• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Friday Night Lights-WVU Game Moved

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

As far as the money goes, do we get it all or is it put into a pot with all other BE teams' tv money and distributed evenly?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Hmm... what's bad about being on national-fricking-TV?

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

Sweet an extra hour for tailgating!

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

As far as the money goes, do we get it all or is it put into a pot with all other BE teams' tv money and distributed evenly?

Triple it works a lil'differently from what I understand.  The Conference signs an overall dollar contract which is distributed by the conference to members each yaer.  Each year when games are selected, each team playing in a televised game gets a bonus, or more money for that year (remember the tv contract isn't a lump sum it's paid annually), and the home team gets an extra bonus.  USF hosting an ESPN televised game can be very lucrative to the tune of a couple hundred thousand to the U.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

lets call espn and play all our home games on Friday nights.... lol then we can pay our coaches.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

I agree on both sides, as fickled as that may sound.

I think Friday night should be left alone for HS football. Although not the most watched sport in Tampa, it's huge in other parts of the country. A couple of highlights on Sportscenter will not show a potential recruit what USF football is all about. Yes, I think it makes a difference.

ESPN money is good any night, or day. Do they pay more on Friday night or Saturday at noon? I agree, we can't afford to turn down any extra cash.

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

No offense 83, but first choice is Sat, 2nd choice would be Thurs.  Friday night is for HS.  I understand the money involved, I love the national attention, and I will be there no matter what day or night they play, but it means no HS players can watch the game or attend.

Who cares?  I never attended on HS game back in HS, and my senior year we had the #1 running back in the state.  I had to work every Friday like many teenagers.  Are you talking about HS football players?  Do you not think that most local HS players have heard of USF?  Is some HS player from Miami going to drive to Tampa to watch the game?  Ever hear of a VCR?  I heard that now there is this new fangled thing called DVR that does not use tapes.  Heck, even ESPN will have highlights.  May a national game will expose us to those lazy college coaches who vote in the polls, and they might actually throw us a bone or two for a change.

The money from ESPN does not hurt either, since we can barely pay any of the assistant coaches or the coaches in our other sports.

My main point of the post was saying that I would choose Sat or Thurs over Friday if the choice was given.  83 said Fri was better than Thurs.  I respectfully disagreed, but I did state that I love the money and attention it brings.

I understand that a HS Football player can tape the game and see highlights, but that does not substitute being a guest of the team, sitting with other recruits and watching (hopefully) two of the best teams in the Big East battle it out in person.  Maybe the experience sways a recruit come signing day?  Of course we play the Ville at home too, so that is nice for HS players to see.  I wasn't concerned about high school students, just athletes.  

I would think players from all over the state attend the games if they have an interest in playing here a year later.  Have to ask a recruiting guru about that though.

Edit:  By the way, not to make this a conference debate, but the SEC cares.  I think they have a policy of scheduling NO games on Friday night because of HS football.

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

YAY!

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

Leavitt isn't a big fan of Friday night games...it takes the focus off of the HS game and we can't get recruits there. Given that this will be one of the bigger games on our schedule, i'm sure it'll have an impact on recruiting. From a recruiting standpoint being on ESPN doesnt matter because the recruits wont be able to watch, but maybe they'll catch something on sportscenter. I'm just glad this game isnt later in the year.

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

We wouldn't play Friday Night games if we had an on campus stadium!  lol   ;)

can-o-worms.jpg