• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sun Bowl ticket sales going really well

jd77

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,766
  • Days Won:  3

...The Papajohns.com Bowl sold 42,305 tickets and had an actual attendance of 28,527 for its inaugural game. At this time last year, the bowl had sold about 40,000 tickets.

And what do we make of this?

42,305 - 'sold'

28,527 - 'thru the door'

----------

13,778 - tickets were sold, but never used.  32.56% (almost 1/3) of all tickets sold were not used,

yet, mysteriously, when game day rolled around the management had the foresight, dare I say psychic ability,

to know this IN ADVANCE, and they wedged all of the fans onto one side of the stadium?

Now that's impressive.  ;)

Gotta remember...we're always liberal with application of the term 'sold'. While you and I may read this as

an indicator of individual interest, it's not past the university's domain to throw out 1,000 tickets to students,

another 1,000 tickets to vendors or contractors who have done 'X' for the school, another 1,000 to some

charity.

Remember, at the end of the day...it's just business. As long as the funds are deposited, we'll get along

just fine.... :-*

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

BullsFanInTX,

I do recall that Cincy had a plan that was to sell the bowl game tickets with their season ticket plan.  I am willing to be that those numbers are a factor in that 8K figure. Why doesnt USF do something like this for next year?? It would be pretty smart to do in order to help out bowl attendence numbers.

My point exactly.  Cincy has not "sold" 8k tickets, yet they are taking credit for it all over the place.  Thier #s include these so called pre deposits.  I do give them credit for their creativity.  It does make them look so much better, whether or not anyone actually shows up they get to claim, hey look we sold 8k tickets to the pj.com bowl.  Their actual bodies will be much less than 8k.  How much less is anyones guess.  It might be somewhere around what USF had last year, I admit that.  I just wish USF had done some creative allocating like cincy did or had the foresight to sell credits ahead of time to inflate the tickets "sold".  Seems the way to go is to go around "allocating" tickets all over the place and then go around claiming big numbers sold.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,766
  • Days Won:  3

...and let's remember, boys and girls:

The NCAA counts actual attendance, not paid, when monitoring bowl turnouts. Bowl games must average 25,000 over a three-year period to remain certified.

So although we can fluff some numbers for some aspects, the ever watchful eyes of the NCAA are upon you!

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

If Cincy brings 8k actual bodies then I will be impressed and admit they did a great job and I was wrong.  I just think their numbers are more fluff and propped up due to these credits they sold.  Take those away and you have less than 4K sold.  Let's see how many actual bodies they have.

USF should have done more creative "allocating" if that's all it took to make your numbers look big in the press.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

when game day rolled around the management had the foresight, dare I say psychic ability,

to know this IN ADVANCE, and they wedged all of the fans onto one side of the stadium?

if i recall, there were probably at least 1,000 or so fans scattered on the opposite side of the field.

im sure they planned to have the two schools' ticket allotments on the same side of the field, as those would be the predominant sales.

better for TV that way.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,381
  • Days Won:  10

Mama Bull,

The types of planes at MacDill are not the types that can transport troops.  At least not the last time I knew about them.  It would mean flying in come C-141's at taxpayer expense.  Could you imagine the outcry for that expense??

Nice thought, but not doable.  Although there are plenty of bases in Texas (I was stationed at two USAF bases)and we could always adopt one ourselves.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  164

IMG_5403.JPG

never say the Bulls didn't bring a very good crowd to BHam last year-- simply not true. Couldn't fit the whole group in a single shot-- closest I came was this one.

• Content Count:  2,307
  • Days Won:  0

Mike G, that picture is AWESOME!

It's like "Where's Waldo"? when trying to look for people.

• Content Count:  1,238
  • Days Won:  0

Mike G, that picture is AWESOME!

It's like "Where's Waldo"? when trying to look for people.

Waldo is wearing the Santa hat by the entry tunnel ...mid-right.  ;D

• Content Count:  19,266
  • Days Won:  255

I found LG and me and I can't believe I spent ten minutes on the search. I am the first fully visible white shirt and green hat (about five people up) located behind the first Grothe in the front row from the left.  LG is sporting a green shirt and white hat to my left. I need to go do something productive now ;D

Archived