• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone else hope Schiano leaves

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Paying 1.7 million can get you alot of talented coahces.

No big deal.

he didn't out coach JL, he just payed the refs off.

I don't think it was him.  I think it was the BE league boss, Traganutsackee that paid them off for that game. 

I will be glad if that bum Schiano leaves.  His team plays dirty and that's just what he coaches.  You don't have that many "cheap shots" and late hits in every game, unless the coach is calling for it. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

So, is Oleary a great coach for riding Kevin Smith to a conference championship?

Everyone says that Schiano is a good coach, I don't know yet. He has ridden Rice. They really have nothing else. Last year, their defense was good. Sure, they lost some players, but we lost 2 of the top 6 LBs ever to play here, and we are better this year.

Schiano didn't out coach Leavitt. Our guys were playing on a short week, on the road, RU got every call, we lost Taurus Johnson and Walt Walker, and we lost. It happens.

Even with all the bad luck in that game, you take away the BS illegal forward pass, or the BS OPI at the end, and we at least are attempting a FG to tie, or winning outright.

My point is, if Rice leaves, do you see that team continuing to be in mix for a conference championship? RU football is all about Ray Rice, and I don't think they are going to do too well once he leaves.

• Content Count:  3,403

In truth, I would like the Big East -- all 8 schools -- to be desinations for coaches, not stepping stones.  Sure, I hate Schiano with a passion... he's a good coach and Rutgers will be a good team as long as he's there... But I want him to stay.

Same with Rodriguez at WVU.

This is the way I look at it:

Yes, as a career move, the historic programs (Michigan, Alabama, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, USC, etc) are better than the Big East schools.  Even USF.  But that is only the resume.  If I am a coach, and my goal is to move up in my profession -- then I aspire to be at one of the schools mentioned as by most people as an "elite" program.

However, those programs come with some very very high expectations.  The media pressure, the booster pressure, the alumni pressure, the pressure of competing with the ghosts of coaches past... it's hard enough to manage 100+ college kids without that kind of microscope.  Very few coaches at these elite schools last very long.  Those that have (Paterno, Bowden) have been there forever; very few of the rest have been at their schools for even a decade.  That is not easy to overcome.

The flip side of being a good coach at a school below the elite level (anywhere from just below all the way down to a D-III school) is the following that coach can create.  Bowden could have left FSU a long time ago... he could have coached at Alabama before FSU became FSU.  Instead, Bowden is revered on campus.  They named the field after him.  He can go anywhere in Tallahassee, probably anywhere in Florida, and have and FSU fan buy him dinner.  He is revered because he stayed, winning more than he lost.

If more coaches would understand that sacrificing the short-term gains for the long-term legacy, college football would certainly be a much more interesting sport.

So, in the end, I hope Schaino stays.  We need Rutgers to be a good program, because we don't get a lot of credit for beating creampuffs.

It's a step up because usually those historically good programs offer them more money.  Rising in your profession usually leads to more money.

• Content Count:  2,461

This brings up a point I wanted to mention -- wasn't there talk about O'Liar going to Rutgers?

Did I imagine that? I remember there being a discussion.

• Content Count:  4,016

So, is Oleary a great coach for riding Kevin Smith to a conference championship?

Everyone says that Schiano is a good coach, I don't know yet. He has ridden Rice. They really have nothing else. Last year, their defense was good. Sure, they lost some players, but we lost 2 of the top 6 LBs ever to play here, and we are better this year.

Schiano didn't out coach Leavitt. Our guys were playing on a short week, on the road, RU got every call, we lost Taurus Johnson and Walt Walker, and we lost. It happens.

Even with all the bad luck in that game, you take away the BS illegal forward pass, or the BS OPI at the end, and we at least are attempting a FG to tie, or winning outright.

My point is, if Rice leaves, do you see that team continuing to be in mix for a conference championship? RU football is all about Ray Rice, and I don't think they are going to do too well once he leaves.

Check the stats Orlando the comparison isn't even close.  Teel actually stepped it up this year and RU had two thousand yard receivers this year in Britt, and Underwood.  They ran rice 335 times this year.  UCF ran Smith 417, and didn't really have much of a passing game.

• Content Count:  21,031
  • Days Won:  38

No big deal.

I don't think it was him.  I think it was the BE league boss, Traganutsackee that paid them off for that game. 

I am trying to figure out if the Big East refs are just complete morons or if there is a real conspiracy or something.  That PITT at WVU game was very interesting to me.

• Content Count:  1,412

This brings up a point I wanted to mention -- wasn't there talk about O'Liar going to Rutgers?

No, it was Syracuse

• Content Count:  2,461

No, it was Syracuse

Gotcha.

• Content Count:  1,803

Has anybody thought of the recruiting implications. Schiano loves Florida talent, that is a well known fact. If he can get Florida kids to want to play in New Jersey, imagine what he can do with the Michigan name.

• Content Count:  1,757

No big deal.

I am trying to figure out if the Big East refs are just complete morons or if there is a real conspiracy or something.  That PITT at WVU game was very interesting to me.

I do really think that it was a conspiracy.  Hell, what college league has TV commercials advertising their "league star heisman candidate" players?  The Big East, that's who. 

West Virginia would have definitely lost to Louisville and quite possibly Cincinnatti too if not for some very questionable calls.  Setting us up to loose at RU was just in time to put WVa back in the league race, knock us down and get RU back in the rankings for the WVa / RU game.  Hell, even our game against FAU had more than it's share of very questionable calls in OUR favor.   

Traganutsackee is scared that the league will turn into back it's old (BigEasy) self.  A bunch of half-good to crappy northern teams that get dominated by the one good league beast from Florida.  They would do anything to postpone or stop that from happening again.  Throw in the motivation to get their leage "Golden Child" WVa into the title game (for instant credibility) and it's not hard to see what's going on here. 

The Big East is still only 2-3 years removed from being media whipping boy, with reporters calling for us to loose the automatic BCS affiliation.  The only thing that really stopped that trend was the lack of a better league in the mid-major world of MAC's, WAC's and Mountain West's...  I think this year's bad officiating is obvious to anyone that has followed this conference.  Everyone else saw that crime at Pitt last week.  Because of the actions of our league, the media outlets have or will loose patience with us.  They are going to start attacking this conference for any reason they can. 

This bowl season will be the start.  The BE cannot (but everyone thinks they should) win all of their bowl games.  My prediction is that without BE refs to run interference, Oklahoma will dominate WVa by at least 3 TD's.  WVa is not that good, they are a three to four loss team at best without the Big Cheat.  Then we'll have the whole off-season to hear how weak the BE is again. 

Archived