• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reality check for USF: What it will take to beat WVU...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  218
  • Days Won:  0

Reality check for USF:  What it will take to beat WVU... is the perfect game from USF and some mistakes from visiting WVU.

Offensively:  Edge goes clearly to WVU.  The Mountaineers come into this game averaging over 47 PPG and giving up 17.  The Bulls are scoring 30 PPG and giving up just over 15.  Concerning points allowed both teams are very close and if both defenses play to thier potential then this game is going to come down to offensive execution, where the powerhouse running game and playaction/quick passing game of WVU will just score more points.

Defensively:  Edge on stats goes to USF but then again, this early in the season defensive stats mean little when both teams have played subpar opponents.  This will be the first real test for both teams defensively and the stats that come out of this game will be a good indication of the rest for the remainder of the season. 

Overall, this game is going to come down to USF scoring touch downs on at least 2 of thier first 3 possessions and trying to hold WVU to as many FGs as possible.  If USF allows WVU to stop them early and pull out to a 2+ TD lead I do not think the USF offense has enough firepower to come back from that deficeit.  USF has to force fumbles from sure handed WVU running backs and take away the WVU bubble screens, while at the same time somehow stopping the FB dive plays up the middle on the WVU zone read option plays.  Not an easy task and that is why I think WVU is going to be handing the Bulls thier first lost this season.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JulmisteForPrez

Reality check for USF:  What it will take to beat WVU... is the perfect game from USF and some mistakes from visiting WVU.

Offensively:  Edge goes clearly to WVU.  The Mountaineers come into this game averaging over 47 PPG and giving up 17.  The Bulls are scoring 30 PPG and giving up just over 15.  Concerning points allowed both teams are very close and if both defenses play to thier potential then this game is going to come down to offensive execution, where the powerhouse running game and playaction/quick passing game of WVU will just score more points.

Defensively:  Edge on stats goes to USF but then again, this early in the season defensive stats mean little when both teams have played subpar opponents.  This will be the first real test for both teams defensively and the stats that come out of this game will be a good indication of the rest for the remainder of the season. 

Overall, this game is going to come down to USF scoring touch downs on at least 2 of thier first 3 possessions and trying to hold WVU to as many FGs as possible.  If USF allows WVU to stop them early and pull out to a 2+ TD lead I do not think the USF offense has enough firepower to come back from that deficeit.  USF has to force fumbles from sure handed WVU running backs and take away the WVU bubble screens, while at the same time somehow stopping the FB dive plays up the middle on the WVU zone read option plays.  Not an easy task and that is why I think WVU is going to be handing the Bulls thier first lost this season.

So great offensive statistics against subpar opponents are a great indicator, but great defensive statistics against subpar competition mean nothing?

Hmmmmm.........the height of logic and consistency right there, my good man.

:nope :nutkick :flush :thumbsdown

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

I think if our Special teams play well we will win.... The game will come down to weather or not we play well on special teams..... No turn overs or long returns foe WVU and we win.

• Content Count:  9

I like how the early season Offensive stats matter but the early Defensive stats dont....thats great logic.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

didn't we keep the blueprint from last years game? Let's go with that mmmkay?

• Content Count:  115

The ignorance of this line is beyond belief... we played a far from perfect game last year and I never felt like your Blue bi**hes had a chance and that was in your house..  I look forward to hearing your fan bases multiple excuses for this loss, now that your QB is healthy... HB's are healthy... Corners are perceived better... You have our mind reading coach... Oh and of course you are "ready" for us.  Bulls fans feel free to chime in with any other excuses you have heard to explain how an inferior opponent marched into their backyard and smacked them across the face.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Its very simple we win the battle on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and we win this game.  If we protect grothe and open enough holes to keep the WVU defense honest we will put up points.  If the defensive front 7 controls the LOS gets good penetration and is as disruptive as we were last year we will force WVU  ball carriers to run laterally where our speed will allow us to gang tackle.  If we get the same kind of pass rush as we did last year Pat White will get rattled and make some mistakes and our secondary is very opportunistic and will get some INTS.  If we control both LOS's in this game we win, if we allow WVU to control both LOS's we could be in for a long night.  This game will be won in the trenches and we are vastly improved over last season on both sides of the ball up front IMO. 

Education time!

Offensive stats matter because teams run designed plays from game 1 to whatever game we are at.  The calibur of team you play has a factor but overall the stats are a solid indicator of what a team can do on the field.  (Passes, Runs, Who is Running, Avg Gains per attempt etc).  

Defensively stats can be very misleading, for example you play a subdivision school and your team gains 10 sacks... that is not going to continue for the rest of the season.  Football is a game of 2 games, Offense and Defense.  Each are 2 completely separate entities for a team where the only common demoninator is "field position".  

So yes, I stand by my first statement.  Hhaving now educated some of you on the matter I hope you understand that early in the season, Offensive stats are more representative to how well a team is playing and  executing its game.  Defensive stats start becoming reliable around week 6-7, coincidently about the same time the BCS standings come out.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

You will lose because you have Rod Smith on your staff.

He alone can eat an entire pallet of Krispy Kreme doughnuts in 3 hours.

Either way, the USF defense and the WVU defense are about the same.  Both are stingy against the run, both give up just over 2 TDs a game.  So now that we have iron out that...

Let us move on to what wins games.... points!

Do you really thinkg that USF can score more points than WVU or move the ball down the field as quickly?  I do not.

Archived