• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe Arrested For Serving Booze To Minor

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

Don’t change the subject. You agreed with grouper that the ATF would set up a special "sting" in order to obtain an high profile arrest (that being matt grothe). That is undoubtedly not what happen.

Certified govt employee, congrats. I'm assuming you also think that because you have 343 post, all of your statements have more credibility then mine.

Back to my point, ATF makes bust like these every night, its nothing special. ATF are regulars at all the bars scenes in tally, with arrest nightly. Were they targeting some big wigs as well? What about all of my acquaintances who have been or know someone who has been arrested by the ATF? They hot shots too? Fact is there is no way in hell for you to "undoubtfully" decide the arresting agency picked out grothe in order to boost their image.

No, my statements have more credibility than yours because you apparently failed at reading comprehension back in grade school.

-The government, as a general rule, CAN and DOES target high profile individuals. That's not to say that being a "hot shot" is a prerequisite for arrests as you seem to imply in your post

-My gut instict was that this was case in MG's arrest. Triple B's post made me doubt. Does that constitute "changing the subject". I guess what' you're saying is that a person, when introduced to additional facts, cannot change their assessment?

-And can you "undoubtedly" PROVE that the arrest was NOT targeting MG in particular? Until you can, you're comments are just as speculative and unfounded as you accuse mine of being.

Why do I not find it surprising that you have alot of "acquaintences" who have been arrested?  ;D

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Arrests like this are pointless. This law is broken in every college atmosphere basically every night but it's whenever the agencies decide they need more money hence pointless arrests like this. I have never agreed with the drinking age being 21 in the first place. At 18 you can go to Iraq, well **** you should be able to buy a beer.

not pointless for poor schnook that gets arrested

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

I am certain that someone told the officers at the establishment who this guy was, if they didn't already know.

You were there?

Perhaps they felt like they needed to arrest him to avoid any appearance of favoritism.  It is just unfortunate if this was a simple mistake.

I really don't think the arrest had anything to do with who Matt is or isn't. Maybe they treat bartenders with a little less leeway than convenience store clerks .....

Bottom line is he screwed up, and who hasn't, so he'll pay his debt to society and we all move on ..... hopefully.

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

Fear tactics????? Its not fear tactics.....its scientific fact. Alcohol influences your reaction time and judgement. Thats not fear tactics thats fact. I should be able to take my kids to the store without the risk of some immature, irresponsible punk possibly killing us because he cant handle his drug consumption.....thus you need legislation, people are too ignorant to legislate themselves.  This isnt utopia.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Don’t change the subject. You agreed with grouper that the ATF would set up a special "sting" in order to obtain an high profile arrest (that being matt grothe). That is undoubtedly not what happen.

Certified govt employee, congrats. I'm assuming you also think that because you have 343 post, all of your statements have more credibility then mine.

Back to my point, ATF makes bust like these every night, its nothing special. ATF are regulars at all the bars scenes in tally, with arrest nightly. Were they targeting some big wigs as well? What about all of my acquaintances who have been or know someone who has been arrested by the ATF? They hot shots too? Fact is there is no way in hell for you to "undoubtfully" decide the arresting agency picked out grothe in order to boost their image.

Hang on a second now.. i didn't say that they setup a special bust or anything of the sort.  All I suggested was that had it not been Matt, he wouldn't have been arrested.  Maybe I am wrong or maybe there is more to this story.  I think someone posted earlier back that they also busted two gas stations, both employees received warnings, and one was arrested when they busted him a second time the same day (now he definitely deserved that).

I am certain that someone told the officers at the establishment who this guy was, if they didn't already know.  Perhaps they felt like they needed to arrest him to avoid any appearance of favoritism.  It is just unfortunate if this was a simple mistake.  

As far as the gas stations, one clerk was given an arrest citation, and wasn't actually arrested because she was the only person in the store at the time. The guy at the Shell across the street was given a warning the first time and arrested the second time

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

I feel bad for Matt that some low-life federal agency wanted to make a name for itself by harassing a college football player.

Actually, it was a state agency...but your point is still valid. I can't help but wonder if he was being "targeted" so they could get a high-profile bust. Actually, I don't wonder at all -- that is undoubtedly what happened.

They make these arrest all the time.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  478

not sure how you can turn this against MADD. It is a bartenders job to check the patrons i.d. If they didnt do these types of stings then bars would serve to every 18 yr old in the county with no fear of reprecussions. Until you form a lobby movement to change the legal drinking age to 18, it is 21. MADD is a great organization with a worthy cause.

MADD uses fear tactics to fiat laws on states. MADD is the reason the drinking age is 21. MADD is the reason the margin for DUI went from .15, to .12, to .10, to .08 in every state. MADD is singlehandedly ripping the rights of states to decide their own laws away from them.

I agree that fighting drunk driving is a good thing, but MADD uses tactics of federalism and fear to mandate laws to states, blackmailing them into passing absurd laws in order to keep their access to federal highway funding.

ummmm. thats kinda true ya'll. However, if ya'll lost a son or daughter to drunk driving.... not saying that they are right in HOW they go about things - but i understand WHY they go about things in this manner.

And I don't see that changing any time soon....

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  958

I should have seen this coming a month ago when a coworker of mine whom is underaged was telling about how he can get alcohol at the bullring.  Somebody probably did tip off the police.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  292

I can totally understand why Matt may need to work in the off season.  Plenty of student athletes need to make some additional $$ to help suppliment the scholorship money that they receive.  Just because he is on a full scholly doesn't mean he can pay for everything (i.e. living expenses).  Many student athletes have to take out loans, get off season jobs, etc. just like any other student.

What I can't understand is why would he work in that kind of envirnonment?  It couldn't have been for long as I'm sure there are people from the athletic dept., professors, etc. that go there and would have heard that he was working there.  Why would management of the Bull Ring even let him work there.  Just dumb ass thinking on all sides if you ask me.

There has to be some policy in place that requires an athlete to disclose where he/she is working.  It's almost a given for compliance purposes as an athlete is only allowed to make so much $$ in proportion to their scholly.  

Matt must have been doing this on his own and I really just can't believe he would made the decision to work at a bar.  Hell Matt, I could use you help at my office to do some financial work...sure would be less risky than working at a bar.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

not sure how you can turn this against MADD. It is a bartenders job to check the patrons i.d. If they didnt do these types of stings then bars would serve to every 18 yr old in the county with no fear of reprecussions. Until you form a lobby movement to change the legal drinking age to 18, it is 21. MADD is a great organization with a worthy cause.

MADD uses fear tactics to fiat laws on states. MADD is the reason the drinking age is 21. MADD is the reason the margin for DUI went from .15, to .12, to .10, to .08 in every state. MADD is singlehandedly ripping the rights of states to decide their own laws away from them.

I agree that fighting drunk driving is a good thing, but MADD uses tactics of federalism and fear to mandate laws to states, blackmailing them into passing absurd laws in order to keep their access to federal highway funding.

ummmm. thats kinda true ya'll. However, if ya'll lost a son or daughter to drunk driving.... not saying that they are right in HOW they go about things - but i understand WHY they go about things in this manner.

And I don't see that changing any time soon....

Belle your right on the money.  MADD has been trying to change us from a reprenstative republic into a dictatorship over many years.  They are only recentlyseeing the fruits of that evil labor.  For every kid  they think they save, they relegate four times that many into perpetual servitude in which  redemption is nonexistent. For shame!-