• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Play Calling Today Was....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

I'll add a third:

Third down pass from Grothe to Taurus.  Grothe rolls to his left, gathers himself for a second, and throws a strike to Taurus on a corner route.  Beautiful pass and catch and not an easy throw.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

The difference that you saw was less dropped passes and less fumbles. USF would be sitting at least with a 9-1 record if we could have eliminated the turnovers and dropped passes against UCONN and Cincy. I have confidence in this team that they put that behind them and are moving forward.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Poor Grant.  He got the same injury as Grothe vs. Cincinnati last year.

Will he wear a clear shield now, too?

• Content Count:  136

It was by far his best playcalling of the season...

We'll see how he finishes out the last 3... Maybe he's got it figured out, hopefully so...

• Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

The best it's been all season.  I loved the fact that we used the heck out of the Wr screens which get our best athletes in a position to make plays and contribute.  Loved the fact that we used the end around as it gives teams something new to look at and will slow defenses down as they have to stay home against the play fake or an actual end around.  We FINALLY started to get some designed roll outs going so Matt can pressure the defense with his arms and legs by design instead of necessity.   And i loved the more prevalent role of play fakes and play action to keep defenses honest.   Mr. Gregory called a very good game today hopefully this translates to what we will see the rest of this season and next year.   

everything looks better when you play a crummy team

• Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

I'll add a third:

Third down pass from Grothe to Taurus.  Grothe rolls to his left, gathers himself for a second, and throws a strike to Taurus on a corner route.  Beautiful pass and catch and not an easy throw.

against better teams a right handed qb running and throwing to left usually ends in disaster

• Content Count:  26

i'm not completely sold on gregory either.  I think it was an improvement and him finally setting up the passing game correctly off the play-action and fake handoffs worked well. Ford getting so much action and starting was not so much Gregorys decision as I would think it wold be Leavitts. And this is Cuse we are talking about here....they couldn't block their way out of wet paper bag, and we didnt even execute perfectly, which i guess is tough to do about everyone. But Gregory still called 3 straight QB draws on 3rd and goal, even though it was from the 6 and 11. Good improvement, but i think there is still a ways to go

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  150

from what CJL has said repeatedly in the past--- the decision of who starts at RB starts with RB coach Carl Franks. Whether he is influenced by CJL or OCGG-- who knows. But he is the one who makes the substitutions during the game as that is his area of control. Unlike last year-- CF has much more to work with-- perhaps too much talent and not enough playing time to spread it effectively.

I understand the idea of giving a back a certain number of carries so they can establish a rythm. And while playing Ford is certainly a good move-- I wonder if there are other issues at play impacting how much time he sees. He was coming off a rib injury a few games ago-- and you don't want to push too hard under those circumstances. Other times he was in the doghouse for missing a class. I think you have to take some of those things into consideration and let the coaches do their job from a macro perspective instead of each specific game. Ford is still a freshman and while gifted-- I think he needs some more seasoning. It seems like that process is coming along well and we should see better results going forward in terms of his usage and his overall effectiveness

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

I'll add a third:

I agree.  Probably the best ball he has thrown all year.  Just beautiful.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

from what CJL has said repeatedly in the past--- the decision of who starts at RB starts with RB coach Carl Franks. Whether he is influenced by CJL or OCGG-- who knows. But he is the one who makes the substitutions during the game as that is his area of control. Unlike last year-- CF has much more to work with-- perhaps too much talent and not enough playing time to spread it effectively.

I understand the idea of giving a back a certain number of carries so they can establish a rythm. And while playing Ford is certainly a good move-- I wonder if there are other issues at play impacting how much time he sees. He was coming off a rib injury a few games ago-- and you don't want to push too hard under those circumstances. Other times he was in the doghouse for missing a class. I think you have to take some of those things into consideration and let the coaches do their job from a macro perspective instead of each specific game. Ford is still a freshman and while gifted-- I think he needs some more seasoning. It seems like that process is coming along well and we should see better results going forward in terms of his usage and his overall effectiveness

Except the FAU (the one he was disciplined for missing classes) game every time we got into scoring position Mike was in there.  What kind of doghouse is that.  If he is good enough to get touchdown touches, he is good enough to get touches other times during the game.  If he is rewarded with touchdown touches, he also must not really be in the doghouse.

Archived