• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sun Bowl ticket sales going really well

jd77

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Oregon is currently running a nice bowl promotion where if you buy a ticket they send you a souvenir ticket and give the real tickets to a local army base to use.

Maybe we could do that with McDill as they have plenty of planes which could fly to El Paso and back with no problem. LOL

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Cincinnati's been a basketball school for like 15 years and this is really their football team's first whiff of success in a long, long time.

Two other things in their favor:

- It's easier for some of them to stop off in Birmingham on their way somewhere else warm for Christmas, than it was for USF fans to come up and then go back.

- They're playing Southern Miss. If they have even half the animosity for them as some other schools have, that's got to be worth at least 500 tickets right there.

Here is the article I mentioned:

For Every Souvenir Ticket, Real Tickets Given To Troops

December 14th, 2007 · No Comments

Media Services

EUGENE – The University of Oregon is offering an added incentive for fans unable to attend the 74th annual Brut Sun Bowl Dec. 31 in El Paso, Texas, to purchase souvenir tickets for the game between the Ducks and South Florida.

For each souvenir ticket purchased, Oregon will donate an equal number of game tickets to troops stationed at Fort Bliss for the 11 a.m. (PST) contest televised nationally by CBS Sports.

All tickets are $40 each and may be purchased on-line at www.goducks.com, by phone at 346-4461 or 1-800-WEBFOOT, or in person at the Casanova Center Athletic Ticket Office from 9 a.m-5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Souvenir bowl tickets will be mailed to purchasers after Jan. 1, 2008.

http://www.ducksportsnews.com/blog/2007/12/14/for-every-souvenir-ticket-real-tickets-given-to-troops/

Mama... Fort Bliss is in El Paso, not Oregon... so USF wouldn't do it with MacDill...

I don't know why not.

If McDill is willing to provide them the transportation, they could. Perhaps they have a flight going in that direction anyway. I'm sure they could find a way to do it if they wanted to provide a chrsitmas type present to some of their guys. If you don't ask them, you won't know. Of course, we could alternatively provide tickets to some other armed forces base which is closer to El Paso, and that is another option. So long as the tickets don't go to waste and we get credit for selling them to make or numbers look better, I think it is something to look into.

• Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

we need to sell out our 8000 allotment.

THAT would be impressive!

if we put 3000+ butts in seats that would be impressive as well.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I'm sorry, bu I don't care what any article says.  Cincy has not "sold" 8,000 tickets.  And I highly doubt they have even "allocated" 8K tickets, without some serious fudging of numbers.  It might be what they hope to have, including those so called presold bowl ticket deposits they had.  Here's a program that was lucky to get 15K to HOME games last year, actual bodies in seats, and you're telling me 8k actual bodies are going to birmingham.  I don't beleive it for a minute.  If I am wrong I will admit it, but I guarantee I am not wrong.  USF should fudge the numbers like Cincy and then get those numbers out in the press to make them look better like Cincy.  Cincy won't have more bodies in BHam than USF had last year.  I wonder how many of cincy's 8k allocated tickets are actually 100% sold.  probably about 3K from what I have heard.

• Content Count:  16,461
  • Days Won:  43

BullsFanInTex

Here is the link to the article about ticket sales going well. Take it up with  the the Birmingham News as they are reporting it. 

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1197710276292110.xml&coll=2

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

BullsFanInTex

Here is the link to the article about ticket sales going well. Take it up with  the the Birmingham News as they are reporting it. 

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1197710276292110.xml&coll=2

Take a closer look...

The Papajohns.com Bowl has sold 42,160 tickets one week before Southern Mississippi and No.20 Cincinnati meet Dec. 22 at Legion Field, bowl officials said Friday.

The Papajohns.com Bowl sold 42,305 tickets and had an actual attendance of 28,527 for its inaugural game. At this time last year, the bowl had sold about 40,000 tickets.

Almost the exact attendance as last year, and that is with one school (USM), MUCH closer than both USF and ECU were.

Cincinnati announced Friday it has sold and allocated more than 8,300 tickets

This is exactly what I said.  Cincy has NOT sold 8k tickets, THEY ALLOCATED 8 K, AND THAT PROBABLY INCLUDES THOSE SO CALLED PRE BOWL GAME DEPOSITS THEY DID, whether or not they were actually sold.  I read another article somewhere the actual hard # of "Sold" was less than 4K, don't feel like digging it up now.

"We're slightly ahead," said Mark Meadows, the bowl's executive director. "After last year, there's a lot more awareness of the game."

They are slightly ahead of last year, insignificantly so.  And this with one school very close by unlike last year.

• Content Count:  16,461
  • Days Won:  43

BullsFanInTX,

I do recall that Cincy had a plan that was to sell the bowl game tickets with their season ticket plan.  I am willing to be that those numbers are a factor in that 8K figure. Why doesnt USF do something like this for next year?? It would be pretty smart to do in order to help out bowl attendence numbers.

Archived