• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone else hope Schiano leaves

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

Just read an article on MSN that Schiano interviewed for the Michigan job.  He's a good coach and I'd love to see him leave the Big East. Would be nice if he could take Rice with him.  Maybe if this happens Rice will forego his senior year.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  21,033
  • Days Won:  38

Meh.  Don't care either way.

• Content Count:  1,412
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah, I hope he leaves!

2 years ago when he single handedly kept the game close and gave us a chance to win at the end, I would have wanted him to stay.

However, after last year it seems he has learned patience as a coach and allow Rice to run it down our throat and take over the game.  2 years ago he would run Rice successfully half way down the field and then get greedy and try and throw it and we would stop them.  It was the most amazing thing but in the end a nice drop by a certain transfer from LSU cemented the win for Rutgers!  Then there is that whole dance in the locker room thing.

I hate Rutgers and I hope they get Elmer Fudd for a coach!

In truth, I would like the Big East -- all 8 schools -- to be desinations for coaches, not stepping stones.  Sure, I hate Schiano with a passion... he's a good coach and Rutgers will be a good team as long as he's there... But I want him to stay.

Same with Rodriguez at WVU.

This is the way I look at it:

Yes, as a career move, the historic programs (Michigan, Alabama, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, USC, etc) are better than the Big East schools.  Even USF.  But that is only the resume.  If I am a coach, and my goal is to move up in my profession -- then I aspire to be at one of the schools mentioned as by most people as an "elite" program.

However, those programs come with some very very high expectations.  The media pressure, the booster pressure, the alumni pressure, the pressure of competing with the ghosts of coaches past... it's hard enough to manage 100+ college kids without that kind of microscope.  Very few coaches at these elite schools last very long.  Those that have (Paterno, Bowden) have been there forever; very few of the rest have been at their schools for even a decade.  That is not easy to overcome.

The flip side of being a good coach at a school below the elite level (anywhere from just below all the way down to a D-III school) is the following that coach can create.  Bowden could have left FSU a long time ago... he could have coached at Alabama before FSU became FSU.  Instead, Bowden is revered on campus.  They named the field after him.  He can go anywhere in Tallahassee, probably anywhere in Florida, and have and FSU fan buy him dinner.  He is revered because he stayed, winning more than he lost.

If more coaches would understand that sacrificing the short-term gains for the long-term legacy, college football would certainly be a much more interesting sport.

So, in the end, I hope Schaino stays.  We need Rutgers to be a good program, because we don't get a lot of credit for beating creampuffs.

• Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

we should care

he is a great coach and badly out coached leavitt this year in usf's biggest game of the program with the world watching

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

On Mike and Mike in the morning they just said that he would be staying.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

on one hand, i hope he goes, because i don't like him... on another hand... i want to play his team again and squash him like a bug  ;D

• Content Count:  21,033
  • Days Won:  38

we should care

he is a great coach and badly out coached leavitt this year in usf's biggest game of the program with the world watching

True.  So on one hand I wish he would leave and on the other hand I want the Big East to have good coaches.  So either way it's a win/lose.

• Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

In truth, I would like the Big East -- all 8 schools -- to be desinations for coaches, not stepping stones.  Sure, I hate Schiano with a passion... he's a good coach and Rutgers will be a good team as long as he's there... But I want him to stay.

Same with Rodriguez at WVU.

This is the way I look at it:

Yes, as a career move, the historic programs (Michigan, Alabama, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, USC, etc) are better than the Big East schools.  Even USF.  But that is only the resume.  If I am a coach, and my goal is to move up in my profession -- then I aspire to be at one of the schools mentioned as by most people as an "elite" program.

However, those programs come with some very very high expectations.  The media pressure, the booster pressure, the alumni pressure, the pressure of competing with the ghosts of coaches past... it's hard enough to manage 100+ college kids without that kind of microscope.  Very few coaches at these elite schools last very long.  Those that have (Paterno, Bowden) have been there forever; very few of the rest have been at their schools for even a decade.  That is not easy to overcome.

The flip side of being a good coach at a school below the elite level (anywhere from just below all the way down to a D-III school) is the following that coach can create.  Bowden could have left FSU a long time ago... he could have coached at Alabama before FSU became FSU.  Instead, Bowden is revered on campus.  They named the field after him.  He can go anywhere in Tallahassee, probably anywhere in Florida, and have and FSU fan buy him dinner.  He is revered because he stayed, winning more than he lost.

If more coaches would understand that sacrificing the short-term gains for the long-term legacy, college football would certainly be a much more interesting sport.

So, in the end, I hope Schaino stays.  We need Rutgers to be a good program, because we don't get a lot of credit for beating creampuffs.

and than you have cinncy coach kelly wanting to renegotiate his 5 year deal after year one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Paying 1.7 million can get you alot of talented coahces.

No big deal.

he didn't out coach JL, he just payed the refs off.

Archived