• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reality check for USF: What it will take to beat WVU...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

Reality check for USF:  What it will take to beat WVU... is the perfect game from USF and some mistakes from visiting WVU.

Offensively:  Edge goes clearly to WVU.  The Mountaineers come into this game averaging over 47 PPG and giving up 17.  The Bulls are scoring 30 PPG and giving up just over 15.  Concerning points allowed both teams are very close and if both defenses play to thier potential then this game is going to come down to offensive execution, where the powerhouse running game and playaction/quick passing game of WVU will just score more points.

Defensively:  Edge on stats goes to USF but then again, this early in the season defensive stats mean little when both teams have played subpar opponents.  This will be the first real test for both teams defensively and the stats that come out of this game will be a good indication of the rest for the remainder of the season. 

Overall, this game is going to come down to USF scoring touch downs on at least 2 of thier first 3 possessions and trying to hold WVU to as many FGs as possible.  If USF allows WVU to stop them early and pull out to a 2+ TD lead I do not think the USF offense has enough firepower to come back from that deficeit.  USF has to force fumbles from sure handed WVU running backs and take away the WVU bubble screens, while at the same time somehow stopping the FB dive plays up the middle on the WVU zone read option plays.  Not an easy task and that is why I think WVU is going to be handing the Bulls thier first lost this season.

So great offensive statistics against subpar opponents are a great indicator, but great defensive statistics against subpar competition mean nothing?

Hmmmmm.........the height of logic and consistency right there, my good man.

:nope :nutkick :flush :thumbsdown

Correct.  I care not for your inflated offensive stats until I see them against our defense. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Education time!

Offensive stats matter because teams run designed plays from game 1 to whatever game we are at.  The calibur of team you play has a factor but overall the stats are a solid indicator of what a team can do on the field.  (Passes, Runs, Who is Running, Avg Gains per attempt etc).  

Defensively stats can be very misleading, for example you play a subdivision school and your team gains 10 sacks... that is not going to continue for the rest of the season.  Football is a game of 2 games, Offense and Defense.  Each are 2 completely separate entities for a team where the only common demoninator is "field position".  

So yes, I stand by my first statement.  Hhaving now educated some of you on the matter I hope you understand that early in the season, Offensive stats are more representative to how well a team is playing and  executing its game.  Defensive stats start becoming reliable around week 6-7, coincidently about the same time the BCS standings come out.

So, by this logic, Louisville is one of the best teams in the country.  Wow.

Please, stop posting while you're 3 burned couches behind us.

• Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

ditto Bull Dozer!

Also, history suggests WVU has a bit of a problem maintaining their average offnse against THE BULLS!

GO BULLS!

FINISH STRONG!

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

What a joke. Running up the score on garbage teams is a good indicator of where you are, but keeping them from scoring is not? The tougher the defense you play, the better they play against your offense. SO NO, offensively running up the score on garbage teams doesn't better indicate what you will do, it shows you can run circles around garbage teams. OUR DEFENSE MATCHES UP WELL WITH YOUR OFFENSE, however it remains to be seen whether YOUR defense matches up with OUR offense

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

why are you guys even paying any attention to this total flamer?

• Content Count:  115
  • Days Won:  0

Either way, the USF defense and the WVU defense are about the same.  So now that we have iron out that...

If everyone from Morgantown is this ignorant Friday's tailgating is going to make for very short coversation... I am going to learn to shorten my vocab so when I do talk to WV fans they are able to fully understand what I am saying.

• Content Count:  1,260

Either way, the USF defense and the WVU defense are about the same.  Both are stingy against the run, both give up just over 2 TDs a game.  So now that we have iron out that...

Let us move on to what wins games.... points!

Do you really thinkg that USF can score more points than WVU or move the ball down the field as quickly?  I do not.

WV state champ in 1990? Hmm... Is this Uncle Rico!?!  :D

• Content Count:  218

The difference between you and Louisville?  

Well, on paper thier offence is one of the best and in the real world thier offense is one of the best, if not THE best.  What is the problem with UofL you ask?

The fact that UofL gives up more points per game than the USF offense is scoring is a good indicator that they do not even have a defense.  I chalk this one up to the * club.  There are obviously extreme comparisons to be made for either side of an argument, and well picking UofL and talking about thier Defense really doesnt apply here.  The USF and WVU teams both have a defense that is reasonable and compliments thier team.  UofL has a defense that is losing games for them.... when you are averaging over 50 ppg like UofL and your D is still letting you lose, well there is no excuse for that.   This though is not going to be a factor in this Fridays game as like I have already stated, both teams have a defense that will stop the opposing offense at least once during the game.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

Either way, the USF defense and the WVU defense are about the same.  So now that we have iron out that...

If everyone from Morgantown is this ignorant Friday's tailgating is going to make for very short coversation... I am going to learn to shorten my vocab so when I do talk to WV fans they are able to fully understand what I am saying.

sometimes it helps to use puppets

• Content Count:  291

why are you guys even paying any attention to this total flamer?

Thats what i was thinking too, his logic is as flawed as his smile.

Archived