely of getting it awarded, like with LRS Jr., the only known waiver we've had granted I believe.  We're going for jared carnes but chances are minimal because he is a transfer player. 

Mauk was a thorn for us so move him along!

Mauk did not need a waiver to play immediately, he is a grad student.  Aka, he graduated in 4 (redshirted as a frosh), had one more year of eligibility, transfered, and played.  It is in the NCAA rule book.  Nothing anyone could do about it.

Medical Redshirts for a 6th year are hard to come by though (please no).

you are correct except for one thing - the ncaa rescinded the rule already - mauk was allowed to transfer as a grad student for a grad program that is not offered at his undergrad school.  mundy at wvu (from michigan) is also one of the players that took advantage of this transfer rule that was in effect for only one year.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I think that was a good rule.  They already got rid of it?

• Content Count:  2,661

you are right jim, the NCAA usually does not grant medical redshirts to transfers...

Yup. Anybody remember Scott Johnson?

Who is Scott Johnson??

you are correct except for one thing - the ncaa rescinded the rule already - mauk was allowed to transfer as a grad student for a grad program that is not offered at his undergrad school.  mundy at wvu (from michigan) is also one of the players that took advantage of this transfer rule that was in effect for only one year.

I thought these kids were/are STUDENT athletes.  As a student I want to be somewhere that I can get the degree to help me post graduation/athletic career.  Now the mighty NCAA is basically taking that away?

• Content Count:  260

it seemed like a good rule - made sense - not sure why it was abolished after just one year.  anytime you hear any commentary on sports shows they always say it was a good idea and they dont understand why it was reversed.

• Content Count:  4,738

it seemed like a good rule - made sense - not sure why it was abolished after just one year.  anytime you hear any commentary on sports shows they always say it was a good idea and they dont understand why it was reversed.

on the bowl game broadcast I think I remember someone saying that they removed it because, in so many words, it has been used just to go to another school to play football.  I don't understand that, if that is true the NCAA is assuming he only did it for sports, not for education. 

on the bowl game broadcast I think I remember someone saying that they removed it because, in so many words, it has been used just to go to another school to play football.  I don't understand that, if that is true the NCAA is assuming he only did it for sports, not for education. 

Mauk is in GRADUATE school, taking GRADUATE classes.  That sounds like someone looking out for their post collegiate career to me.  The NCAA is soooooooooo messed up

Scott Johnson was a basketball player in the early-to-mid 1990s... he had some injuries and missed a whole year, but the NCAA still denied the medical redshirt.

Archived